Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Traqmate recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Orli930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traqmate recommendations

I have been tracking for 4 years, I am going to finally add a Traqmate. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I have heard good and bad things.

Just not sure what to get.

Orlando
Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There are many threads on this with a lot of detail information, do a search. My vote goes to RacePak IQ3/G2X or AIM Evo4.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:30 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

We recently had a GB for RaceKeeper here and we all love it....I would not waste my money on traqmate....as a matter of fact you may find several that are willing to sell you their TM to get a RK.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Gus F
Instructor

The racekeeper system is so easy to use!!!
The many ways it offers for data analysis, auto sync of up to 4 cameras, the comparo feature where you can compare no only the data but also you can see the video for the laps side to side so you can clearly see what happened, installation is so simple and you can also buy a wireless display iphone app (I still have to make this work, I didn't have time to do the setup).
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Orli930
Advanced

Thanks, it looks like I will be going with the racekeeper
Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Orlando,

Race keeper is maybe better. Heard good things, certainly easer.
Either way the installer / teacher / coach is important.

David Tuaty coached me and he sells both. Call him:
David Tuaty
2101 SW 67 ave
Miami FL 33155
305-216-5390
www.TuatyLeiraMotorsports.com

He installed, upgraded and taught me how it works. Traqmate advantage is we can all share data..
Old 11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

A few guys in our club use Race Technology.

http://www.race-technology.com/home_8.html
Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

I've do a ton of research and have drawn the conclusion that the race keeper system is dramatically limited by it's current exposure in the market place.
Race keepers primary development has been steeped in the race school environment, in fact their direct to consumer retail efforts are fairly new by comparison. This ultimately means that there are less race keeper units at the track and less people available to give advice and help you learn how to use it.
At my home track there's not a single race keeper system being used, which makes it hard to have a support structure locally.
I've had too many recommendations to buy traqmate systems, to not listen.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Roger, you have a good point; It is down to local support!
I just posted this 10 minutes ago on the DE section:
Just looking at data it is OK to use and it has gotten easier over the years to sync data with video.

Still recommending HD camera's and then telling me HD is not supported by their studio software until months later is a bit iffy and that was earlier this year and a bit embarrassing for the dealer who sold it to me.

The dealer is great, but still more then an hours' drive away and with his help (He can call Traqmate directly.) everything got sorted out.
Also, once you know what does not work and they tell you the work around, it is no longer a big deal but such info was impossible to come by for the first years.

For example, if you happen to record in a format it does not like, you click on "write video" and the button just does not work, no way to know why.

On my (crappy, slow) laptop, it still takes 2 hours to merge 8 minutes of data and video, then I have to re-save it 8 hours in Movie maker to have a file that will upload on Youtube. I'm sure there is another way, I just finally found a way that works and don't know the better way.

We've had no local support until 6 months ago. .

I sell software for a living, so not that technical, but not completely ignorant either.
The software I sell is as counter intuative as Traqmate, but my forum does not take minutes to load per page and if I have a frustrated customer I don't deny him access, my support people answer within hours..

My manuals suck as well, but I don't pretend they don't, we just answer all questions quickly and post lots of helpful tips on the forum.

I think there are easier systems out there, but can't say they are better because I have only owned Traqmate. The end results of my Flatout video's are cool and a good tool in addition to just looking at data..
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Get whatever the people around you are using...

For example, I'm constantly bumming Trakcar's data from him to see where I'm being a pansy at Sebring. I set up virtual races between us so I can watch myself get smoked
Old 11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been very, very happy with the AIM EVO4. The best part is that it interfaces with your car's ECU so you get tons of useful information without adding external sensors. AIM have also done a great job of constantly updating the software and firmware for the unit and the analysis software. They also finally have true predictive lap timing with the EVO4/MC3 combination which, IMO, makes it an unbeatable package at this price point.

You can see some of the data in action on my youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/fcracer88

I should mention too that AIM's support has been awesome. You can walk into pretty much any race shop for cars or karts and someone there will know every detail of how the AIM system and software works. If your local shop doesn't know, the AIM head office (east and west coast) people are always available and reply really quickly. I've knocked more time off my laps using DAS than from any other modification this side of a set of race tires.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I like that AIM setup!
Again, it really comes down to local installers and reps supporting you.

Iremember seeing the setup the first time you posted it.
Why is your car whistling like a Turbo?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

@DD95 I think the were at Sebring is answered in two words: THE TRACK, come on my man synch theim up.

@Peter: I have to say I really like the AIM-absolutely no syncing with the smartycam.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Orli,

I was one of the takers during the RK group buy this summer. Install was easy, getting the video and data is no hassle, I purchased a cheapo laptop and plug the SD card from the RK into the laptop after each session, there is no vid/data sync to worry about. I like that I can show the sessions immediately to others in my run group (not the fastest!!) or instructors. I have enjoyed DE's more since using the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kREJYqPnBQ
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Get whatever the people around you are using...

For example, I'm constantly bumming Trakcar's data from him to see where I'm being a pansy at Sebring. I set up virtual races between us so I can watch myself get smoked
You have Traqmate?

Quick Reply: Traqmate recommendations