Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why the excessive negativity on the Cayman R!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It should have had that Pininfarina styling cue from Day One, along with pricing at or below the Boxster. IMO, the Cayman would have been a much more successful model, further differentiating it from the 911 with its similar large glass rear window, and along with the mid-engine, making it more of a baby Ferrari.
Well, someone did produce it:
Attached Images  

Last edited by niche; 12-09-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Then again, it's 245k!

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3769.html
Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It should have had that Pininfarina styling cue from Day One, along with pricing at or below the Boxster. IMO, the Cayman would have been a much more successful model, further differentiating it from the 911 with its similar large glass rear window, and along with the mid-engine, making it more of a baby Ferrari.

I voiced my opinion in an early Cayman focus group, but nobody listened. Perhaps with the next generation...
+1
And it would have been the perfect time, with the F355 pricing starting to soar, especially since that further differentiation could have allowed Porsche to make a statement with dual-track (mid- and rear-engined) sports and race cars.

Seems like this is a missed opportunity to fix that.

Still, there is no mid-engine sportscar near this good for Boxster/Cayman money.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the FBL Cayman GTR which was what most wanted:

3.8 X51 engine

Cross coilovers

GT3 front nose

GT3 seats

Cage

PCCB

New exhaust, flashed engine, short shift kit and a few more goodies.

This was one hellva fast track car.

Maybe someone will learn from this and really come up with an affordable Cayman that has what people want.

Deanski
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 AM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by zellamsee
This is a great thread. Putting aside the R moniker (and the green paint), Porsche delivered exactly what I expected with this model -- essentially, a coupe version of the Boxster Spyder. In my profession, I have been taught to put substance over form, and sometimes it is easy to be tricked by the form (labels put on things). This "new" model clearly isn't worthy of the "R" designation (form) . . . . The marketing guys got in front of the engineers. But in substance, if it drives anything like the Boxster Spyder, it will be hoot to drive. Could Porsche have done more with this variant, i.e., add less weight, more power, etc.? Sure. But, let's face it, Porsche's hands are tied, unless they want to encroach on 911 sales . . . and I guess they aren't ready to do that just yet. That being said, if this new Cayman drives anything like my Spyder, I would probably take one over any version of the Carrera.
Well said, and I couldn't agree more...especially with your last sentence.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

for anyone who really wants a "hardcore" mid-engined Porsche as an alternative to the GT3 for track purposes I would suggest getting a turn-key Cayman Cup and be done with it. I don't understand how anyone here is really surprised by this move. Look at the Trans Siberia garbage they rolled out a few years ago.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
The problem is that the majority of the people spending lots of hard-earned $$$ at Porsche will never pay $120K+ for a Cayman, be it a Cayman with carbon bodywork, a 435hp engine, half-cage, bucket seats and 6 point belts. Spending the double on a special-series 911 however is not an issue.

I really wonder: of all the people that think the Cayman should be available in a much more hardcore version, how many would actually buy that Cayman if for the same price (or let's say $5000 more) they can get a GT3.
If they make a 3.6L 365hp version (including a high revving GT block engine, better gearing, better suspension, and less weight) and make it $20,000 lower than the GT3 I think a lot of people will buy it. That includes me! I will be first in line!

If you make it with same engine (3.8L 435hp) with other upgrades and only 5k less still a lot of people buy it! It will be faster than a GT3 for sure! I don't have enough cash to buy a GT3 so I don't think I can afford a Cayman GT for only 5k less than a GT3
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If it would have been at least 350 hp I would have been happy.

But the "R" is not deserved, it still is a great cayman but once I spec it out the way I want it I could get a gen2 pdk 09 cayman for half the price and drop the weight off it my self.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by jumper5836
If it would have been at least 350 hp I would have been happy.

But the "R" is not deserved, it still is a great cayman but once I spec it out the way I want it I could get a gen2 pdk 09 cayman for half the price and drop the weight off it my self.
This is only a slight exaggeration, as I spec'd a Cayman R last night and it came in at $78k (without PDK). I don't see how I could justify that price when, as you say, you can get a used 09 for substantially less than that.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep in mind that there is more to the Cayman R than just the weight savings -- the suspension set up (no PASM, 20mm lower, etc.) is EVERYTHING here, and IMHO, justifies the extra $$ over a used 09.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:20 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

$78K?
As long as you don't add back in the A/C or splurge on Nav & full leather, I really don't see any good reason the MSRP should be above $70k... or $73k if you must have the sport exhaust.

I played with the configurator, and even with metallic paint and lots of silly Alcantara, I saw MSRP of $70k.

Of course if you cross-shop the used market, there's TONS of great cars, even GT3s for less than $70k... but that argument is even more devastating when applied to new base Carreras at $90k and S's at $100k+ (when similarly equiped to the CR). Within the feverish universe of NEW P-car pricing, I think the CR is actually decent value.
John
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by quickxotica
$78K?
As long as you don't add back in the A/C or splurge on Nav & full leather, I really don't see any good reason the MSRP should be above $70k... or $73k if you must have the sport exhaust.

I played with the configurator, and even with metallic paint and lots of silly Alcantara, I saw MSRP of $70k.

Of course if you cross-shop the used market, there's TONS of great cars, even GT3s for less than $70k... but that argument is even more devastating when applied to new base Carreras at $90k and S's at $100k+ (when similarly equiped to the CR). Within the feverish universe of NEW P-car pricing, I think the CR is actually decent value.
John
Yes, I definitely will add the A/C as it is an absolute requirement here (it gets over 100 degrees during the summer where I live) and I also added the sport exhaust and the sport chrono package.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Rob T
Advanced

I went back and re-configured the Cayman S without the Sport Chrono package (is this needed on the Cayman S or not?) and came up with the following:

Cayman R
$66,300

Speed Yellow
X4
$0

Interior Color
Black Standard Leather Interior with Alcantara
$0

Performance

Sports Exhaust System
XLF
$2,810

Wheels
19" Boxster Spyder Wheel
$0

Wheel Accessoires:
Wheels in Black
XDA
$1,815

Interior
Automatic A/C
$1,760

Sports Bucket Seats
P03
$0

Audio and Communications
CDR-30 Audio System
$0

Destination Charge:
$950

Total Price*

$73,635

What am I missing (or adding) that you guys would change if you were getting a Cayman R?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Just say no to sport chrono. On a MT n/a car it is not only ugly, but utterly useless too. They got my money once for that option... never again.
My 2cents:
I would skip the base 25Watt stereo - it's gonna sound worse than silence.
I would skip the black wheels - just hides a pretty design.
I would check whether you lose the black exhaust tips with the XLF (on the configurator they turn silver, but the configurator could be wrong). I would rather save $2800 and keep the black tips since their is no power gain with XLF.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you must have sport chrono functionality, but hate the wart, you can get it from SunCoast.

Quick Reply: Why the excessive negativity on the Cayman R!