Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any downsides to using Water Wetter in a street/DE car in a warm weather environment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Even if it does drop below freezing (0 Celsius dammit! What does 0 in Fahrenheit correspond to?) .
-18C
Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I am thinking of going water too....my garage does not get close to freezing

Is there a diy to flush?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:04 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I post a lot of my FLATOUT video's.

End result looks nice, but I don't want others to think I like a system that is a nightmare to operate and learn with crappy manuals, horrific support and counter intuitive software.
Originally Posted by deputydog95
So far all i've done is data analysis. And that seemed pretty reasonable. I have yet to try and merge video with the data though. Heard it's not fun.
www.racekeeper.com -- very easy to install and setup in the car and on the laptop. Quite powerful analysis and comparison tools, segments, theoretical laps, speeds, braking points, 3-axis accelerometer, automatic GPS track map, heads-up real time display through an iPhone, ample data acquisition capabilities as well as plug-n-play OBD for rpm and throttle position.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Dog if you decide you want to go to water and wetter let me know and maybe we can go in together go a deal.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 776 Posts

www.racekeeper.com -- very easy to install and setup in the car and on the laptop. Quite powerful analysis and comparison tools, segments, theoretical laps, speeds, braking points, 3-axis accelerometer, automatic GPS track map, heads-up real time display through an iPhone, ample data acquisition capabilities as well as plug-n-play OBD for rpm and throttle position.
I think that's the way to go now. I've heard only one comment that the video is hard to edit, but it can't be as complex as the Traqmate.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I've used the racekeeper before. It's really easy. That being said, I got a traqmate really cheap so that's what I'm going with. Not to mention there's something to be said for that the fact that most people I know are using TM so it makes comparisons easier. I'll switch when everyone else does
Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
-18C
Bah, I know that. Now explain to me why the scale of 0 to 100 in Fahrenheit was set as it was.

My theory is that it is never supposed to go below 0 F in England and never above 100 F.

So it goes from bloody cold to bloody hot. Very sciency!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Bah, I know that. Now explain to me why the scale of 0 to 100 in Fahrenheit was set as it was.

My theory is that it is never supposed to go below 0 F in England and never above 100 F.

So it goes from bloody cold to bloody hot. Very sciency!
From Wikipedia
According to an article Fahrenheit wrote in 1724,[4] he based his scale on two reference points of temperature.[5] The zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt. This is a frigorific mixture which automatically stabilizes its temperature at 0 °F. (A mixture of ice and water also stabilizes, either freezing or melting at 32 °F though Fahrenheit did not use this point in defining his temperature scale). The second point, 100 degrees, was the level of the liquid in the thermometer when held in the mouth or under the armpit of his wife — subsequent refinements. Fahrenheit noted that, using this scale, water boils at about 212 degrees.[5]

Later, work by other scientists observed that water boils about 180 degrees higher than the freezing point and decided to redefine the degree slightly to make it exactly 180 degrees higher.[4] It is for this reason that normal human body temperature is 98.6 on the revised scale (whereas it was 100 on Fahrenheit's original scale).[6]

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[7] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer’s scale, the two fixed reference points are that brine also freezes at 0 degrees and water boils at 60 degrees. He observed that, on this scale, water freezes at 7.5 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale (resulting in 30 and 240 degrees, respectively). He then re-calibrated his scale between the freezing point of water and normal human body temperature (which he observed to be 96 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).[8]
I knew the freezing point was based a brine mixture, but I recall being told a slightly different story about the body temperature, but whatever.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, thanks.

Now I'll have to figure out how I can relate to brine in daily life. I can dig the standard body temperature, though. That has some sense. But did Professor Fahrenheit check if his wife was ovulating or not when taking the measurement?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Crazy Canadians

My dealer is questioning the corrosion resistance of water wetter and distilled water. I don't really have an answer for him.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

This is interesting... Looks like running straight water/WW could damage your heater core if you run your AC.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf
Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deputydog95
This is interesting... Looks like running straight water/WW could damage your heater core if you run your AC.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf
The only way your AC could freeze your heater core is if it produces sustained temperatures below 32F......and I can promise you one thing, the weak AC in our cars will have a very hard part doing this. the compressor is designed for a minimal lift. I would bet on a good day our AC is producing 55F leaving air temp

I work in commercial air conditionag and design these types of systems.....you have nothing to worry about

Another note.....will you be at Sebring this weekend?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Not unless I'm going to Fred Flintstone it

The engine is still out of my car. Grrrrr.

You going? Chin, right?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

yes.....just Sunday

Chin

I am also signed up for Saturday (Chin) in November at Sebring
Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

You aren't doing the Nov PCA event?

Quick Reply: Any downsides to using Water Wetter in a street/DE car in a warm weather environment?