Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT - GT3 Tow Vehicle - WTB Trailex / Featherlite

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts
Default OT - GT3 Tow Vehicle - WTB Trailex / Featherlite

I have been debating over the past few weeks getting a tow vehicle for my car and buying a trailer (PM me if you have one for sale).

I drove multiple vehicles, most diesel.....settled on a BMW X5 last night. I am only going to tow a open trailer and did not want to daily dive a full size farmer john truck .

If anyone is looking for something simular, there ar esome graet European diesel trucks out there that have a car like ride.

I traded in an Audi S5 on the X5........I do not miss that car
Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been looking as well, availability of used ones seem low. Presently favoring the Trailex CT-7541 to be towed by my Q7 4.2
Thinking new may be the way to go.
Good luck with your search!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hijack, but why didn't you like the S5?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice for the tow vehicle. Had BMW offered a diesel when we were in the market we certainly would have considered it. I wish Porsche sold their diesel Cayenne in the US. I have been towing my 24' enclosed Trailex with a 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI. Perhaps the best "do it all" vehicle I have ever owned.

When we purchased it there were no other SUV based vehicles available in the US that had a diesel power train (one could include the now defunct Ford Excursion but that was based on a truck platform). It replaced a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. The Merc gets 50% better mpg when towing (15mpg v. 10 mpg for the Tahoe), 28 mpg on the highway without the trailer and is more comfortable by a wide margin. We have >30K miles on it, ~12,000 towing the trailer, and not a single repair other than routine maintenance.

Last edited by mkozink; 11-05-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Sorry to hijack, but why didn't you like the S5?
S5 was heavy, pretty slow feeling, sucked gas....and could never get comfortable in it
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Izzone - interesting in that I was thinking about the S5 (and almost went for a C63 AMG -trunk money) but ended up with... yet another Porsche. The Electric Pepper :-)
Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

The best tow vehicle is always going to be your standard chevy 2500 or Ford 250 Diesel. Whats cool about these besided their unGodly torque ratings of I think over 700lbs now that these Turbo Diesel's can be chipped for MORE unGodly STUPID HP and Torque ratings. I chipped my 04 Chevy Turbo Diesel to 500hp and 900 ft lbs of torque.
Ask a Regular track guy. Ask CJ Ichiban.
True story. I am going to Reno/Fernley Race way in Northern Nevada (2005) pulling my 996 GT3 to the track up there and we have to go up Conway summit on HWY 395. I think it goes to 8000 feet but its really steep.
So on the botton we are in the slow lane and midway up I dont even feel the GT3 and the enclosed trailer and all these toyota Camry's and Hondas are huffin and puffin up the hill and we have to pull out in the fast lane to maintain 65 and not slow down because of the cars. We just motored up the hill no problem

CJ can afford any Tow truck he wants and he has got a 2006 Ford 250 I think.

I have to admit though its cool seeing some dude in a Cayenne Turbo pulling their GT2 (I have seen it and it was a Rennlister) to the track. The guy couldnt back up a trailer to save his life though.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

One must consider the brakes and drive train strength...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:42 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I have to admit though its cool seeing some dude in a Cayenne Turbo pulling their GT2 (I have seen it and it was a Rennlister) to the track. The guy couldnt back up a trailer to save his life though.
Even cooler, pulling a Scuderia with a Cayenne Turbo, but I'm giving up and most likely getting an used reliable and cheap diesel pick-up truck just for towing. Last weekend I got 6 mpg average, refueling every 120 miles is annoying.

Go Diesel.

Used Featherlite and Trailex are difficult to come by.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mkozink
Good choice for the tow vehicle. Had BMW offered a diesel when we were in the market we certainly would have considered it. I wish Porsche sold their diesel Cayenne in the US. I have been towing my 24' enclosed Trailex with a 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI. Perhaps the best "do it all" vehicle I have ever owned.

