Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Harry's LapTimer Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And now it is possible to get RPM data from the OBD2 port as well? Anybody tried it?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Great thread guys. I downloaded this app a few weeks back and will be testing it at Homestead this weekend. Like others have said for $15 and a mount this app can produce video, lap times, overlay etc. Ill add my impressions after the weekend.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

For the prie this app is fun...but it is no replacemnet for a good video camera or data from something like Race Keeper or Traqmate with video.

I found that Harry's video through my iPhone is very jerky/wobbly looking. I can;t seem to figure out how to use the data to show speeds in various parts of the track. Also sometime the video stops altogether. Also I keep getting messages that the phone is in a different position and needs to recalibrate. Also the video overlay is slow .
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can see your min speed in corners and max on straights by looking at your lap data on the phone. If you want more intricate analysis, it can export as CSV and other data sets. It's actually quite amazing for $15.

I haven't tested the video. What mount are you using? Maybe your mount is causing the wobbliness and forcing the phone to recalibrate. I use the TomTom windshield mount.

The OBD2 device is like $175 so it exponentially increases the price of the setup if you use one. I might experiment with it, but honestly if I'm going go to start spending hundreds of dollars I'd consider doing a full fledged system (Traqmate, Race Keeper, etc).
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
For the prie this app is fun...but it is no replacemnet for a good video camera or data from something like Race Keeper or Traqmate with video.

I found that Harry's video through my iPhone is very jerky/wobbly looking. I can;t seem to figure out how to use the data to show speeds in various parts of the track. Also sometime the video stops altogether. Also I keep getting messages that the phone is in a different position and needs to recalibrate. Also the video overlay is slow .
I'd have to somewhat disagree with this comment, although I actually took the plunge and "upgraded" from HLTP to a Traqmate system along with a GoPro HD camera. There are pros and cons to each...

Harry's LapTimer Pro
pros:

- very inexpensive, even accounting for the cost of an iPod touch or iPhone as well as a TomTom cradle

- simple all-in-one solution (other than the TomTom cradle)

- no hardwire installation required

- simple to plug in, stick the suction cup on the windshield and "go"

- video sync is automatic

- no PC required

- excellent video quality

- true HD at 720p resolution

cons:

- limited data analysis

- very limited documentation

- not very intuitive for the first time user

- no ability to "overlay" other lap(s) for comparison

- no ability to "overlay" another drivers lap(s)

- only records video of every other lap

- only records video beginning & ending precisely at the start/finish POI

- inconsistent results meaning some laps are not accurately captured (see my prior posts on this topic earlier in this thread)

- videos fill your iPod/iPhone quickly, so you may need to compromise on your music or photos/videos library to make more room for your track videos

- dashboard overlay requires 2x or more space of the original video file for processing, otherwise it will crash your device

- no solution for mounting the device in the typical roll bar location (TomTom cradle has a GPS receiver which needs a view of the sky)

- no out-of-the-box solution for a wide angle view (to provide a pillar to pillar view of the car's interior when mounted on a roll bar)

Traqmate
pros:

- extremely accurate and reliable

- rich depth and breadth of data for analysis

- lap "playback" feature allows real time data (speed, Gs, RPM, brake, etc.) at any given spot on the track

- can "overlay" other lap(s) for comparison

- can "overlay" another drivers lap(s) (this is a very powerful learning tool!)

- TBL (theoretical best lap) feature stitches together your TBL in both data and video

- many off-the-shelf products available to mount a camera on the roll bar

- GoPro HD camera has a wide angle lens allowing for a pillar to pillar view of the car's interior when mounted on a roll bar

cons:

- expensive

- complicated

- poor quality documentation

- requires a Windows PC

- video is not integrated

- unless you buy a supported camera with a LANC connector, you must manually sync your video file to your data file

- must download the files to PC for post processing in order to see video with dashboard overlay

- video quality is poor (the camera alone isn't as good as my iPhone, I think the video editing s/w makes is all the worse)

- video that has been post-processed with dash overlay cannot play natively in Quicktime or Windows Movie Player - you must use a 3rd party video player

- video with dashboard overlay is not true HD video

Last edited by 24Chromium; 03-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

^ RIGHT ON.

