Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS as daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

19" in large sizes like RS is somewhat limited.
lots of wheel makes now do CL 18" that clr even pccb. just get a set of those and you have a lot of 18" tires to run on. u are in bay area, so there's only a few days, maybe 10 or 15 where it's pouring like hell other than that, you should be able to drive it every day.

though i really wouldn't drive ANY car you really like near SF or any where there are bridge, tunnels or traffic (that's about 95%) of SF ;-) why?.... look around you, see how many ppl are on hand held phones, texting and lip sticking. i have been rear ended (when i am fully stopped) at stop signs, redlights, bridge tolls. for me that's the main reason not to drive those cars unless your commute is before 5am and after 8pm.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mooty, thanks for the reply.

So there really are no rain-worthy tires for the RS cars with stock wheels then? That's a bummer. Oh well.

I use my Turbo S as a daily driver, and love every second of it. Yeah, I get occasional damage from debris on the highway, but Premier's films always save the day; in fact, I'm headed there tomorrow morning to replace my hood film. But so far, no accidents, and no tickets (which I wholeheartedly deserve). And I commute after 10am and 7pm, so traffic is a breeze. I never take the Porsche into the city, or leave it at BART, or anything too risky like that. When I'm desperate, or need a bigger car, I just rent something.

So, the bottom line is -- if I could find a way to make a GT3RS work in the rain, I'd consider one as a daily driver. You only live once, right? Might as well make the commutes as fun as possible.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

So there really are no rain-worthy tires for the RS cars with stock wheels then? That's a bummer. Oh well.
==> there is, but those are not very good in dry. goto tirerack.com and search tires for RS oem sizes, i think it's general tires? it's really really cheap. trakcar runs those. they are great in the wet. tread pattern with 4x4.

And I commute after 10am and 7pm, so traffic is a breeze.
===> geeze, what do you do??? good hours. in that case, i say get a RS for DD. why not. you know sammy too. he wraps all my p cars and lotus as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 31 Posts

Well I started this thread and it has been interesting. I got a call from my local dealer in the UK this morning who had a cancelled order for a January 2011 delivery car to my own spec, so I have ordered it. It will be a daily driver - I have had too many cars which I am "too precious about" (the wife's quote, not mine). Will have lifting kit, Pirelli Corsas for the summer and Pirelli Winter Sottozero for the winter. The only downer appears to be a lack of underseal (which the dealer could apply, but a cheap run around could be the answer).

Still don't know how to strap my MTB to the roof though - maybe bungee cords on the rear wing?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

celestequattro, how are you going to get Corsas for the rears of the RS? Are you getting a second set of rims that are smaller?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 31 Posts

Tyres are a thorny issue I also had with my 997.1 GT3. The OPC here in the UK would not fit anything not sanctioned by Porsche even if it was of the correct size and was more suited to the UK climate. They cited potential insurance issues, although if I were an insurer I would probably prefer to insure the risk of a non track tyre on a wet motorway in the winter than a tyre approved for the car but less suited to the conditions. The OPC solution was to supply a different size of wheel with "approved" tyres and swap each every winter / summer.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
360bhp
Advanced

hi celestequattro, my UK dealer also offered the combination you described. However I think the rear wheel/tyre is from the GT3 and will look smaller in appearance when you fit it on a RS.2 If anyone has any pictures please send them in ?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The CORSA SYSTEM tire is one of the OEM tires for the RS and it is superior to the Cup in the wet.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:17 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus, the GT3 and RS wheels are the same size, just a different offset. And GT3 runs a 305 tyre.
Best, w
Old 10-31-2010, 09:00 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by celestequattro
Still don't know how to strap my MTB to the roof though - maybe bungee cords on the rear wing?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...road-bike.html
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The CORSA SYSTEM tire is one of the OEM tires for the RS and it is superior to the Cup in the wet.
Bob, can you point me to where we can buy 325/30-19 Corsa tires? I haven't been able to find them.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Try the Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=23YR90CALN0

Nice tires, and good in the rain.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Ok, that's weird. I used tirerack to search for tires for a GT3 and those didn't come up. But this seems like good news. Thanks!

Quick Reply: GT3 RS as daily driver