Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trailex Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Electric brakes are really a good idea, especially when you're towing a high-dollar item. Don't skimp on the essentials for being safe. The X5 is probably marginal as a tow vehicle.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Electric brakes are very progressive with a brake controller, surge brakes are a pain.

8045 definitely. The 997.1 RS won't fit on the 7541, it is very easy to scratch the wheels on a narrow trailer.

Get electric brakes,

Izzone, send me a PM, as I'm about to order a 8045 to be shipped to South Florida, and probably we can work a discount deal on the shipping.

You will have great fuel economy with this trailer. They keep better resale value than most cars. They are the lightest open trailers available, and their quality is impressive.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

8045 for sure...!! for all the reasons given above.
Surge brakes would be "just" adequate, if you are staying on flat land.... resale down the road might take a hit as most want electric.
Pass on a winch for now, not necessary, ....until I have my first break-down
definitely get a tool box for all your crap, and a spare wheel/tire....
and get a tire rack!! you never know when it's going to rain!
I'm sure an X5 will tow like a champ! My V6 Tacoma did!!
I love my 8045!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/T...urce=googleps/

Anyone used a wireless brake controller instead of hard wiring?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

i think prodigy is the brand? just get that. everyone uses it. dont reinvent the wheel.
trailer shop can wire it up. dont DIY. just hire someone. i thought it was hard. but once they install it, it's very easy. hey, if i can do it, you cannot possibly fail.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

The wireless controller is prodigy....same function just no wires in car
Old 11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
The wireless controller is prodigy....same function just no wires in car
well then, there you go!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:33 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cant go wrong with prodigy, they are THE BEST when it comes to elec trailer brake controllers. i've used prodigy and "the other guy", there is an immediate difference with trailer braking dynamics, very very obvious that the prodigy was far superior.

i'm happy to see they have this "wireless" option. that's awesome! would love to try that... would be great if it worked just as good as wired!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:51 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was so intrigued by this new wireless brake controller i looked over the install manual found here: http://www.tekonsha.com/product/pdf/N90250.pdf

you will still need to wire up the 7 way plug-in at the rear of the tow vehicle near the hitch. but that shouldnt be hard to do... basically you install the wireless module on the trailer's tongue and plug the trailer's 7 way into the prodigy module. then the module plugs into the tow vehicles 7 way plug-in, which again you'll need to wire up to the x5. its simple to wire this and i wouldnt be afraid to do it to an x5 even tho it is a bmw with fancy electronics that probably dont like to be molested

but at least this wireless thing saves you the hassle of ensuring you have wiring between the actual in cabin unit and trailer brake module. also saves you the hassle of wiring up the in cabin unit to power source, etc...
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ex10psi
i was so intrigued by this new wireless brake controller i looked over the install manual found here: http://www.tekonsha.com/product/pdf/N90250.pdf

you will still need to wire up the 7 way plug-in at the rear of the tow vehicle near the hitch. but that shouldnt be hard to do... basically you install the wireless module on the trailer's tongue and plug the trailer's 7 way into the prodigy module. then the module plugs into the tow vehicles 7 way plug-in, which again you'll need to wire up to the x5. its simple to wire this and i wouldnt be afraid to do it to an x5 even tho it is a bmw with fancy electronics that probably dont like to be molested

but at least this wireless thing saves you the hassle of ensuring you have wiring between the actual in cabin unit and trailer brake module. also saves you the hassle of wiring up the in cabin unit to power source, etc...
That is the one I want, don't want to mess with wiring in the truck
Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
That is the one I want, don't want to mess with wiring in the truck
Some things are best left to the professionals....

Prodigy P2 user last season and it worked great!
New truck for next towing season with a factory (Ford) controller, so we'll see.....

Quick Reply: Trailex Question