Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT - GT3 Tow Vehicle - WTB Trailex / Featherlite

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Not to get further off topic, but in checking the 2011 X5 diesel, while only has 265hp, has 425ft/lb torque! Which is more than the V8! And it sounds like it can still tow 6000lbs. Can this be right? Izzone?
Yes it is right

I believe the BMW is also a twin turbo diesel....very little turbo lag

It has so much torque you will never even notice the lack in horsepower

And the gas mileage is great
Old 11-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with a 2008 Yukon XL Denali. It is rated for 7900 lbs. 6.2L V8 and 6 spd auto, load leveling suspension, back up sensors and camera for ease connecting to the trailer, plenty of trunk space for spares.

I would be a bit careful with the X5. The wheelbase is a bit short.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:52 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here...
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like a few others on this board, I've found the Mercedes GL series more than adequate for towing my GT3. I'm using the GL550 which has plenty of torque and horsepower to pull my Featherlite trailer.

The GL550 is an awesome riding vehicle with enough pull that I usually don't know I'm towing anything. The length of the GL550 lends a lot of control over the trailer. Also, it is a very comfortable ride with loads of amenities. After a long day of tracking, it is very nice to be able to ride home in this vehicle and actually relax as I drive.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:44 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I tow and towed my C5 Z06 vette with a sierra denali pick-up with Quadrasteer......
Has the turning circle of a Honda Accord.

But now my GT3 is about say 300 lbs heavier. I tow an open Featherlite 3110. I might try and sell both the Truck and the Trailer, but then I need new a new truck and trailer. 181,000 miles on the truck now. Towed all over the country. But in the Sierra Nevadas and Salt Lake.......lets just say a 2500 HD Diesel GMC would have done better. My truck is rated to tow 9900 lbs.........

You towing your Porsche's with a SUV....are tempting fate.....small wheelbase, chassis not really up to the task.

Now that the winter season is here and I won't be towing through any mountains.....maybe hold off on a new truck till April, but with the measley trade in vale of my Quadrasteer beauty......thinking about keeping it.

$ 140,000 car...........(worth like 105,000 or something like that now)....towed by something with a retail value of like 7,500.

Be safe folks.......tow with something that is safe.......
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan
Like a few others on this board, I've found the Mercedes GL series more than adequate for towing my GT3. I'm using the GL550 which has plenty of torque and horsepower to pull my Featherlite trailer.

The GL550 is an awesome riding vehicle with enough pull that I usually don't know I'm towing anything. The length of the GL550 lends a lot of control over the trailer. Also, it is a very comfortable ride with loads of amenities. After a long day of tracking, it is very nice to be able to ride home in this vehicle and actually relax as I drive.

That 911 looks serious.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I tow and towed my C5 Z06 vette with a sierra denali pick-up with Quadrasteer......
Has the turning circle of a Honda Accord.

But now my GT3 is about say 300 lbs heavier. I tow an open Featherlite 3110. I might try and sell both the Truck and the Trailer, but then I need new a new truck and trailer. 181,000 miles on the truck now. Towed all over the country. But in the Sierra Nevadas and Salt Lake.......lets just say a 2500 HD Diesel GMC would have done better. My truck is rated to tow 9900 lbs.........

You towing your Porsche's with a SUV....are tempting fate.....small wheelbase, chassis not really up to the task.

Now that the winter season is here and I won't be towing through any mountains.....maybe hold off on a new truck till April, but with the measley trade in vale of my Quadrasteer beauty......thinking about keeping it.

$ 140,000 car...........(worth like 105,000 or something like that now)....towed by something with a retail value of like 7,500.

Be safe folks.......tow with something that is safe.......
I agree that Quadrasteer is great, but for some reason, GM just didn't try very hard with selling it and when people didn't buy it, they quit without giving it a fair chance in the market. I'd like to get the back off a Quadrasteer Suburban and put it under my diesel Excursion!

