Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

LA Auto Show - Porsche 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That would be Sascha Glaeser -- he's an impressive Porsche guy.
I met him at LA last year. When I saw him later at Carmel he remembered who I was, going out of his way to talk to me and my better half. Don't know if it is because I bombard him with questions about what is coming out and a lot of hearsay from this place.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I met him at LA last year. When I saw him later at Carmel he remembered who I was, going out of his way to talk to me and my better half. Don't know if it is because I bombard him with questions about what is coming out and a lot of hearsay from this place.
I've had similar encounters with him and a couple of other guys at the factory. They take an interest in the rumor mill Web sites when customers reference a Web site as the source of what's setting their expectations. I think it's easy enough to understand it's not what any vendor wants (a strong sales and marketing operation will control customer expectations and not leave it to a forum site to set the tone) but they have to deal with the practical reality of the Internet of course. The downside for sites like Rennlist is the unintended consequence of leaving it to the infinitesimal, yet vocal, minority to set the tone. Take the Cayman R launch or the Porsche event with ruffled feathers over who was or was not invited, for example -- it only takes the first handful of people to post a negative comment and this information reaches potential buyers like a guided missile (and it's such a powerful weapon that some vendors now actively take into their own control by paying people to participate at the forum sites.) I think it's equally easy to then see the predicament of "customer facing" Porsche employees to then filter out the misleading feedback that can come in "louder" or more amplified by the forum sites and filter in the customer feedback from a broader sample -- hopefully a representative sample.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
Not true - Porsche was and prolly still is (if not for the VW fiasco), one of the most profitable and cash rich automakers in the world.
Ferrari may soon have a VW fiasco of its own, if you believe the rumors...
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I've had similar encounters with him and a couple of other guys at the factory. They take an interest in the rumor mill Web sites when customers reference a Web site as the source of what's setting their expectations. I think it's easy enough to understand it's not what any vendor wants (a strong sales and marketing operation will control customer expectations and not leave it to a forum site to set the tone) but they have to deal with the practical reality of the Internet of course. The downside for sites like Rennlist is the unintended consequence of leaving it to the infinitesimal, yet vocal, minority to set the tone. Take the Cayman R launch or the Porsche event with ruffled feathers over who was or was not invited, for example -- it only takes the first handful of people to post a negative comment and this information reaches potential buyers like a guided missile (and it's such a powerful weapon that some vendors now actively take into their own control by paying people to participate at the forum sites.) I think it's equally easy to then see the predicament of "customer facing" Porsche employees to then filter out the misleading feedback that can come in "louder" or more amplified by the forum sites and filter in the customer feedback from a broader sample -- hopefully a representative sample.
Like I said, last year I wrote a little post about my experience at the LA show complete with pictures. This generated a lot of interest with a lot of people showing up at the auto shows wanting to have cars configured for them. We sent a few emails back and forth, meand Sasha. He told me "good work" for my Internet posting. I told him I would gladly except a Porsche Wind-Breaker Jacket for my compensation. Still waiting for my Jacket!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:35 AM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The downside for sites like Rennlist is the unintended consequence of leaving it to the infinitesimal, yet vocal, minority to set the tone. Take the Cayman R launch or the Porsche event with ruffled feathers over who was or was not invited, for example -- it only takes the first handful of people to post a negative comment and this information reaches potential buyers like a guided missile (and it's such a powerful weapon that some vendors now actively take into their own control by paying people to participate at the forum sites.) I think it's equally easy to then see the predicament of "customer facing" Porsche employees to then filter out the misleading feedback that can come in "louder" or more amplified by the forum sites and filter in the customer feedback from a broader sample -- hopefully a representative sample.
Fortunately or unfortunately - we here at RL probably represent the most loyal of Porsche customers. Many of the things we expect or demand, are just not typical of the Porsche customer. More track focused cars, more options from Exclusive, more tailoring, etc., just aren't requested by the regular Joe.

The problem is the disconnect between PAG and PCNA. I've had dialogues between PAG where they say xyz is possible, but once it gets to PCNA, things are vetoed. I'm sure most of the people at PCNA in the ordering dept. know the trouble maker that I am. The enthusiast/loyal customer will always have higher expectations - opinions I have voiced before to PCNA, only to fall upon deaf ears. So the only course - is to vent to a forum.

