Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cheaper 3.9L kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

honestly, I feel its counterproductive to open an engine up; dont get me wrong, *if* I was going to do it, it would be with Manthey, Cargraphics or Sharkwerks. However you should think about the $/bhp cost of such work, and the impact on resale etc...

I dumped an insane amount of money into my 98 C2S to bring it up to 3.8L RS "parity", and at the end of the day recovered zero $'s of that R&D. I would have been better selling the 993 C2S and buying a turbo...

its easy to get sucked into the make it better, faster, lighter game, if you have the disposal ... and you want to spend it this way ... do so ... otherwise ... I'd recommend that you spend it elsewhere, go take some racing schools, go to the nurburgring/nordschliefe, buy a Boxster Spyder or a Lotus Exige that way when you come to sell the RS at some point (which you probably will) you wont have the burden of trying to sell a non-std car, and/or the pain of giving someone a free engine upgrade.

If you do go down this path; as others have pointed out, make sure the hands on your engine are highly experienced ones, the heart of the GT3 is its engine, its not some V8 pushrod "dump a load o gas in it, press it a little and light it, something good is bound to come of it..." covered wagon technology, so if you plan to have someone essentially rebuild it from the ground up, you want someone who can do this with their eyes shut ...

Also a parting piece of concrete advice, get a documented bill of work, that states what work is to be done, an estimate of the time and cost prior to the work commencing ...

good luck!

p.s
dont let them powder coat any part of your engine!!! - even if they typically do that to all of "their" engines that they work on ... Rob King are you listening?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

^Reminder:

Wheels check
Exhaust check

coming
RS decklid
RS wing
RS airbox
LSD
LWFW
RP

: )
Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 PM
droy3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dumped an insane amount of money into my 98 C2S to bring it up to 3.8L RS "parity", and at the end of the day recovered zero $'s of that R&D. I would have been better selling the 993 C2S and buying a turbo...
Sage advice...

May I ask where your 993 ended up? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Cheers,

Doug
Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
honestly, I feel its counterproductive to open an engine up; dont get me wrong, *if* I was going to do it, it would be with Manthey, Cargraphics or Sharkwerks. However you should think about the $/bhp cost of such work, and the impact on resale etc...

its easy to get sucked into the make it better, faster, lighter game, if you have the disposal ... and you want to spend it this way ... do so ... otherwise ... I'd recommend that you spend it elsewhere, go take some racing schools, go to the nurburgring/nordschliefe, buy a Boxster Spyder or a Lotus Exige that way when you come to sell the RS at some point (which you probably will) you wont have the burden of trying to sell a non-std car, and/or the pain of giving someone a free engine upgrade.

If you do go down this path; as others have pointed out, make sure the hands on your engine are highly experienced ones, the heart of the GT3 is its engine, its not some V8 pushrod "dump a load o gas in it, press it a little and light it, something good is bound to come of it..." covered wagon technology, so if you plan to have someone essentially rebuild it from the ground up, you want someone who can do this with their eyes shut ...

Also a parting piece of concrete advice, get a documented bill of work, that states what work is to be done, an estimate of the time and cost prior to the work commencing ...

good luck!

p.s
dont let them powder coat any part of your engine!!! - even if they typically do that to all of "their" engines that they work on ... Rob King are you listening?

Words of wisdom. The saying "history repeats itself" is true in my case as all my previous cars mods were hardly recovered from the sale of the car. I hope to change that mentality. I honestly think my RS is a keeper and as such thought it was justified to spend more on it. But then again, do I need it - no. Do I want - yes!

It's a disease...

Quick Reply: Cheaper 3.9L kit