When we purchased it there were no other SUV based vehicles available in the US that had a diesel power train (one could include the now defunct Ford Excursion but that was based on a truck platform). It replaced a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. The Merc gets 50% better mpg when towing (15mpg v. 10 mpg for the Tahoe), 28 mpg on the highway without the trailer and is more comfortable by a wide margin. We have >30K miles on it, ~12,000 towing the trailer, and not a single repair other than routine maintenance.
Great tow rig. Do you use a weight-distributing hitch? Which brake controller? Does that Trailex have LED lights?

I have the diesel GL, it's brilliant. Automatic "Distronic" cruise control is indispensable in highway traffic -- makes it easy to catch up on email, post to Rennlist, take a nap. Brilliant!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Great tow rig. Do you use a weight-distributing hitch? Which brake controller? Does that Trailex have LED lights?

I have the diesel GL, it's brilliant. Automatic "Distronic" cruise control is indispensable in highway traffic -- makes it easy to catch up on email, post to Rennlist, take a nap. Brilliant!
Our GL is a 2008 made before urea injection (thank goodness) and Distronic cruise (wish it were) available. The stability control in towing is also exceptional. With the Tahoe we had to hold on for dear life when passing, or being passed, by a tractor trailer.

No LED lights, the trailer is 4 years old. The brake controller is a Tekonsha Prodigy.

Since the Trailex is all aluminum a weight distributing hitch can not be used. In the absence of a weight distributing hitch one must be more conscientious about the tongue weight which should be ~15-18% of the load. With my set up and the RS on board that is around 550#. The car is quite far forward but it presents no problems with loading and unloading. Frankly the biggest issue is centering the car between the fender wells. Only 80" wide and the RS has some big hips.

With my 997.1 RS I had to use Race Ramp extensions when loading /unloading to avoid scrapping the chin spoiler. I have replaced that car with a 997.2 RS. I no longer need to use the ramp extensions since the new RS has the front end lift which when raised allows the chin spoiler to completely clear the ramps.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

nice. i was just looking at GL diesel today. have a second puppy on the way and have frequent visitors so the 3rd row was looking like a good deal. I'm still torn between the GL and the X5 diesel although I think next years X5 will have an 8spd transmission and a third turbo making some more power.

ps, i actually really want a Cayenne Turbo. just not too keen on price and size.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar setup to mkozink's with a 2008 ML320 CDI which has a 7200 lb towing capacity. I now have almost 50k miles on the vehicle and the only repair has been a front wheels bearing replaced under warranty. I have a 2008 enclosed Trailex with LED lights so I had to purchase an adapter cable from Mercedes so that the LED lights would be recognized. Without the cable the LED lights flashed continuously!
Same Prodigy brake controller that works very well and I get the same fuel economy. I have a weight distributing hitch but the Trailex has no provision to attach the chain attachment devices...so I run without the bars with no issues. It tows very well and I can easily maintain 75mph although it does slow down on the steeper hills.
I've considered one of the diesel pickup trucks but have no use for a truck other than towing and the ML makes a great daily driver; it is very warm and comfortable and the turbo diesel engine is a joy.
The real issue of course is the Trailex. It beats an open trailer and I carry race ramps, a 10 X 15 canopy, folding bicycle, small tool kit with jack and battery impact wrench, lawn chairs, a small battery powered air compressor, a couple of fuel jugs and an extra set of wheels and tires; plus it has the optional winch. My car weighs just over 2800 with a full tank so I figure the entire setup weighs a little over 6k lbs so well within the ML's towing capacity. But that is it for space in the trailer...if you need more room you're into a larger trailer and tow vehicle.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Love the Mercedes CDI, we have an R320CDI and E320CDI.
The R class is a great car if you can stand the look, all our Mercedes have the extended 7 year 100K MB certified warranties..
But for towing my car to the track I use the Dodge Cummins. Ugly, but better then Ford and Chevy's I had.

Just sold my '08 and ordering another Dodge Dually '11.. I can run 85-90Mph on cruise control with 2 cars in the trailer.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can run 85-90Mph on cruise control with 2 cars in the trailer.

Quick Reply: OT - GT3 Tow Vehicle - WTB Trailex / Featherlite