Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help Please- Spring Rates OE F/R for 2010 RS and Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
You are welcome

..but don't get your hopes up for Spyder numbers. I was trying to get the 2010 GT3 springs numbers and the 24H GT3RS spring numbers for Mooty. He asked me about them in August! and it took me two months and 34 emails.
i told you to send the germans those pix you sent me.
the front and the rear are both perfect. you can photoshop out her face.
then u will get the info you want.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Hahaha sure that would work.

But on a second thought f**k no, I plan to send her in Stuttgart on a mission, once my engine goes kaputt from the tortures I am currently performing, to get me a new one free of charge and might have a whole new gt3 attached to it who knows.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
You are welcome
I was trying to get the 2010 GT3 springs numbers and the 24H GT3RS spring numbers for Mooty. He asked me about them in August! and it took me two months and 34 emails.

Anyway I’ll give it a shot.

Let us know what you r planning to do. After all you are my assistant and I want to keep my profile intact.
Thanks for trying

Ah yes, would you mind sharing the 24H spring numbers? That would be very helpful as well. Thank you Boss!

Originally Posted by excmag
He also noted that the front anti-roll bar was made stiffer, while the rear was left the same.

No spring rates, however...

but one of the best Porsche road/track chassis guys I know Michael Levitas recently told me he isn't messing with his Spyder's chassis, after all, saying "anything you do will just mess it up." I'd definitely consider that as well as the car's inherent brilliance as well as the fact that its open structure is part of the suspension tuning equation, too, and thus will limit the impact of spring-rate changes.

That said, I am all eyes!!!

pete
The Spyder plows like a tractor at 8/10th's and above. "Outside" tire (MPSC/Trofeo) gets cooked (OE tires get destroyed) and rear tires are barely working. Porsche put on that big front bar but the rear tire sizes were increased (backwards, but at least, and this is why, they increased the rear spring rate). On corner exit it wants to push through the trackout point.

Mike and I had discussion on tuning the Spyder for months over this summer, and I bought some of their parts and wound up returning them (to their credit they stood behind their product and worked with me, and eventually accepted return) as I did not get the results I personally sought. Intelligent people can disagree on how the car should handle and we did.

I have a Tarett GT3 bar on the Spyder now and Ira at Tarret just made me (he will sell you one too!) a custom rear bar with 5 holes of adjustment and x% () stiffer than OE. "Road Test" to be posted in approx 2 weeks after I log more tuning and track time.

No doubt Porsche properly reworked the dampening of the OE struts, but the possibility to make what is great even better exists, just need to put the effort into it (as I am).

Originally Posted by AllanJ
That said, I'm also curious where this particular thread is going. I'm working with my brother on a 914-6 conversion (very flexible chassis) and we're fiddling with that suspension too.
I shall spill my guts as soon as I possibly can. R&D to be done first. The shared enthusiasm and interest of everyone is a beautiful thing!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The Spyder plows like a tractor
I recall Cass at PSDS mentioning the Spyder will rotate if driven with trail brake gusto.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I recall Cass at PSDS mentioning the Spyder will rotate if driven with trail brake gusto.
Indeed he did, and I agree, however I then asked him how to trail brake on corner exit, accelerating out of the apex. He agreed that would pose a challenge

The GT3RS I respect the opportunity to oversteer on corner exit. The Spyder I fear pushing through the track-out point. Totally different responses by the chassis. Come over to Reno-Fernley on the 30th and you can drive it. But hopefully it is tuned out by then...lol.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

I shall spill my guts as soon as I possibly can. R&D to be done first. The shared enthusiasm and interest of everyone is a beautiful thing!
So exciting!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Indeed he did, and I agree, however I then asked him how to trail brake on corner exit, accelerating out of the apex. He agreed that would pose a challenge

The GT3RS I respect the opportunity to oversteer on corner exit. The Spyder I fear pushing through the track-out point. Totally different responses by the chassis. Come over to Reno-Fernley on the 30th and you can drive it. But hopefully it is tuned out by then...lol.
Maybe a discussion for another thread. I think PSDS teaches weight transfer at the apex, so the slip angle should be established, power coming on and the weight moved to the rear.

As for RFR, I didn't realize you wanted long travel Paris Dakar suspension. Here's a 959 on the back straight at Reno ...

Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So exciting!
Yes, yes it is! Lol...

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
M
As for RFR, I didn't realize you wanted long travel Paris Dakar suspension. Here's a 959 on the back straight at Reno ...
Bwahaaaa! That is funny! The secret is out- a Rally Spyder!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for trying

Ah yes, would you mind sharing the 24H spring numbers? That would be very helpful as well. Thank you Boss!

1. You’re fired and I resign from my place. I hate being called boss.

2. No real luck there, at first they said we used oem springs then they told me that the drivers and mechanics had 5-6 different sets of springs to choose from.
One thing is for sure all were made by H&R.

Also I wouldn't be surprized if one of the sets was the *or close to MY06-09 997 cup set considering they used the slick cup rain tyres.

FYI Cup was:
Fmain length mm - N/mm: 100-260 997.343.531.90
Ftender length mm - N/mm : 75–43 996.343.537.90
Rmain length mm - N/mm: 130-260 996.333.531.90
Rtender length mm - N/mm: 60-50 996.333.537.90
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

here is a picture of my 600/700 springs with 150lbs tenders my mechanic used - car feels perfect on them, very well balanced. I do not think 200lbs split would make anything better.
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

savy, surprising to hear the mid engine box pushes at exit. you go too fast!
maybe that's my kind of car. i love my car to push, most ppl think my car are not driveable pushing so much ;-)
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

The Spyder I fear pushing through the track-out point.
I know you've got a lot of laps under your belt, but your description sounds more like an issue with the line than the car, no?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I know you've got a lot of laps under your belt, but your description sounds more like an issue with the line than the car, no?
It's not the line. Savy can make a neutral car push regardless of the line.

I've seen him complain that a shifter kart pushes. Hell, I've seen him complain that a shopping cart pushes ...

: )
Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Tough crowd...

Seriously, Johannes Van Overbeek drove my Spyder and commented on the understeer (push). I have dialed my RS to be nicely neutral and Cass commented it felt balanced to him as a passenger with me a week ago.

Oversteer/neutrality/understeer are personal preferences and I like neutrality with a touch of understeer.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,884 Likes on 972 Posts

Tough crowd...

Seriously, Johannes Van Overbeek drove my Spyder and commented on the understeer (push). I have dialed my RS to be nicely neutral and Cass commented it felt balanced to him as a passenger with me a week ago.

Oversteer/neutrality/understeer are personal preferences and I like neutrality with a touch of understeer.
How much camber are you running? Time to lower and stiffen things up?

Quick Reply: Help Please- Spring Rates OE F/R for 2010 RS and Spyder?