Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I took the bait, just bought HLTP ...
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM
HarryS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Is there a way to overlay the laptime data from an Ipod (which does not have the camera) with data from an external camera? The issue might be synchronization but I just wanted to check.
The iPod touch (latest gen) should be able to overlay any video that is synchronized to your assets library (i. e. appears in the Photos app). Output will be SD however.

- Harry
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarryS
The iPod touch (latest gen) should be able to overlay any video that is synchronized to your assets library (i. e. appears in the Photos app). Output will be SD however.

- Harry
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

...I consider the TomTom car kit (for iPod!) to be the best solution available currently...
Once I got the TomTom kit, the enhanced ability to pick up the GPS satelites was dramatic! Plus it works as a windshield mount for the camera!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 AM
scottjua
Intermediate

So wait... am I understanding this right: Can you import ANY video and overlay on top of it? So in theory, can we get a whole session, and overlay an entire session's worth of data??

I asked Harry about whole session video and overlay within the app itself, but I'd be willing to toil with it out of the app and on the mac if its possible...

??????????????????
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scottjua
So wait... am I understanding this right: Can you import ANY video and overlay on top of it? So in theory, can we get a whole session, and overlay an entire session's worth of data??

I asked Harry about whole session video and overlay within the app itself, but I'd be willing to toil with it out of the app and on the mac if its possible...

??????????????????
I certainly hope so ... Going to try it with GoPro HD and iPod Touch + TomTom cradle...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 AM
HarryS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I certainly hope so ... Going to try it with GoPro HD and iPod Touch + TomTom cradle...
This combination will work, yes. However, even when adding external videos, the video needs to be cut to lap length to get LapTimer to overlay it reasonable. LapTimer synchronizes videos using the video's and the recording's END, so you need to be accurate here.

- Harry
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

damn I love 24Chromium's avatar.....though it prevented me from knowing what this thread is about
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

This combination will work, yes. However, even when adding external videos, the video needs to be cut to lap length to get LapTimer to overlay it reasonable. LapTimer synchronizes videos using the video's and the recording's END, so you need to be accurate here.

- Harry
Good to know thanks, so just to make certain I understand the synchronization occurs from the video EOF "backwards", so I have to edit the video to accurately end as I cross the "start/finish" line in order to get the telemetry overlaid correctly with the vid?

Thanks

- Larry
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Good to know thanks, so just to make certain I understand the synchronization occurs from the video EOF "backwards", so I have to edit the video to accurately end as I cross the "start/finish" line in order to get the telemetry overlaid correctly with the vid?

Thanks

- Larry
Any luck?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scottjua
Any luck?
not tried yet, just got the TomTom cradle and installed Harrys on my iPod and iPad ...
Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody have a lonk to the tom tom cradle that works with the iphone 4?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Anybody have a lonk to the tom tom cradle that works with the iphone 4?
I got mine from the Apple store a few months back.

This last weekend I did another event at Sebring. I've given up on the video part of Harry's Lap Timer. Mine is all jiggly and only records 1 lap and stops. I don't get it nor can figure it out or have the time to futz
with it at the track. So this last weekend I just used it as a lap timer part only.

Harry's works good as a timer only but I can't figure out how to get it to display current lap time and last lap time in the timer view that has the larger timer clock. I searched the help section while in the pits and found nothing on this or how to change what the timer is showing. It claims the top timer is showing Lap vs. Ref Lap and bottom timer is showing Sector vs Ref lap....nope this is not what I am seeing nor do I want to see this....I'd like the top timer to show current lap timer and bottom timer to show the time of the lap I just did..i.e. last lap.

I also exported a lap and pulled it up on Google Earth it shows speeds at a few points on the track with yellow and green blocks of sections...not sure what these colors represent. I thought maybe they show accelleration and braking but I have yellow down the back straight ina group of blocks and I know I'm not braking there. Again it's really confusing.

I also exported to my email my best lap time. I opened the file up and in excel it lists a ton of data but shows nothing about where on the track I am other than listing Lat/Lon and titming in seconds. Again not useful and very confusing.

I'm putting TraqMate or Race Keeper on my birthday list. I wave the white flag with Harry's Lap Timer....I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
HarryS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdrums
This last weekend I did another event at Sebring. I've given up on the video part of Harry's Lap Timer. Mine is all jiggly and only records 1 lap and stops. I don't get it nor can figure it out or have the time to futz
with it at the track. So this last weekend I just used it as a lap timer part only.
LapTimer currently records video every other lap only. Reason is that it requires some time to close the video recorded and to pass it to your Photo library. Just let it store a video every second lap, that's better than no video ;-) Data recording and timing is certainly done for every lap.

Harry's works good as a timer only but I can't figure out how to get it to display current lap time and last lap time in the timer view that has the larger timer clock. I searched the help section while in the pits and found nothing on this or how to change what the timer is showing. It claims the top timer is showing Lap vs. Ref Lap and bottom timer is showing Sector vs Ref lap....nope this is not what I am seeing nor do I want to see this....I'd like the top timer to show current lap timer and bottom timer to show the time of the lap I just did..i.e. last lap.
That's designed in a different way currently. Your last lap time stays in display for 5 seconds or so (blinking) before it is replaced by the 'running' time of the new lap.

I also exported a lap and pulled it up on Google Earth it shows speeds at a few points on the track with yellow and green blocks of sections...not sure what these colors represent. I thought maybe they show accelleration and braking but I have yellow down the back straight ina group of blocks and I know I'm not braking there. Again it's really confusing.
LapTimer shows your max and your min speeds, i. e. peaks. The green time will be typically be on straights and show the max speed achieved before braking again. A high green speed means you left the last corner in a good line and were able to accelerate early. The red times will be typically in corners and show the minimum speed you had in this corner before accelerating again. I'm not aware of yellow for speeds, its probably the lateral acceleration painted to the left and right of your line driven. Yellow is a value between 0.8 and 1.0g but can be configured. Please uncheck the data you do not want to see in Google Earth's left bar. By default all the features are shown at the same time - which is probably too much.

I also exported to my email my best lap time. I opened the file up and in excel it lists a ton of data but shows nothing about where on the track I am other than listing Lat/Lon and titming in seconds. Again not useful and very confusing.
Designed for post processing and completely versatile.

I'm putting TraqMate or Race Keeper on my birthday list. I wave the white flag with Harry's Lap Timer....I guess I'm too stupid to figure it out.
No, you just need a little patience.

Greetings Harry
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

A question here - is it possible to use an iPhone without a data plan - i.e. as hardware only - no phone plan?
Do you need a data plan to dl maps / info to the phone, or can you load those through iTunes? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Harry's LapTimer Pro