Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche Charge o Matic II HOT! 2nd dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:30 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Guys, a trickle charger is not necessary. All you need to do when you park the car is lock it. That's it.

If you leave the car unlocked there are all kinds of systems and computers on stand-by using electricity while waiting for you to get back in the car.

Meanwhile, if you lick the car everything shuts off except the power locks and the alarm system. And even the power locks shut off after several days. You can't even unlock the car with the remote and you have to pull the door handle to activate the power locks. With this method you can leave the car for weeks at a time with no ill effects and the battery drain is negligible. That's what I do and have never had a flat battery.

Regarding disconnecting the battery, I would advise against it. There is a lot of data about your driving style, throttle response, vehicle dynamics and all sorts of things that are stored in the ECU and all of that gets lost when the battery is disconnected and the car has to re-learn it.

In terms of radio codes Porsche stopped using those with the 996 facelift in 2002. The radio is tied to the VIN of the car in some cases or with another unit of the same kind. For instance a PCM 3.0 won't work in my car since it originally came with a CDR-30 but another CDR-30 will. I actually just picked up a CDR-30 on eBay for $86 to replace a Kenwood that a PO installed. It plugged right in and worked like a dream. Best of all, it had Bluetooth activated when my car didn't originally have it from the factory.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Guys, a trickle charger is not necessary. All you need to do when you park the car is lock it. That's it.

If you leave the car unlocked there are all kinds of systems and computers on stand-by using electricity while waiting for you to get back in the car.

Meanwhile, if you lick the car everything shuts off except the power locks and the alarm system. And even the power locks shut off after several days. You can't even unlock the car with the remote and you have to pull the door handle to activate the power locks. With this method you can leave the car for weeks at a time with no ill effects and the battery drain is negligible. That's what I do and have never had a flat battery.

Regarding disconnecting the battery, I would advise against it. There is a lot of data about your driving style, throttle response, vehicle dynamics and all sorts of things that are stored in the ECU and all of that gets lost when the battery is disconnected and the car has to re-learn it.

In terms of radio codes Porsche stopped using those with the 996 facelift in 2002. The radio is tied to the VIN of the car in some cases or with another unit of the same kind. For instance a PCM 3.0 won't work in my car since it originally came with a CDR-30 but another CDR-30 will. I actually just picked up a CDR-30 on eBay for $86 to replace a Kenwood that a PO installed. It plugged right in and worked like a dream. Best of all, it had Bluetooth activated when my car didn't originally have it from the factory.

Hope this helps!
Sounds good to me. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Porsche Charge o Matic II HOT! 2nd dead battery