Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

removing shims..do I need to reset toe ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
Default removing shims..do I need to reset toe ?

Do I have to put the car on an alignment rack if I remove an equal amount of shim from each side.

I have the struts rotated and shims added, but have -3.5 neg front. I want to remove one big shim, and one small shim from each side. For around -2.5 to -2.75

Does anyone have a picture of the lower control arm bolt, that they can post, so that I know which one to loosen ?

Will the car's steering wheel be all messed up if I just remove shims ?

Is it easier to due with the front wheels off the car ?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You should re-align the car.

Steering wheel should not be messed up but toe should re-checked when camber is changed as
camber will affect toe.

BTW become a Rennlist member, it's cheap!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

toe will change, re-align the car.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow Victor's advise! You Toe will be off.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I am +1 on a fresh alignment and because it is a street car the rear toe eccentric bolts tend to lose the numbers quite easily so unless you have upgrade those do check them often.
Also check all your suspension nuts bolts in every alignment

Interestingly on the specific issue of removing or adding camber shims without the need for a new alignment Porsche Motorsport allows that in the cup workshop manual for the race cars without the need for a new alignment. That is why the shims do come in various thicknesses so that it is predetermined what the effect of each is as far as camber change is concerned. I guess that for a quick race small crude camber change that could work.
But since we are not into racing do a proper alignment.

Btw the correct sequence of alignment is:

Ride height
Rear camber
Rear toe
Front camber
Front toe
Corner weights and recheck height
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2010, 10:13 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I am +1 on a fresh alignment and because it is a street car the rear toe eccentric bolts tend to lose the numbers quite easily so unless you have upgrade those do check them often.
Also check all your suspension nuts bolts in every alignment

Interestingly on the specific issue of removing or adding camber shims without the need for a new alignment Porsche Motorsport allows that in the cup workshop manual for the race cars without the need for a new alignment. That is why the shims do come in various thicknesses so that it is predetermined what the effect of each is as far as camber change is concerned. I guess that for a quick race small crude camber change that could work.
But since we are not into racing do a proper alignment.

Btw the correct sequence of alignment is:

Ride height
Rear camber
Rear toe
Front camber
Front toe
Corner weights and recheck height
Sorry maybe a dumb question but when checking corner weights at the end of alignment the heights need adjusting does that mean it has to be checked and adjusted all over again,as i thought height changes mess with the camber,cheers in advance
Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Sorry maybe a dumb question but when checking corner weights at the end of alignment the heights need adjusting does that mean it has to be checked and adjusted all over again,as i thought height changes mess with the camber,cheers in advance

Good question and it has to do with tolerances allowed by factory in all measurements and the how they interact with each other.
You set the required initial height first then align camber and toe and then corner weight and try to keep everything within spec. Usually when car is ok everything will come within the factory tolerances plus minus what is permitted.
Of course I assume after cornering within 10-20kg you can re adjust other numbers if they are really off, but usually 2-3mm will do it. Gt3’s are quite balanced from factory despite the rumors of being heavy in the ***. : )
Check the street and cup manual accordingly:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: removing shims..do I need to reset toe ?