WTB grey 997.2 GT3 RS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
I had an 07 RS with PCCB's and got my '11 RS with regular steel brakes. PCCB's are more of a marketing gimmick and profit center for Porsche than anything else. The steel brakes are on par with the PCCB's (especially the new '11 bigger fronts) when it comes to performance, cheaper to replace and the "unsprung weight" difference, well I for sure can't tell the difference...driven a few Porsche's on the track over the years. Just my 2 cents.
Coming from Porschemeister, I’d say that advice is worth a lot more than 2 cents, at least $8840, unless you really love yellow...
Old 10-16-2010, 01:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy
Thanks for the insight.

I thought the unsprung weight benefits are hard to beat. I recall that for every 1 pound saved in rotating mass equals about 10 pounds saved in static weight. And for every 120 pounds in static weight saved equals almost a gain of 17 BHP.

But then again if one doesn't track it then your right - one can't really spot the difference.
my 2 cents.
in theory sure.
on a bicycle, i can feel it and the acceleration in sprinting is big difference. but in long distance is not as big a deal. the lbs saving, even thouht important rotational wt, relative to total car wt in this case is not that much.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:02 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
well I for sure can't tell the difference...driven a few Porsche's on the track over the years. Just my 2 cents.
talk about understatement of the year. lol. a few porsches on the track.

i went for yellows this time around because didn't have them before and always wanted to try it out. i love how the car feels under braking, but the last one did just fine on steel too. one thing I don't miss is seeing spider web of cracks on the rotors all the time.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

I wonder why people would buy a RS.2 but not put PCCB's. I just think that an RS should at the very least have PCCB's.
Age old discussion, but my 0.02c for Pete;
Unless money no object, I disagree. Unlike the Movit ($20K) the OEM PCCB don't last forever and cost $8K+ to buy and are expensive to replace.
PCCB will be awesome when solid PCCB rotors like Movit will really last a lifetime. I wonder if they fit on the red calipers as well. I believe they are now the same, so if you buy a red caliper car, you can retro fit PCCB or Movit rotors easily.

With the new Co-Cast steel rotors the weight savings is minimal and I would gladly take heavier rotors if they lasted longer (Slotted) and were cheaper.

If you don't track it is no issue, but if you don't track why bother?

If you track 30+ track days a year I can buy OEM rotors for about 3/4 years. It is also recommended to only use up the $800+ brake pads only 50% to spare the PCCB rotors, so the pad cost increases as well.

Buying PCCB in my case would be betting that the PCCB rotors will last at least 3 years or about 90 drack days. This has not been proven yet, but maybe by now there are more track junkies that can post.

Maybe you would get some money back on resale, but not much, I think.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Peter Daily
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FL Porsche,

Your car looks awesome, but I am set on grey. Thanks for the offer!

Trakcar, Mooty,

Appreciate the numbers. Readjusted my expectations.

I am now hunting for specific options at best price (grey (w/pref grey accent), axle, non-pccb). There is one on ebay that Ill canvas... thinking of $125k.

ZBB0730's looks great, but I won't need a cage for a while, dont like the red dials, and prefer stock exhaust. Though since Ill be exporting the car, I may have to replace the dash with metric.

Thanks again for the tips guys!

Peter
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FL Porsche
...you may want to consider my 2010 RS, unique that it is white with black graphics and trim, silver wheels with black center caps, nicely optioned with the RSS rollbar in powder coated black with the Tequipment GT3 HANS 6 point harness. This car has NEVER been on a track. I have only driven it 600 miles. 3M clear on front and 3M black on the hood. Photos on this link:
http://gallery.me.com/mw993#100497
MSRP $148+, plus the add-ons. Will discuss at $138,000. Thank you.
Sweet Jesus, that is a trick RS.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FL Porsche
...you may want to consider my 2010 RS, unique that it is white with black graphics and trim, silver wheels with black center caps, nicely optioned with the RSS rollbar in powder coated black with the Tequipment GT3 HANS 6 point harness. This car has NEVER been on a track. I have only driven it 600 miles. 3M clear on front and 3M black on the hood. Photos on this link:
http://gallery.me.com/mw993#100497
MSRP $148+, plus the add-ons. Will discuss at $138,000. Thank you.
Already selling it???
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

I won't need a cage for a while, dont like the red dials, and prefer stock exhaust.
I had red dials in my GT3 and thought the were a bit much, but when my RS came in, it looked a bit plain. No big deal and I think they can change the color, but in retrospect I would have gotten them again. All GT3's need a roll bar, incomplete without it and you need it, even for your first track day, along with 6 point seat belts and Hans. The exhaust can be made stock within hours. Rogers car sounds swefully cool though, I'd only make it stock to bring to the dealer for service and warranty work....

FL Porsche..Selling so soon?? Nice looking RS is your front lip wrapped, or is it CF?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Peter Daily
Intermediate

As there hardly seems to be much discount for buying used, maybe new is the way to go. It is easily worth 20k to me to:

- be the first owner
- choose options
- know exactly how the car was used
- full warranty, no need for cpo etc.

Does anyone know if/where there are any GT3 Rs allocations left?

Thanks again,

Peter
Old 10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Stevenfl
Banned

20k off cars that have < 2000 miles and are 6 months old is not much discount?

The smell of tire kicking is thick in the air ..
Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 667 Posts

I just came back from Stoddard's (Willoughby, Ohio) where I drove an '11 GT3 (very impressive next to me 993) and Turbo S (oh my, oh my!) to compare. They have a 2010 grey/red graphics RS on the showroom (new) with MRSP around $163K that was ordered and I guess deal fell through. I work with Brad Kennett there and he said they'll discount it to move it - don't know how much. Someone's coming in to drive it Monday and may buy it. Not my cup of tea, but nice looking. I didn't look that closely, but I think it has PCCBs. Brad's cell is 440-309-5002. My son was home from grad school and he tagged along. Brad and I went out in the GT3 and, when we got back, he said "your son shouldn't have to sit around; here, go for a ride" and handed me the keys to a brand new $173K Turbo S. I have no other affiliation, but if I can help him sell that RS, he already "paid" my son and me. Good luck to you.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 667 Posts

Here's the link. If this isn't a 997.2 GT3RS, sorry, I'm not up on the .2 part nomenclature. Looks like the first -$10K is taken care of:
http://stoddard.porschedealer.com/ne...59790/info.php
Old 10-16-2010, 09:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Daily
As there hardly seems to be much discount for buying used, maybe new is the way to go. It is easily worth 20k to me to:

- be the first owner
- choose options

Thanks again,

Peter
did you say u are exporting the car? if so, there's no warranty. maybe i confused you with someone else?

there are no new allocation for RS. what u see out there is it. the one's not here yet are all specified.

it is always nice to get a new car spec'd the way you want. i did. but you also end up paying more for it (dep'n)
Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Daily

- be the first owner
- choose options

Thanks again,

Peter
When I purchased my '07 GT3 when new, I had to warrant to Porsche that I would not the car from the US for at least one year. Not sure whether this is still the case today. Since you are looking to export it to Switzerland you might want to find out.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

By the way how everything sounds- if u want to find a used car with your specs in mind u may want to list what u want. Don't understand why u don't need a rollcage but each to your own- usually u get that at little costs to u. What's the point of having no rollcage- u can't even retrofit seats there. What u plan to do with the car neway? Grocery getter? Mike

Quick Reply: WTB grey 997.2 GT3 RS...