Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porschophile opinions on Gallardo vs. 360/430

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porschophile opinions on Gallardo vs. 360/430

I am beginning to consider owning an exotic at some point in my life, and have been looking at the Gallardo vs. a Ferrari 360 or 430, likely a used vehicle, low mileage. I use my GT3 for both street and track use, and will not be replacing it with anything. I just see taking it more towards the mostly track orientation, and may consider another car for nice day driving to work, weekend use, non-track use. I want a car that is not too finicky, and read an article where a guy bought a Gallardo, and drove it for 90K before it needed anything. Does anyone have any opinions on this subject or any experience with either? It would be for nice weather only, and likely get about 3-4K / year. Thank you. (If I should put this in another forum as well, let me know.)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gallardo and F430 are very reliable for street use. At one point I considered a Gallardo Superleggera, but that car (520Hp) put to the wheels something like 400hp, so it is not more powerful than a 997.1 GT3.

Modena has some issues in the earlier cars. F430 are damn reliable starting in 2008, same with the Gallardo (the LP560/4 and forward).

All of them good cars, but for track use the GT3 eats them all, and it is more reliable and cheaper to use for track days.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

To me, the 430 and most Ferraris are curvaceous in the way a sports car should be, whereas the Lambos with all their creases look like Transformers to my eye. Though I'm a German car guy, if I ever went for an Italian it would definitely be the best Ferrari I could afford.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line, neither car has a lot of issues. The Gallardo will be the cheaper car to own. The Gallardo uses a lot of Audi parts, hence getting parts is not a problem and they are no where near as expensive as sourcing Ferrari parts. Service on the Gallardo is cheaper. The only typical wearing item on a Gallardo is the clutch if you get on with a flappy paddle gearbox. Fortunately, they are not that expensive to replace if you shop around. The Gallardo is a more drivable car because it is basically an Audi. For, I am assuming you are looking at a 4+ year old one, Gallardos are a lot less sensitive to resale for mileage. In terms of selling price today, all are basically bargains with F360s now dipping into the $70k's and Gallardos in the $80k's. F430's are still falling with early ones about $130k. They should be $120k or less by spring as the Ferrari market always falls in the winter. The 430 is probably the most rewarding out of these to drive with a F360 behind it and the Gallardo in the rear. The Gallardo does actually drive like a Audi, making it a little dampened versus the soul of a Ferrari. I would recommend driving each to make your own decision. Regardless of choice, unless you can pony up the $$$ for a Scuderia; none of these cars will be as exciting to drive as you GT3 or as reasonable to own. I went through a similar decision before buying my GT3 of looking at a used Gallardo or F360.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an 06 Gallardo for a few years. Fantastic Car, not a single issue. Only problem for me was my local dealer, I don't like them, don't trust them. Had to have trailered for service to a dealer a little further.

I would never consider a 360 or pre 06 gallardo. May be cheaper to buy, but more money and more problems.....
Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've not owned either, but have been "this" close to both the Murcielago (I know ...) and the Gallardo. I found the Murcielago too ostentatious and the Gallardo both ostentatious and having nothing to back up the bluster of the exhaust noise and the show pony appearance.

The F430 in a six speed manual transmission is undeniably a lot of car and a lot of fun. You'd have to live with the "look at me!" appearance and exhaust note ... and perhaps the expression of disappointment of passersby as you get out of the car and it turns out you're not a celebrity movie or sports star. : )

I think the F430 6-spd on the track would be a lot of fun, but the operating costs and perhaps the traffic passing you would get old eventually. Still, it's something I continue to contemplate from time to time. Prices on the F430 have stabilized but owners and the market are often $30-50K apart.

Whatever you do, if you go with an F-car, do the research and don't get suckered into paying too much or buying a "bargain" that turns out to be no bargain at all. If you go with the Audi-Lambo, well, you've made your own bed (probably with mirrors on the ceiling.)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

430 6 speed
last of the Ferrari manuals
for weekend driver
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

430>gallardo>360

gallardo is sexy and meaner.. ferrari is classic.. 360 is old and slow.

458 kills everything from current manufacturers in my mind... kills GT3RS. kills Murci.. Kills Gallardo... 458 is my #1 supercar right now.. when i drive the Mp4-12C i will maybe change my #1 position but after driving 458.. im sold.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
none of these cars will be as exciting to drive as you GT3 or as reasonable to own. I went through a similar decision before buying my GT3 of looking at a used Gallardo or F360.
Thanks "10 GT3" for a thorough analysis.

Like "Carrera GT", I've never owned a Ferrari or Lambo, but I don't have a strong desire to own one either.

Test drove the California with F1 transmission and actually found it boring. Test drove a friend's 360 and found it quite wide compared to 997S, and not faster than a 997S.

458 looks exotic but no manual transmission. So I did the next best thing, GT3RS and never look back.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

These replies are very helpful. I will keep checking back in case any more posts occur. I seem to gravitate to the 430 6-speed. But, has anyone seen the Gallardo Superlegarra on E-bay -- the yellow 2008 with carbon fiber bits? They are boxy and angular, but this one is really nice looking. Not sure I would like the automatic though.

Quick Reply: Porschophile opinions on Gallardo vs. 360/430