Truthfully though - anything can be done at the factory. As with anything in this world, it's who you know. People up top at Porsche DO CARE...I have my own little story on this. However, the entire organization is not doing its job if every time you want something, you have to speak to the CEO of a company.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Ferrari may soon have a VW fiasco of its own, if you believe the rumors...
Yup - I read about that. Will be very interesting if true! I don't believe the Italians will let it happen, the Mafia will step in before that.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:00 PM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my show photos from opening day, yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CSMCGRN2/LAAUTOSHOW2010#

Porsche, fiat, then the rest
Old 11-20-2010, 02:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Fortunately or unfortunately - we here at RL probably represent the most loyal of Porsche customers. Many of the things we expect or demand, are just not typical of the Porsche customer. More track focused cars, more options from Exclusive, more tailoring, etc., just aren't requested by the regular Joe.

The problem is the disconnect between PAG and PCNA. I've had dialogues between PAG where they say xyz is possible, but once it gets to PCNA, things are vetoed. I'm sure most of the people at PCNA in the ordering dept. know the trouble maker that I am. The enthusiast/loyal customer will always have higher expectations - opinions I have voiced before to PCNA, only to fall upon deaf ears. So the only course - is to vent to a forum.

Truthfully though - anything can be done at the factory. As with anything in this world, it's who you know. People up top at Porsche DO CARE...I have my own little story on this. However, the entire organization is not doing its job if every time you want something, you have to speak to the CEO of a company.

Yup - I read about that. Will be very interesting if true! I don't believe the Italians will let it happen, the Mafia will step in before that.
Well said!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Man, the base price of that Speedster!!!

The Turbo Cab at the show last year with all the bells and whistles clocked in over $200K; but still not as much as that Speedster! That is a bit stiff for me. Would much rather have a Sport Classic.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Man, the base price of that Speedster!!!

The Turbo Cab at the show last year with all the bells and whistles clocked in over $200K; but still not as much as that Speedster! That is a bit stiff for me. Would much rather have a Sport Classic.
The Speedster is going for the exclusivity angle. I can't agree with their price point, but I agree with the marketing angle. Still, the daft word pumper that put this page together doesn't understand the inescapable "so this is all just parts bin stuff" conclusion by listing it all in this "n/c" format. Just artless.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Do the Germans have a Mafia? Can they order in?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
my show photos from opening day, yesterday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CSMCGRN2/LAAUTOSHOW2010#

Porsche, fiat, then the rest
Fantastic!

Many thanks for your effort with those photos.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Speedster is going for the exclusivity angle. I can't agree with their price point, but I agree with the marketing angle. Still, the daft word pumper that put this page together doesn't understand the inescapable "so this is all just parts bin stuff" conclusion by listing it all in this "n/c" format. Just artless.

Laughable! Steep price tag, but the N/C is just hilarious!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
man that pea green cayman is barftastic
+1...what the heck are they thinking? Hopefully other colors can be ordered. UGH!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know what color the 356 is?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_eZEBSlkVAwU/TO...4/DSC05804.JPG
Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was trying to get clarification on the Speedster sticker. And I think it was the Sascha guy mentioned above who was milling around it when I tried to inquire. Wouldn't even respond to my inquiry. Now, I get that I'm just a pudgy guy pushing 50 with a camera and small backpack among the masses. But still. And reinforcement for why I pretty much made up my mind around the mid-'80s that no matter how much I made, I'd never buy a new Porsche. (Meeting Ulrike who was out for the Panamera lauch at Monterey last year went a long way to dispelling the attitude, however.)

As I always say, glad you guys who have the means and motivation to still buy new so that there is good stuff for us bottom feeders to pick over once they get to be 10 years old, and forgotten for the newest, greatest.

Funnyism from yesterday was the suit and 3 beauties spending a silly amount of time putting on the Boxster Spyder top. And it didn't look like the fire drill was from it being their first time. (The only beauty working Porsche I've gotten to know, Andrea, probably knew better than to get anywhere near.) I was tempted to put the camera on video mode, but I figured I'd likely get my camera taken away.

Call me odd, but probably the one of those cars I'd take home would be the Gray Black/Red Targa.

Quick Reply: LA Auto Show - Porsche 2010