Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Series of beeps from battery compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Series of beeps from battery compartment?

Today I noticed my car is beeping in a series of three beeps each lasting approx .5 sec. The cycle repeats itself approx every 20 sec. The sound is emanating from the battery compartment. Does anyone know what this means and how I can stop it?

Last edited by Jon70; 10-21-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
Default voltage warning

LiOn battery low voltage warning, drive it or charge the battery. Don't leave the key in the ignition and it will last longer.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

If you do not drive it, you should plug in a battery charger or listen to the beeps for days
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

whew, i thought was a time bomb.

drive drive drive it.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I just put 900 miles on the car over a 3 day period. I'm surprised that the battery is low. Anyway, I plugged in the charger.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Thanks guys. I just put 900 miles on the car over a 3 day period. I'm surprised that the battery is low. Anyway, I plugged in the charger.
I have had a similar problem with what appears to be a faulty battery -- the charger will mask the problem. The battery started out fine for weeks, but one day decided it wouldn't take a full charge and would just discharge itself and then shut itself off -- as soon as the car is jumped, the battery miraculously has full charge. The dealer is looking into cabling problems, but it seems to be just a fault in the battery.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Carrera GT,
Are you getting a battery replacement under warranty? I will see what happens once I unplug the charger. Excluding the coldest/snowiest winter months, I drive my RS essentially every week. I've never had a low battery issue with the standard battery.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

my lion battery is now a very expensive paper weight on my desk for the winter months. is it okay to leave it like that all winter long or do i have to plug it into a battery tender?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
Carrera GT,
Are you getting a battery replacement under warranty? I will see what happens once I unplug the charger. Excluding the coldest/snowiest winter months, I drive my RS essentially every week. I've never had a low battery issue with the standard battery.
The battery and cabling will be checked out next week (the soonest I can get the car to the dealer.)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The LI batteries seem like a huge PITA, especially considering the cost.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
The LI batteries seem like a huge PITA, especially considering the cost.
The battery is insanely light and the 2010 cars are updated specifically to handle the new chemicals. I'm in no hurry to call it a fail, but it's clearly in the "beta" range and the price is just stupid money. If I just wanted bang for the buck, I'd do the same thing as in my 993 -- jet ski battery -- lighter still and never a problem (always goes on a Deltran waterproof battery tender) and sealed glass mat construction, so it's easy to position down low, costs about $150. If I wanted just the exotic technology feel good, I think Voltphreaks have the top shelf product (and I think they've improved their prices in recent months.)

I long for 2007 when all we wanted was sunroof delete, now I want to order a GT3 RS with the following delete options:

battery (expensive, heavy, doesn't work, beta)
wheel (heavier than after-market brand name wheels like HRE)
brake rotor and caliper (not ready for the track, flexible calipers, expensive pads)
gas tank (no touring range, not impact safe, I want a fuel safe cell)
windshield (pits and chips far too easily, even after just 1000 miles)
seats (heavy, cheap leather, not flame retardant)
carpet (not flame retardant)
pressure plate (faulty rivets leading to catastrophic failure)
crank seals (rear, intermediate, front ... all tend to leak)
power steering (should be electric, hydraulic fittings fail)
coolant lines (fittings fail, catastrophic)
limited slip differential (poor performance out of the box, wears out quickly)
PASM (nice on the street, not good enough on the track, not adjustable, can't handle sticky tires)

I'm guessing that would put a "delete" RS around $80K. Awesome!

Given Chev can deliver a "carbon" 500 hp 'Vette, I think the goal is there for Porsche to get over its marketing of "weight reduction" and start seriously reducing vehicle curb weight -- sack the people that make the faux carbon facade cabin trim, and let's have a real lightweight cabin, forget the stick-on plastic fender trim and lets get the GT2 RS fenders (and let's have a composite material deck lid and let's not have hefty steel brackets and clamps behind the rear axle, let's see state of the art lightweight materials where it counts. Let's get some promises of "race car technology" from the GT3 Cup and see it in the GT3 RS -- electric power steering pump, electric a/c compressor ... and put all those things in the front of the car, not hanging behind the rear axle. Why can't Porsche do the work to get DOT light weight side and rear cabin glass? Why have electric window winders and heavy LED tail lights? This is all basic "parts bin" engineering that could have been delivering in the 2004 GT3, certainly in the 2007 and now with 2011 models, it's asking a lot of the faithful to wait.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey Adam don't try to tell us that all the above were triggered by Deputy's 12 word phrase. : )

Anyway.. glad you got them out of your chest,and with one or two additions I co-sign your early Santa letter with great pleasure.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Hey Adam don't try to tell us that all the above were triggered by Deputy's 12 word phrase. : )

Anyway.. glad you got them out of your chest,and with one or two additions I co-sign your early Santa letter with great pleasure.
I'm pleased to hear that someone appreciates my sense of humour ... : )
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

That was a great rant

I looked at the new LI battery at the dealer. It's pretty slick. Like the size of a box of tissues and very light. However, for $2k and limited cranking power, I'll pass. My car has the standard battery and if it's left off the tender for more than 7-10 days, its a coin toss whether or not it will start. I imagine it wold be much worse with the LI batter.

I think I'd rather put in some lexan windows and cgt seats if a diet was in order. For that matter I'd love to gut it like some of the ones I've seen on here but don't have the ***** to do so. The deviated stitching looks way too nice
Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The battery is insanely light and the 2010 cars are updated specifically to handle the new chemicals.
Does that mean these batteries cannot be correctly used in a pre-10 car? I have mine in my 08 and for the past 2 months it was working perfectly.

Quick Reply: Series of beeps from battery compartment?