AUTOCAR - GT3RS is UK's Best Driver's Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts
Default AUTOCAR - GT3RS is UK's Best Driver's Car

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/253307/

The Porsche 911 GT3 RS has emerged victorious in Autocar’s annual Britain’s Best Driver’s Car comparison for 2010.
All seven of Autocar's judges placed Porsche's latest lightweight special at the top of their list, beating off stiff competition from nine other brilliant driver's cars launched during the past year, as well as last year's winner, the Lotus Evora.
See all the cars in action at Autocar's Britain's Best Driver's Car 2010 contest
The three-day test took place at the recently re-opened Donington Park circuit in Leicestershire, as well as some of Britain’s best B-roads that surround Castle Donington.

The 911 GT3 RS took victory ahead of the Noble M600 and, surprisingly, the Ferrari 458 Italia. The Ferrari may have been the quickest around Donington, but its quick steering and transition from understeer to oversteer wasn’t to all of the judges’ tastes.

The Evora finished in fourth place ahead of the Renaultsport Megane 250 Cup, Lotus Elise, Mercedes SLS AMG, Audi RS5, Jaguar XJ Supersport, VW Scirocco and Alpina B5 S.

Editor-at-large Steve Sutcliffe described the 911 GT3 RS as “very possibly the best road car any of us has ever driven around a circuit”.

Chief road tester Matt Prior said of the Porsche: “It’s the most frenetic on-road experience here but, when you’re in the mood, absolutely one of the finest.”
For the full story, see the 13 October edition of Autocar magazine, on sale today.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo GT3RS! David among Goliaths :-)
Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Autocar's Best Driver's Car 2010: Porsche 911 GT3 RS...

Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Proud I got my self one!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a bizarre collection of cars to have in a comparison where the GT3 RS and Italia are head and shoulders and probably 10 seconds a lap faster than the also-rans. The Noble is there because it's a UK magazine, fair enough. While my devotion blinds me (and I can't manage to look at the Italia anyway) I don't see how the GT3 RS can possibly be put above the Italia. Mid-engine, twin-clutch, horsepower ... that's too much argue that the rear engine, manual gearbox and less power/torque of the 911 wins out. Perhaps the Italia is just really hard to drive without practice and none of their drivers has had any seat time to give it a fair shake. I guess it was more of an emotional comparison and subjective assessment than outright performance since it's a "panel" of drivers and none of them a professional racer.

* footnote: I saw an Italia 458 in red with the factory black roof paint -- it makes a huge difference to the "slab-sided" and downright ghastly appearance of the 458. All it needs now is a replacement for the hideous headlights and it would be almost an attractive Ferrari. Oh, and if you throw about $20K of (real) carbon fibre and leather and Alcantara at the cabin, it goes from cheap, plastic Toyota to something you'd expect to find in a Ferrari.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I don't see how the GT3 RS can possibly be put above the Italia.
It went something like; "So solid, it feels unstoppable..." I guess it just feels better.

Quick Reply: AUTOCAR - GT3RS is UK's Best Driver's Car