Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS as daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM
AndreGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cups are gone in 1500 miles. I am putting ps2 or Re050 N1 on my GT3.

As a daily car i would not buy a GT3. To much attention.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I find it much easier to obey the traffic laws (well, mostly speed limits, I behave well regarding the other regulations) in my GT3. The car is too stiff and showy to go anywhere fast. Maybe a brisk entry into a smooth ramp here and there but otherwise it is too bothersome to go at any sort of pace faster than the speed limit.

The M3 is much more difficult to drive slowly on the street as it is so smooth over road imperfections. I also don't feel as much attention as in the GT3. Idiots don't challenge me to "race".

I would strongly advise against owning a GT3 RS as one's only car unless you have very good access to alternative transport (public transit, etc.). It can be driven daily, especially if your routine fits it well. Going from an indoor garage to another indoor garage is not so bad. A mostly suburban commute is relatively easy to do.

And as others said don't use MPSC tires on the street in heavy rain. Corsas will work fine, though.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven in some serious downpours in the Corsas with lots of standing water and have been amazed how well they stayed connected to the road.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM
YellowCalliper
Intermediate

I tried to use my RS as a daily driver. The heavy clutch and getting in and out of the seats got old for me. If you have a nice long commute with some good curves it is a great car but for short drives in traffic I did not like it. Just my opinion.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1!!
I sold mine with a couple of hundred miles on them after the first cloud burst!
Yes, that's the only downside of the car as it comes from the factory (driving through standing water). So if you drive long distances use PS2s or Pirelli Corsas in the Summer and Winter tires are a must under 40F and with snow/ice.

There's no point in saving these cars as collectors items for someone else in the future. They are not rare and will depreciate just as anything else, and are perfectly drivable every day. The GT2 carbon buckets are the best (most comfortable) seats Ive ever had on a car. The lateral support doesnt require any effort from you to hold your body in place.

I've done 23K miles on my daily driver GT2 and will not consider at all having it parked as a garage queen.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 616 Likes on 258 Posts

My GT3 (non-rs) is my only car. I live in Los Angeles, Ca. No problems, just squeeky brakes can get annoying.
I use Bridgestone RE-11 tires, better than PS2 tires in dry conditions, probably the grippest non R compound you can get. I have no problems in the rain with them.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgomez
Winter tires are a must under 40F and with snow/ice.
It's not just winter tires. The car has no rust proofing unlike other Porsches. If you drive it frequently in real winter conditions on public roads (the ones that get salted into oblivion) it will crumble into pieces after a few years.

I did one drive in the car in winter conditions (on PSCs longest continous code brown moment of my life) and the underside was just nasty. My mechanic was cursing me for that.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:19 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

It all depends with your commute 'route'. If it goes through long and winding roads then your in business. Otherwise dealing with a stiff clutch on a stop and go traffic for an hour or two can be annoying IMO.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
It's not just winter tires. The car has no rust proofing unlike other Porsches. If you drive it frequently in real winter conditions on public roads (the ones that get salted into oblivion) it will crumble into pieces after a few years.

I did one drive in the car in winter conditions (on PSCs longest continous code brown moment of my life) and the underside was just nasty. My mechanic was cursing me for that.
That's why its better to lease all this street cars, or buy them with the first big hit of Year 1 depreciation and dispose every 3 years. As I said, they are not museum pieces, they are just cars that are faster...

But, I check (and S ***, my race mechanic) this car very often prior to track work and cant see any rust on anything. Maybe in 10 years? but it shoudl have depreciated 95% by then...
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Have you got any official sources for that?
I checked after I read some similar quotes and if this is the case why is the anti-corrosion warranty on a GT3 the same as on a normal 911?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Have you got any official sources for that?
I checked after I read some similar quotes and if this is the case why is the anti-corrosion warranty on a GT3 the same as on a normal 911?
GT3/GT3RS Rust Penetration Warranty is not the same as regular 997.

Checkout the following link to a thread, inside the first post there was a Porsche PDF file, and it stated that MY11 GT3/GT3RS has 3 years rust penetration warranty, while the other MY11 997s have 12 years.

It is understandable as the GT3/GT3RS is designed to be a street-version of the race car, and weight saving out-priorities heavy anti-rust coatings. Most owners who own these cars usually have (or can afford to have) other cars to be beaten in severe weather drivings.

I actually agree with Porsche to have less anti-rust thingy in the GT3/GT3RS, because we traditional GT3/GT3RS enthusiasts appreciate how important is weight-saving in these cars.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...and-gt3rs.html

Regards,
Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then I guess you guys are out of luck.

I have, in front of me, the warranty booklet of my 2010 GT3.
Guess what it states:
10 years anti-corrosion warranty.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

i wish it's ten years corrosion warranty.

my car is a 2010 GT3RS for the USA mkt.

i am looking at "warranty and customer information model year 2010" booklet that came in the black fake leather pouch when car as delivered.

pg 33 section "corrosion limited warranty" subsection "time and mileage period"

"this warranty begins on the same date as the new car limited warranty, and continues for 10 years with no mileage limit (except for 9111 gt3 and gt3, which are warrantied for 4 years.) Any pats ...."
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

here you go:

The GT3RS is designed to be an everyday car. It is a "hot rod" porsche, but never the less it is a street 997.

Trouble is the approach angle is low on the nose but one can live with it if yo are young at heart.

Michelin PS2 tires in the summer are fine rain or shine.

Winter is definitly not recommended. High rev engine/rear wheel drive and zero rust roofing.

You should consider a C4S or Turbo as you one true car.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

I'm sure I'm missing something -- can you get PS2 or even Corsa tires in 325/30ZR19 for the RS? I see that Michelin makes a runflat in that size, but would you really use that?

Quick Reply: GT3 RS as daily driver