Traqmate recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Why is your car whistling like a Turbo?
Shhhhh! It's my secret mod to keep up with the fast guys! I think it's the cheap camera picking up some ground noise from the electrical system.

The RK system above does a great job of the data/video synch. Amazing how far these systems have come in two years.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RaceKeeper seems to be the best bang for the buck, especially for 911's because it works as advertised. If you search for posts on racekeeper, you'll see references and comparison to the other various devices. I've tried several and concluded upon the RK. Aside from the mic noise problem (as evidenced in the video above) it's been great to have it in the car. At the cost of stating the obvious, once you have data acquisition, track days are even more fun and having real data is essential working on the car setup and the driver skills.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racekeeper doesn't need a local support system. It is very easy to install and to use. The Software is intuitive and easy to set up. For the money, i was amazed at the quantity and quality of output. Automatically draws the track and it will collect more data than you can use. If you go the RK route, get two HD cameras, Dual Comparo and the OBDII interface. Best bang for the buck.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
Racekeeper doesn't need a local support system. It is very easy to install and to use. The Software is intuitive and easy to set up. For the money, i was amazed at the quantity and quality of output. Automatically draws the track and it will collect more data than you can use. If you go the RK route, get two HD cameras, Dual Comparo and the OBDII interface. Best bang for the buck.
That's it in a nutshell, but RK certainly needs support -- they're relying upon how easily it can be installed, but once you want things like analog pick-ups (steering position, brake pedal, real time throttle position, suspension position) I'm sure the race teams expect to be able to get things working without trial and error.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Orli930
Thanks, it looks like I will be going with the racekeeper
NEWS!!! The RENNLIST discount is now active again through 12/6 - 15%
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
@DD95 I think the were at Sebring is answered in two words: THE TRACK, come on my man synch theim up.
I still don't have the video running yet. More interested the data. I'm a dork. I know... Not to mention it's just easier slapping the data box on the floor and driving without fiddling with the camera. At my level I want to see where I'm coasting and braking too early. Which I'm doing both. A lot. Killing my times I'm sure. I didn't know it till I starting reviewing my laps.

I've used the RK system at the Porsche School at Barber. It's really nice. Very easy to use. Like I said before, it's very cool to be able to bum data from people faster than you (which is pretty much everybody if we're using me as an example), so you can compare. I'm not sure there's enough RK's out there to allow you to do this.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
You have Traqmate?
Yes, I'm number 2 on Verbotn's "hand me down" list behind Terry Reidell

Picked it up from him about 6-8 months ago. You can borrow it whenever you want. The data box has velcro and runs on batteries. It sticks really nicely to the floor mat velcro pad. Run the gps antenna out the window on to your roof (painters tape under of course) and you're capturing data in about 20 seconds. I already have the start stop gps point pre loaded into the controller.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Like I said before, it's very cool to be able to bum data from people faster than you (which is pretty much everybody if we're using me as an example), so you can compare. I'm not sure there's enough RK's out there to allow you to do this.
If everyone had that attitude then there would only be one DL system out there - the first one to market. Just saying....

Best thing is to get a faster driver behind the wheel of your own car and in this case the brand of data logging system won't matter. Comparing different cars in addition to drivers can be very misleading.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
If everyone had that attitude then there would only be one DL system out there - the first one to market. Just saying....

Best thing is to get a faster driver behind the wheel of your own car and in this case the brand of data logging system won't matter. Comparing different cars in addition to drivers can be very misleading.
Quite some time ago, several companies including at least RK, AiM and Race Technology were all talking about having import/conversion software to read the data files from other acquisition products. I don't see that feature in RK yet, but it would be great to import from Traqmate and AiM to RK. (yes, I should find my password and put in the feature request at the RK forum site.)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

... I'm not sure there's enough RK's out there to allow you to do this.
Check around at your next event. There were a bunch of RK systems purchased with the group buy, and they are still coming - three more this week!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ

What if I'm not comfortable letting someone throw down hero laps in my car?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Quite some time ago, several companies including at least RK, AiM and Race Technology were all talking about having import/conversion software to read the data files from other acquisition products. I don't see that feature in RK yet, but it would be great to import from Traqmate and AiM to RK. (yes, I should find my password and put in the feature request at the RK forum site.)
Now that would be a feature. I don't see it happening, but it would be cool.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:23 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

What if I'm not comfortable letting someone throw down hero laps in my car?
I trust my driving coach. Not anyone else.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

I agree that it would be really cool to be able to import data from one system to another. But the reality of doing this is extremley unlikely due to the complexities of each system. For instance, RK logs data from the accelerometers and GPS (gps actually updates 4-5 times a second) at 30 times a second, which corresponds to the frame rate of the video - producing one record of all the data for each video frame. I am not familiar enought with other system to know what their data logging rates are, but I think you can see where this is going. A real PITA to correlate all the data. Not to mention trying to sync video from one system to the video of another. Anyone out there want to try and this?

I have been told that one of the new features that will be included in the release of Comparo that will be shown at the PRI show next week will be a data export feature (developed as a requirement for one of the pro series that use RK) which will allow the user to export session data in a CSV file. I other systems allow data export in that type of format, then some crude analysis could be made.

Anyhow, yes comparison of information from different systems would be nice, but.........

Hey, how about this....... take two or more laptops and play the sessions toghether, RK on one, TM on another, or play them both back on one computer in differnet windows and display them on a large format monitor!!!!!!

Last edited by BnS Racing; 12-04-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I recently installed the Traqmate system with Traqstudio and couldn't be happier. Gives me all the data I need at this point, is easy to use and the video is outstanding. Really is plug and play.

Quick Reply: Traqmate recommendations