Been using Harry's LapTimer Pro for about 18 months now. It's a great timer but a datalogger it ain't. Newest OBD feature is handy but it's still a far cry from real dataloggers in terms of channels read and analytical features. Also you'll need another piece of hardware to convert OBD to WiFi signals (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...XL1_jYcBYcaPvg)

I use this App to get an instant readout of laptimes and lap-by-lap timing once I pull into the paddock. For everything else I have the AIM/SmartyCam setup.

Net net Harry's a great value for money and I'd highly recommend it : )
Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Interesting! Yeah, when I read the notes as my HLTP app updated to v13, I was wondering how you get the OBDII signals into the device. I just assumed it wouldn't work with a TomTom cradle, since there is no direct way to tap into the 30 pin connector. Never thought about wireless. Wonder how well it actually works?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

As to my disappointing video experience with TraqStudio, does anyone have a better solution for true HD video output with the dashboard overlay? And have the final video file play on Quicktime? Is there some 3rd party s/w solution?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nash
You can see your min speed in corners and max on straights by looking at your lap data on the phone. If you want more intricate analysis, it can export as CSV and other data sets. It's actually quite amazing for $15.

I haven't tested the video. What mount are you using? Maybe your mount is causing the wobbliness and forcing the phone to recalibrate. I use the TomTom windshield mount.

The OBD2 device is like $175 so it exponentially increases the price of the setup if you use one. I might experiment with it, but honestly if I'm going go to start spending hundreds of dollars I'd consider doing a full fledged system (Traqmate, Race Keeper, etc).
I am using the Tom Tom mount too for iPhone4. I tried the mount in different positions...but part of the mount blocks the camera lens.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
HarryS
Intermediate

Hello everybody,

Got a pointer from Google Alerts and found this thread on HLT. Thought it makes sense to join and clarify / help on some of the points raised.

Documentation: probably not too easy to access, this is the central entry point on LapTimer documentation. Please let me know what needs to be added, I believe there are some deep dives included you will not find anywhere else. I've opened a forum a week ago, you can access it here. For starters, please go to 'More'->'Help' within the app to find a basic introduction. Next major version (14.0) will have an assistant to work through standard situations, hope this will make it more easy for beginners.

Data Analysis: again, a probably well hidden secret are LapTimer's data analysis and lap comparison features. Certainly not as elaborated as stand alone progs for past racing analysis, the views attached are available in all LapTimer Pro and Trainer versions. In Trainer it is really large. On the Diagram view: you can zoom in to check every corner individually. Navigate 'Lap List' -> any lap -> 'Lap Details' -> 'Track' -> 'Diagram' to get there. The diagram views will compare the lap selected with any reference lap. The later can be set as the last, the best, or any other single lap.

Let me know if you want further insights or run into problems.

- Harry
Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry, I want to say, AMAZING app! Excellent work man and thanks for signing up and helping out. I'm sure this site will generate it's fair share of downloads for you.

Can you please clarify how to hook up to the OBDII for RPM data?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
HarryS
Intermediate

Thanks.

The only OBD device currently supported is the PCX KiwiWifi. I will add OBD-2 Wifi soon. All these Wifi devices are connected using WLAN and an ad hoc network. The advantage is you can add both the TomTom and the PCX at the same time. The disadvantage (of WLAN) is, that it burns energy like hell, so the iPhone definitively needs a power supply.

- Harry
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the site Harry!

Harry is amazing at supporting his product and I recommend it to everyone. For the price there is simply nothing that even comes close. Thanks for the hard work
Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by nash
Welcome to the site Harry!

Harry is amazing at supporting his product and I recommend it to everyone. For the price there is simply nothing that even comes close. Thanks for the hard work
Indeed! I can't say enough nice/good things about him. How many times have you ever purchased a s/w product and gotten direct communication with the author? Hats off to you sir!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am using the Tom Tom mount too for iPhone4. I tried the mount in different positions...but part of the mount blocks the camera lens.
I can understand your problem, as I had the same issue myself at first. However, the TomTom mounting cradle is very flexible and you can easily adjust it so that the camera has an unobstructed view. It just takes some time to futz with it.

Once you get it adjusted properly for the camera and the GPS signal, be careful with it, as it is pretty easy to knock it out of position.

Quick Reply: Harry's LapTimer Pro