Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Re-Use of Caliper Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Re-Use of Caliper Bolt?

I just had my calipers off the car to replace the rubber dust shields and rotors. The shop re-used the caliper bolts. I've heard that these are a 1 time use bolt...anyone shed some light on this for me?

Car is a 09 Carrera S. thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thought behind replacing the bolts is: You torque them and place the bolt into a FULL Tension condition by stretching them to the required Torque value. Also, they are intended to have a locking type coating applied from the factory.
Few people really ever replace them unless they become damaged... Just apply a little thread locker on them and re-torque as specified.

Now I am sure this will stir up a TON of controversy.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I understand that it is best to replace them every time since they stretch.
I have skip that step a few times already and they have work just fine, but now that you mentioned I'll order a set to replace them on the next pads change.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

See this thread for a long discussion (much of which has to do with failure of the threads in the housing, not the bold itself), but there is a lot of discussion that the bolts should be replaced every time.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

These are not torque to yield bolts. They may be reused but be careful to clean the threads both on the bolt and inside the carrier. I use my Sprayaway glass cleaner and a shop towel to clean both sets of threads and install dry and clean. Also very important to use a torque wrench when tightening, overtorque is what strips those aluminum carrier threads.

On/off about 10 times on my RS with no problem so far.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Keep in mind that this referenced thread is really looking at the failure rate from Fatigue (repeated force of placing a bolt into torque on the threads) & thermal heat exposure. What really failed in these situations were the tapped holes threads. A insert will increase the shear strength of the existing hole.

While these bolts are not "True Yield" bolts (when you place enough toque to the point of the materials yield point~before breaking). You are placing torque on them which creates a long term fatigue situation. Still, not enough that warrants replacement of the bolts.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's not a shop I know that replaces them everytime. I'd give it few changes until it starts to keep you up at night. More importantly, I would NOT use a thread lock on these. I think you'd do some damage to the aluminum uprights if so. As mentioned, make sure threads are clean when replacing. Uprights get stripped all the time.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The Thread locker WILL NOT damage the threaded holes! I did not say PUT THREAD LOCKER 272 (which takes 500 deg F to get off). Damage to the uprights occurs from OVER torque conditions of the Caliper bolts and placing the cast aluminum thread features into shear!

Last edited by CWhaley; 11-02-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: more info update temp

Quick Reply: Re-Use of Caliper Bolt?