Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

These forums can be depressing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Torched GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
There is always some good info here, especially when it comes to upgrades. We got a good deal on the telemetry/video systems thanks to the hard work of a member here on Rennlist.

But I do have 2 words for you:

Analysis Paralysis

I agree with some of the previous notes, just drive the car and enjoy it. If something breaks get it fixed. We all have new cars that probably are still under warranty so lets just have fun.

I bet if you went to the corvette or mustang forums there would be twice as much stuff about fix this or fix that.

Relax
Owning many corvette Z06's for 10 years I had one corvette break just driving like grandpa and then service could not figure out how to fix it and the car sat there 30 days. I'm much happier with Porsche Enjoy those cars and be thankful you don't have to encounter Chevy service.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Whats depressing is NOT having an RS!! BUT I admit I forget about it when I drive the C2S.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
M3... you can put in 50k, it still aint gonna hold a candle to RS.
Ask me how I know that, oh to well?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
me too...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly... From my own experience there's no other brand of car (at that price) that you can take "as is" to the track, drive them hard, and have a lot of fun with reliability and consistency. Modern, portly M bimmers are a disgrace to the heritage (for track work).

Nothing has failed at the track on any of the street P-Cars I've had (Racing is another story, but its normal given the exponential stress)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
me too...
wow, FINALLY figured out how to multiquote, only took 8 years on RL.

bmw. break my wallet.
i HATE those things; after 15 or so of those, no more, EVER.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

wow, FINALLY figured out how to multiquote, it took 8 years on RL.

bmw. break my wallet.
me too...
...and nowadays they are even unreliable for street duty. My wife's latest (2) X5s that we have leased (after the Cayenne b/c it didnt have a 3rd row), have been a reliability nightmare. Visits to the dealer every month and left stranded twice in the middle of nowhere
Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
...and nowadays they are even unreliable for street duty. My wife's latest (2) X5s that we have leased (after the Cayenne b/c it didnt have a 3rd row), have been a reliability nightmare. Visits to the dealer every month and left stranded twice in the middle of nowhere
new pepper is very nice. but i am surprised that it didn't have any provision or even a jump seat for 3rd row.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why i dd a benz and so does my wife
Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

thats why i dd a benz and so does my wife
Yup, and you can't beat the 7 year 100K MB Certified warranties!

I had bought new pre-launch edition '00 X5 4.4 Sport. In 3 years and 40K miles maybe 3 months all was OK. That was my last BMW. Engine cooked, many electrical problem, many rubber bushing, boots etc tearing.
It left my wife stranded 3x. She refused to drive it the last few months after it stalled on a freeway exit and she could not keep it in the corner without powersteering and it sat in driveway while lease ran out..
After that R350, S430 and now E320CDI and CL 65.. No real problems. Looking to add R320CDI or ML 320CDI.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me too...

Exactly... From my own experience there's no other brand of car (at that price) that you can take "as is" to the track, drive them hard, and have a lot of fun with reliability and consistency. Modern, portly M bimmers are a disgrace to the heritage (for track work).

Nothing has failed at the track on any of the street P-Cars I've had (Racing is another story, but its normal given the exponential stress)
True to that. I will say though, I love the M car's in general, I mean awesome feats of technology as a whole. Just irks me that they aren't put together well enough to hold up to the stressors we would love for them to endure. The E46 M3 is still one of my favorite car's in the world, and oddly enough one of the most FUN cars I have ever driven.. I mean, it's so damn balanced and controllable at any limit, I use to do crazy things in that car, and when it was supercharged that threshold was even higher lol, as long as there wasn't an oil/fuel leak, belt snapping, etc...

In all, nothing compares to a Porsche in regards to purity/thrill/capability per RELIABILITY. Almost all of my mileage on my GT2 is track miles, suffice to say, the thing is a beast and keeps running HARDER as the miles pour on.. Consumables and little nags along the way were the only replacements (such as the oil sending unit which recently went)... All minor though and common , I am thoroughly spoiled by these GT car's and leave underwhelmed after a test drive in most other car's !

wow, FINALLY figured out how to multiquote, only took 8 years on RL.

bmw. break my wallet.
Hah John, took you long enough... To be fair, my M3's were reliable when stock, or slightly modded (not motor wise lol)... Once I touched stuff, was all down hill ! M5 had smg pump failures

See above, yea not the greatest.. Surprised to hear that about the other car's in the lineup (X5) but I guess it shouldn't be? Don't know what they are doing wrong, but maybe BMW should reevaluate their manufacturing priorities and quality control.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me advice you to go by your own experience (drive it / track it hard until something really fails) and real relevant data from trust worthy sources. There's a lot of BS that gets posted and several others jump immediately on the bandwagon and the casual reader might get the impression that all this cars are a POS.

Even for the famous LSD wear, most users that complain about this do it based solely on static tests but not real track "misbehavior" as 99% of those drivers don't really push the car to the point that LSD locks and you lay down 2 (instead of 1) black lines on exit. Also, most still leave the TC/PSM on, which still doesn't allow the benefit of the LSD as the rear tires are braked by the nannies before significant slip happens.

Dont read and believe, go drive...
+1 While I find this site to have lots of valuable information, many issues get blown out of proportion and some things are just down right misleading. Porsche bases their GT3 technology on a proven race car that is very similar and I don't think there are too many other cars that do as well for a reliable street / track car. Take a 964 or 993 and turn it into a fast and reliable track car and you will realize how nice of a package the GT3 really is. Just enjoy your RS and follow your mechanics maintenance recommendations. You'll sleep a lot better.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I just spent the entire day at Eagles Canyon Raceway (NW of Dallas). My friend, Christian, organizes a couple of track days and we all split the cost equally among the drivers. There were only 15 cars, and I drove 75 laps (each lap is 2.5 miles), with very little traffic. Most of the laps were clean laps, unimpeded by traffic.

I drove the car to the track, did 75 laps on the track, and drove it back home. Almost every car out there had issues, except for...............

another GT3.

Quick Reply: These forums can be depressing!