Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Patrick Long video - RSR v GT3 street car

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Here's a couple of Pat Long videos from MSR event. Don't let the different camera mounts fool you, the Cup ride was at 3x as intense as the street GT3 (not my car or videos).

http://www.vimeo.com/15240836

http://www.vimeo.com/15241236
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dissapointing. All credibility crumbled down at 0.30, "not really changing the braking points...." oh really?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in May I had the good fortune of having a private lesson with PL while he was driving my 3.9. An absolutely stunning experience! The boy can drive, even in the wet!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

ralph, you remember to buzz me when wonderboy is here next time. i want that signature on my car. maybe then i would actually keep a car longer.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lusoporsche
Dissapointing. All credibility crumbled down at 0.30, "not really changing the braking points...." oh really?
I'd suggest thinking through a heavier car with no power advantage ... it will be going slower (reaching a lower, peak speed between braking points) and yet it has ample brakes and front traction to control that extra weight. The driver is indicating the cars are certainly different, but not the night and day contrast he would have expected between a race car and a road car, all things considered. As others noted, he's a remarkably articulate person and probably makes for an edge in communicating with his race engineer.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As others noted, he's a remarkably articulate person and probably makes for an edge in communicating with his race engineer.
Agreed, the young man will have a splendid TV career after racing. He was very articulate and has a presence about him you rarely find in a young man his age. He is also aware of the fact that he won’t be a race driver his entire life. He has an open invitation to my home! We spent a wonderful evening around the dinner table over pizza, a few beers and a blow by blow of his win at LS just 2 days before.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Agreed, the young man will have a splendid TV career after racing. He was very articulate and has a presence about him you rarely find in a young man his age. He is also aware of the fact that he won’t be a race driver his entire life. He has an open invitation to my home! We spent a wonderful evening around the dinner table over pizza, a few beers and a blow by blow of his win at LS just 2 days before.
Not a comment about Mr. Long which indeed is very articulate and a good communicator. It's the video script, reeks to much of marketing BS instead of good marketing that it should have been (he's a factory driver after all).

I was like "oh boy!" when I saw the title and then went a bit "meh..." :-)
Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I could see that just how he transpires his point of view and words through the video.. Did you guy's watch the others? The drivers had absolutely nothing to say, especially from a technical point of view... Awesome review and comparison, but nothing we didn't know already
Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Not a comment about Mr. Long which indeed is very articulate and a good communicator. It's the video script, reeks to much of marketing BS instead of good marketing that it should have been (he's a factory driver after all).

I was like "oh boy!" when I saw the title and then went a bit "meh..." :-)
Well you'd actually be surprised. Just spent a few days with Patrick in both street GT3s/Cup cars and everything he speaks of is true. It's pretty amazing how quickly a street GT3 can be hustled around a track in the same way as a Cup car. Primary differences are tires, stiffer suspension, and the sequential transmission, as well as slightly better power to weight ratio.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Well you'd actually be surprised. Just spent a few days with Patrick in both street GT3s/Cup cars and everything he speaks of is true. It's pretty amazing how quickly a street GT3 can be hustled around a track in the same way as a Cup car. Primary differences are tires, stiffer suspension, and the sequential transmission, as well as slightly better power to weight ratio.
Right on. As they say... it's the driver.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:17 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen carefully, he said 'brake zones' not 'braking points'.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Patrick Long, 2010 ALMS GT2 driver champion, giving a lesson on the proper way to heat up rear tires on a cold foggy coastal day!!
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2010, 05:22 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

that's why i prefer walter rohrl - coz he talks with his hands. he is pure driver first, reluctant promo man second. pure old school machismo. rough diamond that has tried to be polished to no avail..
sabine is the same - she is buckwild, and loving it....... haha love'em rough!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
that's why i prefer walter rohrl - coz he talks with his hands. he is pure driver first, reluctant promo man second. pure old school machismo. rough diamond that has tried to be polished to no avail..
sabine is the same - she is buckwild, and loving it....... haha love'em rough!
I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Patrick Long and Jorg Burgmeister just clinched the ALMS GT driver's championship this weekend! I think it is patricks 4th driver championship, plus a win at the 24 hours of Le Mans and a win at 12 hours of Sebring as well as a class win at the 24 hours of Daytona. His hands do alot of talking as well. But I agree you got to love walter! Old guys rule.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yes, yes, aware of the long/bergmeister collabs in the flying lizard. great to see them flog the risis! these young guys are very professional, but to me it's a mild shame that most of their professional lives are orchestrated to the max.
if you get a chance, get a copy of rohrl's biography which came out a couple of years ago. it is a fantastic read! and shows how a young gun named walter, used to rebel against the corporate side of racing......they let him get away with alot because of his raw talent. these days, you gotta play the game, otherwise they will chaperone and mould the next kid waiting in line.
ps: i've done hundreds of virtual laps in the virtual flm #45 car round ls, and the best i can manage is 1:25862, some 8 seconds quicker than virtual 7.1

Quick Reply: Patrick Long video - RSR v GT3 street car