Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New RS arrived - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely stunning color combo. My fav, for sure. Subtle and very, very, very classy! How about some pics of the interior, please?!?!!

I was going to comment how amazing it is that you already got a customized FL plate, since I had to wait over 4 months to get mine here in CA. But then I read how you got the wrong color car on your custom order. OMFG! I think I would have had a heart attack right there on the dealership showroom floor. Either that or kill someone. So glad you remained calm and finally got your dream. Cheers! Now go out an flog it at the track!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

+1 What Carrera GT said.

You'll scratch calipers with 3 piece BBS. Personally I don't care because the calipers will be fried brown soon anyway and the caliper clearance is the same as on the CUP cars, and they seem to work OK.

I never ran 19" so I don't know for sure. I just do whatever CUP cars do and assume it will work ;-)

Here with prices, not a big difference. The Toyo's WERE $700.00 a set, but most cheap ones are gone now.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I've met people running Hooters at very low cold pressures and this is a mistake. You have to run them at pressure and bleed down with heat -- being lazy is never an option for the track.
How do you not start too low? If my PSI goes up 14PSI and I want to end up at 40PSI I must leave on 26PSI and likely continue to bleed as the temp goes up during the day. Just wondering if there is more to it..

But be prepared to do the tedious heat-cycling and wheel swaps.
What do you mean heat cycling? Like bedding the pads?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How do you not start too low? If my PSI goes up 14PSI and I want to end up at 40PSI I must leave on 26PSI and likely continue to bleed as the temp goes up during the day. Just wondering if there is more to it..

What do you mean heat cycling? Like bedding the pads?
Hoosier recommends no less PSI and 10% of the curb weight (so no less than 31 psi cold in 3100 lb lard **** like a GT3. : ) I like to run 'em as hot as possible (though not more than 40) so it does require starting at say 32 all round, then bleeding down during the first session in the hot pit. At least that's what I do. It's easy if you have the tpms of an '09 or later. I get used to counting "one thousand one, one thousand two" to keep the balance.

For heat cycling, check the Hoosier site or search for posts/threads, especially in the racing forum (if you can stomach the ego factor.) It's sort of like bedding pads -- the objective being to use operating temperatures to "condition" the full depth of the tire carcass to improve peak grip and (greatly) improve durability and lifespan.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for my plate, I have had it for many years now. It was first used on my black 1994 RS America, than on my orange 2007 RS, and now on the 2011 RS. This is how I keep track of time passing in my life (??!!).
Back in May when the car arrived with the wrong color, I could not bring myself to approach it. I saw it from inside the dealership as the salesman drove it to the front, and I would not get out. I was afraid if I got real close it would be difficult yo reject it. However I did reject it and it was sold the next day at full sticker.

I will take some interior pics next weekend and post.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

If running 19", the P Zero Trofeo is another option, in OEM sizes. Anybody has experience with them?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car. Looks stunning!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey....any idea about the clicking noise you refer to. My dealer tried replacing rear wheel bearings, and clicking noise still present. They lubed the axels, and noise went away for a brief time. The clicking noise seems to come and go. Not at idle, sometimes puttering around slow, and othertimes when turning.

Sounds like coming from right wheel....

PS...sorry to butt into your thread
Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

great combination.

enjoy it

Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

so it does require starting at say 32 all round, then bleeding down during the first session in the hot pit. At least that's what I do.
Thanks for tha Carerra GT!
I was very cold at Sebring, so we took turns and left the tire pressure gauge on the pit wall.
If a car came in, one of us world jump the wall and lower pressures if needed. In my case they also wiped my windshield and gave me a fxxxing Twinky.

At least the Tire pressure stayed under 40, but the Toyo's still overheat and get greasy after lap 5, but now we know for sure it is temp, not PSI
Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks for tha Carerra GT!
I was very cold at Sebring, so we took turns and left the tire pressure gauge on the pit wall.
If a car came in, one of us world jump the wall and lower pressures if needed. In my case they also wiped my windshield and gave me a fxxxing Twinky.

At least the Tire pressure stayed under 40, but the Toyo's still overheat and get greasy after lap 5, but now we know for sure it is temp, not PSI
Sounds like you had a lot of fun to treat it that seriously -- bravo!

Those R888's have a bad reputation. If only the dear, old RA1's were in the right 19 sizes.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Tons of fun. So seriously that I stayed relatively sober at the bar at the Chateau this year ;-)
We are all running those good'ol 07 date stamped 18" RA1's

Quick Reply: New RS arrived - first impressions