Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Road Atlanta - track question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Atlanta - track question

This probably way way off topic for this forum, but you guys seem to have the answer to pretty much everything Porsche related I can think of so...

We are heading to GA for the last race of LeMans this year - and was wondering if you have any tips on where to stay, best seats, etc.

I generally go to Long Beach and Monterey every year and know the tracks well - I especially like how Laguna Seca has great places to sit and take photos. Is Road Atlanta a place where you can walk the track and check out various corners, or is it more like Long Beach, where they try to block everything but your view from your seat?

We usually stay in Buckhead - which I think is an hour from the track. Has anyone rented a motorhome and parked at the track?

Assume our budget is enough to cover some decent seats or a suite (?), given that we are skipping Montreal next year and making this our big race.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Buckhead is an hour plus away; stay at Don Panoz's (he owns Road ATL, Mosport, etc.) nearby Chateau Elan.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road Atlanta is a great track to drive & watch a race. Highly recommended for both, with great access to a variety of vantage points from which to watch. And next year at Petit Le Mans you will see Porsche's new RSRs, Ferrari 458s, Lambo Gallardos, BMW M3s, 'Vettes, & others battle in GT2...
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Buckhead if you need a little night life and great food eateries

Chateau Elan if you want very nice accomodations and close proximity of track -

Road A seats....I do not suggest purchasing the top of the line ticket pass....you get a meal and a seat near the pits....to me the best part of Road A is the ability to move around all over the track. I like the 3 day General admission pass w/ pit pass unless you are fortunate enough to have team credentials/or the PCAR Tent pass....

There are motor home rentals but these fill up pretty quick - call the track for more info
Old 12-23-2010, 12:57 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ +1 on Chateau Elan
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxyz
This probably way way off topic for this forum, but you guys seem to have the answer to pretty much everything Porsche related I can think of so...

We are heading to GA for the last race of LeMans this year - and was wondering if you have any tips on where to stay, best seats, etc.

I generally go to Long Beach and Monterey every year and know the tracks well - I especially like how Laguna Seca has great places to sit and take photos. Is Road Atlanta a place where you can walk the track and check out various corners, or is it more like Long Beach, where they try to block everything but your view from your seat?

We usually stay in Buckhead - which I think is an hour from the track. Has anyone rented a motorhome and parked at the track?

Assume our budget is enough to cover some decent seats or a suite (?), given that we are skipping Montreal next year and making this our big race.

Thanks

Chateau Elan. You will want to be as close to the track as possible!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Chateau Elan (~7 miles), unless you want decent restaurants/nightlife. It is about 40 miles into anything that resembles city life (Buckhead), so they have you captive. Near Mall of Georgia (~15 miles from the track), there is the full range of Hampton Inns, Courtyards and the like with the typical Olive Gardens, Outbacks, etc...

As an fun alternative, you could rent a house boat on Lake Lanier (~20 miles).

For the most part, once you are at the track, you can get around "fairly" well. It is pretty crowded for Petit LeMans, so just maneuvering in and out of the all the people is the biggest challenge.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:11 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Lot's of camping inside the track. Chateau is the only high end resort in proximity. I typically stay at the courtyard inn and suites for rd atl track events. Sports bars, Tex-Mex and other low key options. It's a very hilly track, so bring a camp chair and wear good hiking type shoes. After a day at this track all you'll want is hot water and a good bed. A great spectator's track
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Thanks for the advice and feedback - I will check out the spots recommended. I'm hoping to do the motorhome thing - that is generally a great way to see all the action and connect with other race fans. If any of you are going, let me know.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta - track question