11GT3RS Roll Bar or Rear Cage

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Is the CS bar bolted to the plate that is welded in; am I seeing that correctly?
That is accurate.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
It's beyond weak that Porsche deletes these from US cars.
Note savvyboy mentioned this to Andreas P (head of GT car production) during the GT2RS delivery event. So maybe in future cars the plates will be in place for the NA crowd. Thanks savvyboy!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same questions initially about which type/design of roll cage. It is unfortunate that we cannot get the Club Sport options here in the States any longer. But, there are work-arounds readily available. To me, if the "real-deal" Porsche part is available that's what I want. I received the Porsche OEM Club Sport bar from Gert at Carnewal last week and it will be going in the car when it is out of winter storage. Drilling 3 8mm holes in the floor down by each B-pillar and fashioning a doubler plate is a relatively easy job and will result in "damn close" to what the car would have had you bought it in, say France, and had specified the Club Sport package. For me, there's no contest in this instance of OEM vs. aftermarket. Cheers,
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Note savvyboy mentioned this to Andreas P (head of GT car production) during the GT2RS delivery event. So maybe in future cars the plates will be in place for the NA crowd. Thanks savvyboy!
In the spirit of "never satisfied" I'd say the factory plates are underwhelming. It will be good to have them in the car, but I'd still have a fabricator with great TIG skills go back and stitch in more beef and paint over to match.

ps. Anybody know the sticker shock on getting Ruf to do an IRC retrofit on a 997.2 GT3 RS ... ? (I know ... "If you have to ask...")
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see the need for the reinforcement plates with the CS bar.

That said, why does the large plate need to be welded to the floor? It appears the large plate sits atop the floor, and a smaller plate with three bolts runs through the floor from below (after holes are cut in the floor). The bolts run through the floor, the large plate, and the bar base. Nylock bolts "sandwich" the floor and large plate between the smaller plate (bottom) and bar base (top).

If so, why weld? It doesn't look like the reinforcement plate is going anywhere.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed Polarcharger!

The "sandwich"bolt through option IMO, is probably just as good as welded, under the circumstances in North America.
I'm leaning this way for this coming Spring operation.

Quick Reply: 11GT3RS Roll Bar or Rear Cage