Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My test drive of the GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Perhaps the audience was being polite or showing deference, but the few questions were far too tame.
bit of that, yes.

remember that this was a press briefing. while i certainly don't make my living from my journalistic activities (which i do entirely for fun and pleasure,) if you come across as a trouble maker, i suppose there's less incentive for them to invite you again, and then my fun would end yeah?

i suppose its different if you represent a major international publication such as CAR or EVO or any other big rag from a huge market like the US or wherever; they need you as much as you need them.

i do remember back in '05 during the Cayman or Boxster launch, I asked about the PCCB issue and the Porsche panelists didn't seem at all pleased! same thing with asking about new models... and besides, in a public event, one doesn't realistically expect them to be completely upfront.

to be totally fair to Porsche, from my limited experience at these events, they are far more forthcoming and candid when you get them one-on-one. and this is true-er when you're talking to Walter Rorhl or one of the engineers. I recall it was in a private interview with Rohrl where he admitted that the then-new Cayman was quicker than the Carrera if fitted with an LSD, which at the time was not available for the Cayman...
Old 10-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
bit of that, yes.

remember that this was a press briefing. while i certainly don't make my living from my journalistic activities (which i do entirely for fun and pleasure,) if you come across as a trouble maker, i suppose there's less incentive for them to invite you again, and then my fun would end yeah?

i suppose its different if you represent a major international publication such as CAR or EVO or any other big rag from a huge market like the US or wherever; they need you as much as you need them.

i do remember back in '05 during the Cayman or Boxster launch, I asked about the PCCB issue and the Porsche panelists didn't seem at all pleased! same thing with asking about new models... and besides, in a public event, one doesn't realistically expect them to be completely upfront.

to be totally fair to Porsche, from my limited experience at these events, they are far more forthcoming and candid when you get them one-on-one. and this is true-er when you're talking to Walter Rorhl or one of the engineers. I recall it was in a private interview with Rohrl where he admitted that the then-new Cayman was quicker than the Carrera if fitted with an LSD, which at the time was not available for the Cayman...

It seems that Porsche has adopted a rather carefully orchestrated "oh, I shouldn't be telling you this" channel by supplying engineering folks at these events. And clearly, everyone at Porsche involved in the frontier R&D knows how to keep a secret (witness the surprise of the 918 and the GT2 RS itself.)

Anyway, I'm not arguing against civility in these press events (as you point out, what's the point in being the *** that feels he's the only one who's tough enough to ask awkward questions about PCCBs?) and there's no question that even the top editorial staff at the major car mags have a "don't bite the hand that feeds" while I think the auto makers like GM and Ford care about appealing to the journo's, I think Porsche and Ferrari are at the "it's a privilege we extend to you" approach to the press. All that in consideration, I think there was room for better informed questions. I don't know if it was your voice or the guy beside you raising the "crush" topic, but clearly it's the kind of "follow up" that readers really want to get if they really care about Porsche. I can imagine Excellence or one of the top Euro rags doing a five page bit on "just what the hell happens to all those 000 cars?" ... For example, I heard just recently that a "never to be driven" press car from a decade or so back appeared in an unassuming "for sale" classifieds ad when someone, I guess, forgot its "provenance." Embarrassments like that matter little to the factory, but I'm sure they've very concerned about the good faith with the local government DMV/DOT.

Still, I think it's a polite question and anticipates what buyers and enthusiasts want to know if the factory could address the application of the current caliper and rotor technology to an engine that's 50% more power and torque. Personally, I would have been itching to ask about what the hell happens between R&D, QA and production engineering -- do the test mules do 30K miles? Do they blow out power steering and coolant fittings? Do you run the brake pads below 50% thickness and test for rotor heat soak and the piston spacing causing pad leading edge wear? And why adopt a rear caliper design that loses the hot swap feature of the previous caliper? But let's go deeper, with respect, please explain the intended performance and design criteria of the LSD and how it will perform, especially in the hands of the driver you characterize enjoying the opportunity to go into power oversteer just for the fun of it.

I wouldn't bore Preuninger with yet another attack on the RMS issue or any generic 997 quality issue -- I imagine he couldn't care less that the "lightweight" Li Ion battery doesn't tend to hold its charge for more than about three days (though it's a real pain in the petunias, it's no real concern.) But I might persist with the quality angle and ask about plans to get more from the race cars than just the sticker badge on the hood. Where's the electric AC and power steering from the Cup? What about the race car suspension technology for the street cars? Why not offer GT buyers the option to get four-way Ohlins or Sachs instead of Bilstein?

I realize it's a model introduction and the questions have to pertain to the model, but when you've got basically "the" man in the room, I'd find it hard to not at least open the door for him to talk about futures.

And that leads to the final question: Is this the last 997 GT car? What else can we expect from the venerable 997 in its twilight before the brash, new 991 tries to win us over and the cycle starts anew?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was my colleague on the "crush" topic. i was the one asking the question about the rose joints and the possibility of retrofitting exiting GT2's with the 2RS's suspension

i'm with you 100% on diving deep.

in past events, there's been lots more time to discuss in detail, as the events spanned several days, and you got to spend meals with the engineering guys. I recall years ago, we were herded into a tour bus for the drive from the hotel to the restaurant, and i made a beeline so that i could sit next to Walter Rohrl!

in THIS particular event however, the time was exceedingly compressed. we really only had the time on the video with AP... plus a few minutes after where i discussed with the other engineer power outputs on factory cars vs "tuner" cars.

i've just "come out of retirement" as a part-time journo to attend this event (luckily for me, the guy who was supposed to go couldn't make it due to problems with his visa). HOPEFULLY more opportunities will come my way to do more of these, and the chances to ask some of the types of questions you ask will come as well.