If you want a good air jack system:

http://www.sobek-motorsporttechnik.e...hp/_c-3/i.html

No affiliation.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

When I had air jacks added to my 993 the cost was under $5K. Car had zero interior so the GT3 street car will require more time for a finished look.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbltime
When I had air jacks added to my 993 the cost was under $5K. Car had zero interior so the GT3 street car will require more time for a finished look.
yes, $5000 was about what i estimated.
expensive but saves a lot of time and sweat when working on car.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Do the air jacks have some sort of safety lockout? Can one feel comfortable to get under the car with air jacks or that's not what they are for? (just for changing wheels)

Just curious..
Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes, $5000 was about what i estimated.
expensive but saves a lot of time and sweat when working on car.
You could check with TRG. They had a race fab shop build their GA cars a couple of years ago -- the quality of the work and the cost were both decent. They had the process of pulling out the sunroof and putting in the factory steel roof down to a routine, so I imagine they'd also become very efficient in putting in jacks. If your car is under weight for its class, seems like a great upgrade. I think $5K is too high, but maybe there's more labor.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Air jk for tire only
There's safety lock u can
Buy buy I would just put jack stands there
Old 10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Do the air jacks have some sort of safety lockout? Can one feel comfortable to get under the car with air jacks or that's not what they are for? (just for changing wheels)

Just curious..
To translate what Moot just posted, there's a jack stand that goes around the leg of the air jack once the car is in the air, then the car can be lowered onto the stand and you have something as stable as a conventional jack stand. The air jack stand is designed with an opening so it can slide in from the side and fits closely around the leg.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

CGT is fluent in Mootiese
Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

Biggest draw back it that they don't go very high, like a 2 post car lift.
I'm really bad at being bending down low!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To translate what Moot just posted, there's a jack stand that goes around the leg of the air jack once the car is in the air, then the car can be lowered onto the stand and you have something as stable as a conventional jack stand. The air jack stand is designed with an opening so it can slide in from the side and fits closely around the leg.
Can you show us a picture of this device (an "air-jackstand"), and a source for buying them? I'm interested in getting something called "air jack skates" that are essentially what you described, but with wheels on them. After jacking up the car with nitrogen, you lower it onto these wheeled "skates" (three of them) that allow you to roll the car around on smooth surfaces -- with all the wheels off. They'd be very useful. I suppose some could be fabbed, or airjackstands could be modded to have wheels, but it would be easier to buy them if they're available.

BTW, having air jacks on a very low car, like a race version of a GT3, makes it easier to put it up on a garage lift (the two post type). The arms on two-post lifts are usually too high to get under the car, so if you elevate it with the air jacks first, you can then slip the lift arms under the car. Lots of uses for these things...

Rob
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that.. I got it now..

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rob S
Can you show us a picture of this device (an "air-jackstand"), and a source for buying them? I'm interested in getting something called "air jack skates" that are essentially what you described, but with wheels on them. After jacking up the car with nitrogen, you lower it onto these wheeled "skates" (three of them) that allow you to roll the car around on smooth surfaces -- with all the wheels off. They'd be very useful. I suppose some could be fabbed, or airjackstands could be modded to have wheels, but it would be easier to buy them if they're available.

BTW, having air jacks on a very low car, like a race version of a GT3, makes it easier to put it up on a garage lift (the two post type). The arms on two-post lifts are usually too high to get under the car, so if you elevate it with the air jacks first, you can then slip the lift arms under the car. Lots of uses for these things...

Rob
ok, let see if i can speak english and cut out my martian accent.

there are two type of "stands"

cheap one is just a regular "jack stand" with flat top of imagine a 4x4x6 or 6x6x6 such a stump of wood. activate air jack, you can work on pads and tires. if you want to get under the car, i would put these "jack stands" under the usual jack pads under the car. both cup cars and street cars have the same jack pad.

the nice stuff CGT is talking about is pretty trick and nice looking. it's like "C" shaped and 6-10" tall. you slide these around the activated jack stand. image wedding wing that can be slid and hug around the engagement ring. same mechanism. this "C" shaped stand will prevent the car from falling on you in case air jack loses air. i dont see many of these in actual use. most pro teams use wood stumps.

bottom line is DONT get under a car with only air jack supporting it.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

John in the "thing" I send you if you ever open it..
there is a disclaimer from VW/Porsche "Don't go under the car with airjacks only"

I just can't remember if it shows a pic of a person with his head cut off : )
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob S
Can you show us a picture of this device
Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
John in the "thing" I send you if you ever open it..
there is a disclaimer from VW/Porsche "Don't go under the car with airjacks only"

I just can't remember if it shows a pic of a person with his head cut off : )
i wont open that "thing" b/c it may tempt me to buy the "THING" that the "thing" is intended for.... and you aren't a divorce lawyer are you?

Quick Reply: airjacks under stock GT3?