Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 vs GT3 RS top speed 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
Default GT3 vs GT3 RS top speed 2nd gear

I have a GT3 997.2.....I believe stock, top of second is 85mph, and on the Hoosier A6 is about 84mph.

My question if anyone knows is top speed 2nd gear possible with GT3 RS ?

Thanks

Lehman
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are gearing charts in the owner's manual.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

That does me a lot of good, as my car and manual are 30min drive away in my warehouse, strapped down to my trailer.

I have a GT3, so why would there be a chart for the GT3 RS...(didn't look at the manual as much as I should have).

But can anyone help with the answer ?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
That does me a lot of good, as my car and manual are 30min drive away in my warehouse, strapped down to my trailer.

I have a GT3, so why would there be a chart for the GT3 RS...(didn't look at the manual as much as I should have).

But can anyone help with the answer ?
Stop whining and JFGI. : )

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...n-gt2-gt3.html

Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

oh come on who stops at 8000 RPM????
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
9 and done...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

The shift light doesnt even come on till 8200....
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Still no answer.

Carrera GT gave me a gear ratio chart.
Well if I was smart enough to follow that then I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Can't believe all you guys with RS's don't know the answer.

I want the truth !
You can't handle the truth !
I stand on that wall keeping you safe so you don't have to !
Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

My question if anyone knows is top speed 2nd gear possible with GT3 RS ?
No offense but your question makes no sense. Perhaps if you pose a logical question you'll get a more appropriate answer.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

That's David Lehman as you all will learn. He is an AutoX'r and his question probably relates to that. It is a simple question though how fast is the .2 GT3RS in 2nd gear. He won't find that answer in his .2 GT3 manual.

Peter
Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Google search on 2010 GT3 RS gear ratios:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...rst-drive.html

If you want more accuracy you could search this forum and just do the math verses the standard GT3:

(https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ar-ratios.html)

Autocar Review:

What is it?

You need to ask? Porsche has helpfully scrawled the model name across the front and rear arches in massive script. Okay, so this is the latest 911 GT3 RS – the gen-2 997, meaning a 3.8-litre block with vario-cam.
As before, the RS gets wider rear arches than the regular GT3, and a plexiglass rear window. But this time Porsche has gone further, answering critcism that (in road trim) the two models weren’t different enough.
So there is more punch from the engine. 444bhp, a 15bhp gain. And for the first time, the 44mm-wider rear body is accompanied by a 26mm extension to the front. There are many other detailed changes, which we’ll come to later.
What’s it like?

As always when driving a GT3 RS, it is difficult to concentrate on anything else. Not because it is especially demanding, in many ways it is a surprisingly easy car to drive, but because it is so all-consuming.
There is the noise, a wonderful mixture of mechanical whirs and induction gasps. Next to the GT3, not only do you hear more (because of that rear window), but also the sound is different. The RS gets a titanium exhaust (lighter and with different resonant properties), and uses a single-mass flywheel (also lighter). Together they produce a more irregular, unsettled idle, and a faster throttle response.
But it is the feel of the thing that makes the GT3 such a spectacularly enjoyable car to drive (even more so in RS trim). Personally I think it has one of the best steering systems of any car on sale today - feelsome, accurate and with ideal weighting, whatever the corner speed. Does it steer and more sweetly than the regular GT3? Without driving the two back to back on the same road it is difficult to be categorical, but from where I’m sitting today I’d say so. There’s just a fraction more feel and confidence and feel on turn-in, especially through the faster stuff.
At 1370kg, the RS saves 25kg over the GT3. Why not more? Because the weight-saving measures have to first clawback the mass added by the extra bodywork and wider wheels; the RS runs an extra 10mm on the front and 20mm on the rear.
To get down to that that weight involves careful options selection, though, because you need to do without air-con (20kg) and the stereo (6kg), and fork out for ceramic brakes (20kg), and the lightweight bucket seats (not cheap, at £3064). Do all this and you’ll have the exact specification of GT3 RS shown here.
For the truly committed, doing away with the bi-xenon headlamps saves a further 6kg, while an optional lithium-ion battery sheds 10kg.
So on the occasions when it’s possible to use everything the 3.8-litre motorsport engine has to offer, does 15bhp make a difference? On paper the RS is more accelerative than the GT3, but only fractionally (there’s just 0.1sec in it from rest to 100mph). In reality you’d be hard pushed to tell two apart in pure performance, but in character they perform slightly differently. The extra power comes not as a result of changes to the engine internals, but a more efficient induction kit and higher compression ratio.
The flipside is that the maximum torque, although identical, is produced at higher revs in the RS. So you have to work a little harder for the performance. But the payoffs are greater, because over the final 1000rpm the RS sings that little bit more sweetly.
To balance the additional drag produced by the RS’s overdeveloped aero package (which produces 170kg of downforce at 186mph, or around double that of the GT3), Porsche has dropped the standard gear ratios.
In doing so Porsche has, perhaps inadvertently, solved one of the regular GT3’s main drawbacks as a road car: exceptionally long gearing. Second is still good for 77mph and third 106mph, but presented with a temptingly brilliant road, you end up using more of the rev range and more ratios.
The grip levels are so high that realistically, on the road, you’re only ever going to get near the limit through the tightest turns. But do so, and contary to what you might expect, the RS proves easier to manage than the regular car. Because you have more front-end grip, it feels better balanced, with less understeer and more neutrality. And because the RS gets Porsche’s clever active engine mounts as standard, it better controls the mass of the engine and gearbox (270kg) in direction changes
Dynamically there is only one grumble: that the height of the brake pedal, combined with the effectiveness of PCCB, makes heel-and-toeing tricky at road speeds.
Should I buy one?

