Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Advice Needed: PCCB replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 PM
bperry
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
maybe get a PCCB "hat" and install the steel rotors on those?
TPC Racing will build full floating custom Hats to use with what are essentially cup steel friction rings. They are priced a little cheaper than the Brembo replacement rotors and the friction rings are replaceable at around $480 each. It has been awhile since I spoke to them and don't remember if there is a provision for the parking brake. They apparently will rattle some being true full floats on the street. Probably not a bad deal for a mostly tracked car.

Has anyone tried a big brake kit from Brembo, StopTech, or Performance Friction on their .1 or .2 cars? Is there an advantage to these over the the OEM steel rotors and calipers? Less Pad taper? The full race 6 piston/ 6 pad monoblock calipers from Performance Friction look incredible!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bperry
Actually I understand Porsche decided in their wisdom to make the offset for the caliper and hat different for the PCCBs and the OEM steel brakes so you can't do this. That's what the guys at TPC racing told me. In other words the PCCB caliper has a different centerline that red calipers but the hub bracket is the same.

I have been using the Porsche 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotors on my 997.1 GT3RS as PCCB replacements. ~2 mm shims on the front caliper stand offs solve this issue (all work done by Porsche since this is a CPO'd car). Brakes are exceptional, the only thing I would do differently is use PFC 01 pads instead of the Carbotech XP10. Not enough initial bite for my preferences.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the subject.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=39159

Since that thread I have had the car back to Mid Ohio 3x, at Nelson Ledges 2x and to VIR. Rotors are in excellent shape and will be transferred to my new 997.2 GT3RS.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 PM
bperry
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkozink
I have been using the Porsche 997.2 GT3/RS steel rotors on my 997.1 GT3RS as PCCB replacements. ~2 mm shims on the front caliper stand offs solve this issue (all work done by Porsche since this is a CPO'd car). Brakes are exceptional, the only thing I would do differently is use PFC 01 pads instead of the Carbotech XP10. Not enough initial bite for my preferences.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on the subject.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=39159

Since that thread I have had the car back to Mid Ohio 3x, at Nelson Ledges 2x and to VIR. Rotors are in excellent shape and will be transferred to my new 997.2 GT3RS.
I don't think I'm comfortable putting washers between my calipers and the carrier mount.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greygt3
You can buy the Alcon stuff through JZMachtech in England. They have the exclusive rights to all the Alcon rotors for the 996/997 PCCB replacements. I had a set on my 996 GT3 and was very happy with them.
JZMachtech is my supplier, too, and the supplier of a some friends here in Spain.

Actually I understand Porsche decided in their wisdom to make the offset for the caliper and hat different for the PCCBs and the OEM steel brakes so you can't do this. That's what the guys at TPC racing told me. In other words the PCCB caliper has a different centerline that red calipers but the hub bracket is the same.
The Alcon PCCB kit supplied by JZMachtech contains custom front bells to solve the displacement issue on the MKI.

Regards.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

I don't think I'm comfortable putting washers between my calipers and the carrier mount.
Neither am I.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: PCCB replacement!