As for SUVs, things like a Tahoe and Suburban have the exact same chassis and suspension as the Sierra/Silverado equivalent, so they make for equivalent tow vehicles. The unitary chassis cars are smaller and lighter with shorter wheelbases, but not inferior within their specifications, so they're not a risky compromise at all.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I used this, a Toyota Tacoma, this season:

but I just picked up a new F150 Platinum for next season's towing:

Better colour match!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW, I managed to find a rare beast indeed. In 07 and 08, the Jeep Grand Cherokee had a 3.0 L CRD (common rail diesel) engine built by Mercedes. Not too many of these around. It tows an open trailex beautifully. Drives quite nicely around town, and after a 1200 mile round trip weekend to VIR, I managed to average 16 MPG (mostly towing around 70 mph). It is about half the price of the diesel X5 too and still has 376 lb ft of torque.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Docdan,
Does Featherlite make the front end of that trailer- the curved wind deflector? Nice!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

For igunner, how did the Tacoma tow? I currently have only my '07 Tacoma with the towing package to tow my Trailex open trailer and either my SC or Cayman. I did upgrade the brakes on the Tacoma (better front rotors and pads) but I'm still a little concerned about long distance.

Looking at getting another Cayenne. Towed the SC to parade at Keystone on the trailex behind my then (before the kid in the Suburban hit it, another story) and was very pleased. The Trailex is a great trailer and the Cayenne got just over 13 MPG for the whole trip from San Antonio to Keystone and back and never hesitated going up the mountains. Good tow vehicle and a comfortable daily driver.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I think the best deal around is the '07/'08 ML320CDI and R320CDI , just picked one up with 50K miles Merecedes certified till 100K for $30k. A GL is about 10K more, but porbably worth it.
MB certifieds almost have the same warranty as new and they last. (German taxi's with 300-400K not uncommon.)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

300-400 K?

Read this from my country :

Mercedes Press Release:
Greek taxi driver donates 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240 D to the Mercedes-Benz Museum Collection
Greek taxi driver Gregorios Sachinidis from Thessalonica handed over his 1976 Mercedes Benz 240 D to the Mercedes-Benz Museum Collection. Mr. Sachinidis is a multi-kilometer millionaire. Having covered all of 4.6 million kilometers, this "Stroke Eight" now becomes the Mercedes-Benz with the highest recorded mileage known to date.
The enormous distance covered by the world champion is testament to the proverbial longevity of Mercedes-Benz cars. In particular, Mercedes-Benz taxis have been permanent features of both German and international urban landscapes. In Germany, every second taxi is a Mercedes-Benz.

Mr. Sachinidis bought his car in Germany in 1981 with around 220,000 km on the clock, before driving it back to Thessalonica. Here it was in service as a taxi 24 hours a day until July 2004. During this time the owner was able to call upon the original engine and two spare units, deploying them on a rotational basis 11 times in total.

Mr. Sachinidis sent a letter to Prof. JÃrgen Hubbert, Member of the Board of Management of DaimlerChrysler AG with responsibility for the Mercedes Car Group, thanking him for the excellent service Mercedes-Benz had afforded him over the years. Having received a visit from representatives of the Mercedes-Benz Museum Collection, Mr. Sachinidis decided to hand the car over to the Mercedes-Benz Museum.

Highlighting the reception the president of DaimlerChrysler Hellas, Dr. Alexander Paufler, presented Mr. Sachinidis with a key for a new C 200 CDI to be picked up upon his return to Greece.

John

PS I don't think the newer CDI or any other modern Merc could repeat this : )
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Izzone: are you looking for an open or enlosed trailex?
I may be selling my enclosed trailex
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

PS I don't think the newer CDI or any other modern Merc could repeat this : )
I was just going by my buddies taxi company in Holland, he sells his 200CDI's after about 800KM original engine and trans, but these are the non turbo 2L, not exactly like the 3L Turbo diesels, but still. they're lasting long...

Quick Reply: OT - GT3 Tow Vehicle - WTB Trailex / Featherlite