It would be easy to dismiss the GT3 RS as a trackday irrelevance. Many will be used as just that, their owners able to tinker with the infinitely adjustable suspension settings.
But the surprise here is that the GT3 RS is still a useable road car, and not by virtue of conceding just enough comfort and forgiveness to get by, but because it is a genuinely enjoyable and engaging to drive. The ride is hardly any less supple than the regular GT3, the firmer suspension counterbalanced against taller sidewalls.
Is it worth a £20k premium? We are into a diminishing margin of returns here. The regular GT3 is hardly what you’d call disappointing, and the premium represents another 25 per cent again. But if you can afford the extra, the RS is even better.
Jamie Corstorphine

Last edited by Nizer; 10-29-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

The chart was pulled out of context from another forum. It was a comparison for 996 GT3 owners, who have a lower redline on their cars than you guys do. There were several other charts run as part of the comparison. So yes, for this particular question it's somewhat not relevant.

As has been explained by Nizer, top of 2nd on the RS with the shorter ring and pinion and an appropriate redline is mid to upper 70's depending on exact tire diameter and exact shift point.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
The chart was pulled out of context from another forum. It was a comparison for 996 GT3 owners, who have a lower redline on their cars than you guys do. There were several other charts run as part of the comparison. So yes, for this particular question it's somewhat not relevant.

As has been explained by Nizer, top of 2nd on the RS with the shorter ring and pinion and an appropriate redline is mid to upper 70's depending on exact tire diameter and exact shift point.
The chart was just eye candy. I included a link to your posts. Anyone who wants a little self-education would do well to read what you've provided over there on "that other board" ... : )
Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Thanks !
That was what I was looking for.

So, on the stock tire (i know they are different), the GT3 85mph, while the GT3RS 77mph. I also realize that the stock tire is taller. So when I put my A6 315/30/19 on my GT3 in the rear it's now like 83mph.

So a difference of like 6mph. Now when we figure that the torque peak of the stock GT3 comes in a 6250 rpm or 500 less than GT3RS---I find that the GT3 is making max torque at 61mph, while the GT3RS is making the same torque figure at a speed of 60.4 mph due to the higher rpm needed to hit its torque peak @ 6750.

So to sum it up...while the GT3 RS would be slightly better for autox....I don't believe there will be a great difference. As the slightly wider car would hurt a little bit, and greater stability....might not also be as big a benefit on the autox course as on a road course.

Just trying to make myself think that the regular GT3 (which I own)....isn't totally getting its *** kicked in autox.

Thanks,
David
Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Thanks !
That was what I was looking for.

So, on the stock tire (i know they are different), the GT3 85mph, while the GT3RS 77mph. I also realize that the stock tire is taller. So when I put my A6 315/30/19 on my GT3 in the rear it's now like 83mph.

So a difference of like 6mph. Now when we figure that the torque peak of the stock GT3 comes in a 6250 rpm or 500 less than GT3RS---I find that the GT3 is making max torque at 61mph, while the GT3RS is making the same torque figure at a speed of 60.4 mph due to the higher rpm needed to hit its torque peak @ 6750.

So to sum it up...while the GT3 RS would be slightly better for autox....I don't believe there will be a great difference. As the slightly wider car would hurt a little bit, and greater stability....might not also be as big a benefit on the autox course as on a road course.

Just trying to make myself think that the regular GT3 (which I own)....isn't totally getting its *** kicked in autox.

Thanks,
David
Autocross in a GT3 seems like asking the wrong car to do the work. Boxster Spyder with PDK seems like the weapon of choice.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs GT3 RS top speed 2nd gear