Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Harry's LapTimer Pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

So the iPhone records the video from it's camera or are you using an outboard camera like the Go Pro HD Hero?

I have Harry's Lap Timer and used it once at Sebring...could not figure out how to access the track map to see my speeds.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ex10psi
for those of us who use android phones... i've been using this app called trackmaster: http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/web/trackmaster

i believe i paid around 6 or 7 bucks... tested against someone using traqmate and it was spot on. couldnt believe the accuracy and all the features!

ok, back on topic... sorry about that
Sweet! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Blaine S.
Not sure what I did wrong, but I tried a variety of spacers and could not even get an intermittent connection. I am encouraged by your experience and will try again.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by my911rs
Thanks, Blaine S.
Not sure what I did wrong, but I tried a variety of spacers and could not even get an intermittent connection. I am encouraged by your experience and will try again.
Here are a couple of pics. If you want some of the felt that I used drop me a PM and I'll send you some.
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about them apples?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUE1zTcywos

All done with Harry's. Sorry about the dirty window! The Youtube quality is **** compared to the file on my computer. It's about 200MB and can be run in full screen with perfect quality. My mount was $30 and worked great other than a little vibration.

If you have any questions, ask away, I'm pretty proficient with the app now.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

P.S. The Z06 I'm chasing had just put his Hoosiers on. When he was on street tires I was whoopin' him

Also, data can be exported and examined in a cvs file. Within the App you can choose a reference lap and compare it to any lap you're looking at. Really, the only down side to this setup is that you can only record every second lap. During the other laps it's saving and formating the video. Fortunately, it still keeps track data while doing so.

Last edited by atr911; 10-27-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

So how'd you get the track and video overlay? I just got the app and have a track day this weekend, but can't seem to get the video to overlay the graphics while farting around with it....

Also recording video with the app FLIPS the video upside down depending on which way you have the camera set... what gives???
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Can't help with the flipping. Mine automatically switches to landscape view, but that's what I want.

To overlay, you go to the lap list under the 'more' tab. Select the lap (ones with video have a camera icon) and scroll to the bottom. Select 'overlay' and wait 5 minutes.

You should load the track map if it's available. Otherwise you need to set a start/finish.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:19 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Just wanted to update my status with HLTP. I've used it on a handful of track days now, all at Thunderhill in Willows, CA. I've got an iPhone 4, mounted in a TomTom cradle on my windshield. The mount is to the right of my rear view mirror, with the phone in a landscape orientation. I've got the TomTom powered via the cigarette lighter cable.

I've had very uneven results to date.

Sometimes it doesn't record a "full" or completed lap (a full lap shows in your lap list with a diameter symbol). This skews the data (for example, giving you an average speed of hundreds of MPH) and the track map doesn't show up with your stats.

Many times it records two laps as one. In the lap list, you can see many laps that have double the normal time.

I exchanged e-mails with the author (kudos to him for personally responding to me, especially so quickly). He did point out that my problems most likely stem from errant "triggers" and/or from poor GPS reception. I did adjust my TomTom location in order to get the highest signal quality. I also found that that, despite the fact that I had downloaded the track map for Thunderhill (the app has dozens of tracks around the world), it did contain two errant start/stop trigger locations in the pit/paddock area of the track. Even after deleting these triggers, my results did not change.

Anyone having better luck at Thunderhill or elsewhere? I am thinking my problem stems from the fact that the GPS is not receiving at a high enough frequency given the speed at which I pass the star/stop trigger at the start/finish line. I'm hitting 140+mph at the end of the main straight, and the start/finish line is very close to this location.

Lastly, I've suggested an enhancement to allow the user to choose if he wants the video to record each lap, or the entire session (we usually do 20 minute sessions). I urge you to write Harald and request this if you'd like to have that choice as well.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Sorry, did you say something? I was staring at your avatar...

As for the accuracy issue, I have all complete laps when I downloaded the map. When I tried to setup my own map and way points, I experienced many of the same issues you described. I might suggest looking at the actual way points. There's even a section where you can test it and you'll see how far off you are from the actual points and adjust them if required.

On the video every session, I believe it has to do with hardware capabilities with the iphone. Although it's insanely advanced, coding the video takes serious processor power. Even just adding the overlay KILLS my battery.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually did download the Thill track map from the app. It was a "certified" track. I'm not sure as to why I had the two extra errant triggers in the paddock area. When I deleted everything (all laps and the track itself) and downloaded the track again, it still had the errant triggers. I'm guessing that they were in the original submission by mistake and it wasn't caught during certification. However, it may also be that I added them by mistake when I first tried to use the app, and despite deleting everything, it kept the triggers I had inadvertently set.

atr911, can you go into more detail about how to look at the way points? How to see them and how to test and adjust them?

I leave my phone in the TomTom cradle when I process the video to add the overlay. No issues with battery life, since the TomTom is powered!

I did however, have loads of issues when my iPhone's memory got full. It caused iPhoto on my laptop to crash (I was trying to download and delete the morning session's videos from the iPhone, since I knew its memory was full), as well as HLTP to crash (it froze during transfer). I had to delete iPhoto's preference file on the laptop. Then I just rebooted the iPhone to clear the freeze. I suspect you need 2X the video file size on the iPhone's memory in order to transfer it off the phone. I ended up deleting a lot of photos and videos from the iPhone in order to free up enough space for the HLTP videos.

I can't say enough good things about the video quality of the iPhone 4. It's really amazing for a phone! 720p HD and stunning on a big monitor.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

IPhone video is insane.

Go to the Poi list and choose test. You can see how accurate the points are. Adjust lat and longitude for better setup. All you really need is a start finish point that works. It is a little frustrating until you get that one spot on.
The problem with multiple pois
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

as I was saying. The problem with multiple points is that den if one is t working it messes up the lap. The system is setup to assume you will hit them all.

I was running it for more than 4 hours on track and every lap counted until the phone died.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 AM
scottjua
Intermediate

Too bad I got to view this thread again AFTER this track day today. It was a good day, I had students all day so didn't have a lot of time to play with the app, but I got some success...

http://www.youtube.com/user/scottjua.../3/_0M0cTDsl5g

yeah... I'd love to be able to record a whole session and overlay the graphics on that. The every other lap deal means I missed my two laps in the 1:25s... although I have the data to back it up, video is better. ^_^

I also had a few issues with too many POIs... I think next time I will delete all the pre-determined ones and make my own start/finish line and see how that works.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
theinz
Track Day

as far as poi I used at Sebring (long Course)POI se testing shows all the poi as red dots but the line is only half the track. Is this the problem?

Quick Reply: Harry's LapTimer Pro