Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Call for help (intentional cross thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Call for help (intentional cross thread)

I posted this in the Turbo forum, but I want more opinions/ideas. I have some to the conclusion that I have too much ****. I want to start to condense my cars. I am thinking of starting by taking my M3 daily driver and RS and putting them toward a nice daily driver that I can track on occasion. (I have a track car.) Would it be idiotic to drive a Turbo S as a daily driver? Flame away...as long as you include another idea for me to drive!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I dunno, I find my RS is a fine daily driver than I can track on occasion. It's not like you need to handle bad weather down here in Texas. The only concession I've had to make is the addition of a set of track wheels so I can put more durable tires on the car for non-track driving.

It will crush your soul to have to drive up and down 2222 in anything less than that GT3.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I have some to the conclusion that I have too much ****.
You mean too much time to think about your **** right?

Not idiotic at all, the Turbo S is awesome but I'd leave things alone and have a beer instead.

M3 is easier as a real and only DD, it fits more crap; no attention getter and park anywhere kinda car.
The RS is more exciting for the occasional fun drive, DIY photo shoot and occasional show up / drive home track event.

+1 RS is fine as daily driver as long as you have a backup car as well.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. kick back and have a beer and enjoy your lot.
if you must though, i suggest an evosport c63.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Nothing wrong with considering a Turbo S. Just a very, very different car from the RS. Will you miss the bling and rawness of the RS? Will the TT-S' planet-stopping torque and plusher interior (+rear seats too) make you happy?

FWIW I DD my RS and probably wouldn't do the trade.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Happy medium --> GT2 IMHO.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I posted this in the Turbo forum, but I want more opinions/ideas. I have some to the conclusion that I have too much ****. I want to start to condense my cars. I am thinking of starting by taking my M3 daily driver and RS and putting them toward a nice daily driver that I can track on occasion. (I have a track car.) Would it be idiotic to drive a Turbo S as a daily driver? Flame away...as long as you include another idea for me to drive!
a turbo is as useless as an RS.
no one fits in the back. my friends are human not ET.
and plus, i hate having passenger behind me anyways.
a TT is as expensive as RS and both are too fast for street.
so why trade one useless car for another.
my point is that if you can DD a TT, you can DD an RS.
both are cop bait, getting one tix a week vs two tix a week, who are we fooling here?
both are outrageous.
if you are playing with m3, RS, and TT, i would just sell m3 and keep RS.

or if u really want to get a useful car, sell m3 and RS, buy a pano, pepper TT (surprising good car), M5 ... something that's really useful.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
Having too many cars can post a pain in the *** at times.
But sometimes not having enough out of one car can suck too.

the turbo S is great way to have a "do it all" fun car. It is as easy to live with as M3 for DD and is great fun at the track. win-win.

Having a M3 for DD and RS for play is also a great way to do both with the best of both worlds but agreed it is a little excessive since both make fair DD and track toys anyhow.

I personally wouldnt go out of my way to feel depreciation on the M3 and RS to move into a new turbo S just yet.
Perhaps sell the M3 this march (or give to wife), and continue DD in the RS while you are young at heart until the new 991 Turbo is released at which point you trade in the RS.....
Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. Drove the .1 GT3 as a DD for ~36K miles. RS less but also as DD at times. Took the Pan TT out for a test and knew it would be a great commuter, kid hauler, grocery getter, back road "tear up the asphalt "burner right away. Only drawback is that in traffic; without the clutch, the PDK will lull me to sleep (literally).

Give a PTT a test drive...it just might be the answer

Keep all of the other toys, BYW
Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 AM
GT2 RS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy Short Wheel Base Alpina B7
and tuned it with the latest Dinan software or wait for the upcoming M5.
and how about CLS63 AMG ?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great input. The final call is to shoot the Harley to start with and sit back for a while. Its sick listening to some of out conversations...arguing with the wife on who has to take the BMW Z8 out to get some miles on it so it does not rot away! The most plausible solution that I came up with was to sell the RS and M3, get a 911 GTS for a DD.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:20 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't quite understand your dilemma, you have a great track toy which can also substitute for a good weekend drive, you have an excellent daily driver in the M3 and you causing yourself a headache? for what? I would keep them both and thank your lucky stars to have such a blessing. This opinion is based on the fact that I have a Cayenne Turbo for pulling my GT3, a 996 convertible for a top down weekend driver and an E350 for the daily battle. Enjoy your cars, life is too short.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

arguing with the wife on who has to take the BMW Z8 out to get some miles on it so it does not rot away! The most plausible solution that I came up with was to sell the RS and M3, get a 911 GTS for a DD.
That's no solution.
Relax and leave it alone you got the perfect garage; You're married, you'll just argue about something else...
Old 12-26-2010, 01:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
....You're married, you'll just argue about something else...
LOL, you know it.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
[...] the Pan TT [...] Only drawback is that in traffic; without the clutch, the PDK will lull me to sleep (literally)
I think the Panamera Turbo is just too expensive (even though it's far cheaper than its competitors!) and heavy and even, dare it be said, powerful. But if "too much is never enough" then by all means -- but get the Power Kit version or wait for the inevitable "Turbo S" variant ... or wait a few months and see what facelift it gets to keep up with the 2012-2013 product cycle, or the Hybrid version towards the end of 2011.

Definitely budget on ordering the automatic cruise control. I have the same thing on a Benz GL and use it religiously to avoid bumping into the car in front when napping during "slow-n-go" commute traffic.

As a safe, fast, point-to-point express, the Panamera 4 (the 3.6 Porsche V6) is ideal -- light, accurate handling, sharp throttle response and ample acceleration with 1st gear readily accessible in PDK. By comparison, I liked the torque of the V8, but didn't like its breathless high end as it approached the redline. The Turbo has lag, but it's more a case of going from huge power to even huger power. And once it spools up, PDK will keep the boost and keep the rear suspension mashed into the ground for at least two upshifts before there's any hint of a power curve. But aside from the track for a few novelty laps (and immediate replacement of tires and pads) where would you use this car in the USA? This country is afraid of a 200 mph train, so I'm not expecting to have a 200 mph road any time soon.

If anything, I would challenge Porsche to put turbos on the V6, bring it up to the same sort of 550-620 hp they can get out of the flat six 3.6 displacement and let the market decide if the future is in V8's. The fly in the ointment there is that a simple V6 turbo (and why not a flat six in the front of a Panamera?) would shame their forthcoming Hybrid cars -- 90% of the fuel efficiency, 150% of the outright performance with none of the complexity or operating costs or weight or sticker price ...

Quick Reply: Call for help (intentional cross thread)