Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savyboy
We are working a fix for .1 cars at this moment and have a project car in the shop. Here is a pic of a fitting that upon dropping the engine we saw was about to fall out. Last image is one of my early prototypes: threaded, shouldered, ultra-strong machined aluminum tubing in combination with an an application specific (temp/ethelyne glycol resistant) thread locker/sealant. It should be bomb-proof. Refining this solution at this moment.
Savyboy are you planning on selling only the fittings or the completed

'threaded, shouldered, ultra-strong machined aluminum tubing in combination with an an application specific (temp/ethelyne glycol resistant) thread locker/sealant" part as a replacement w/core swap out?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
guykoken
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 996 GT3
Last Year (2010)
Mosport
About 35,000 miles

One coupling, the only one not over a tire, worked loose. Leaked coolant starting just before corner 10, along pit straight, through one and into top of two.

The one coupling was replaced by EU Autowerks (Courtney Walsh), of Woodbridge (suburb of Toronto), Ontario, and at the same time, each of the other couplings received their "fix" for the problem, which I must for the time being treat as proprietory information of theirs..

No problems since..

A buddy of mine also has a 2004 GT3 ..He had a total of about three of them go, in two instalments.

The story is that the fiitting, the coupling, is coated with loctite or some other adhesive and pressed into a passage in the block, and that the clearance is so tight that if it works out, which it does because over time the adhesive cracks, it cannot be re-inserted with fresh adhesive on it..
Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone considered welding AN fittings into the coolant manifold and then using AN hoses to relace the crappy stuff on there now?

I hate the thought of having to take the engine out, but if it happens, would be nice to have a decades proven system installed.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
Has anyone considered welding AN fittings into the coolant manifold and then using AN hoses to relace the crappy stuff on there now?

I hate the thought of having to take the engine out, but if it happens, would be nice to have a decades proven system installed.
Aside from cost, Aeroquip or the like would be fine. You'd want to make sure the mechanical connection between the fitting (with a hex) can withstand the torque to secure threaded coupling. Some of those coolant galleries are small and would not readily accomodate a generic fitting, so you'd still have to fabricate the connection of the new fitting.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
moto one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Figured I'd Xpost this-

If you've had this happen, open a complaint!
NHTSA complaints:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

Has anyone opened a complaint or complaints with the NHTSA? Although this is a smaller problem, I know that the complaints filed on the BMW HPFP issue helped finally get a recall.

Friends you need to follow thru on this and file a complaint. Not only did this get a recall by BMW, but it also was successful with a drive line problem with Range Rover. I also know that Range Rover had to reimburse owner's that had paid for repairs on this problem.

And as one poster said: This is a possible (and will be) a life hazard.

Mark.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2005 TurboS.

Failed during an autocross session, massive coolant loss. The one that failed is just behind the alternator.

I submitted an NHTSA complaint.

Fixed with cleaning and re-bonding joint.

Is anyone offering a service exchange for welded or pinned replacements? I am still searching the web for availability of upgraded parts. Are there any upgraded/superceded Porsche OEM parts?
Attached Images      

Last edited by samluke; 07-09-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

I haven't had a failure yet (2004 GT3), but was worried about the potential time bomb in the back, so I elected to have Sharkwerks pin them.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thread's been quiet for a while so...

Sat 30 July 2011:
- 2004 yellow GT3 from Rennsport region, 60,000 km (36,000 miles)
- Last lap of last session, half-way up the back straight at Mosport
- Driver came in, unaware, and saw smoke once in the pits
- We all drove through it but luckily, the checkered was out
- R/H side 90 degree fitting pulled out (the most common one, many pics in this thread already). Connecting hose #5 in 911SLOW's post #102 above
- Found some epoxy in the paddock, re-bonded fitting. Did one session easy the next morning

Don't know what happened next. Owner was not aware of this common issue, and does not know that I am posting here (never thought of telling him at the time).
Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 AM
lp997
Advanced

Originally Posted by moto one
NHTSA complaints:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

Has anyone opened a complaint or complaints with the NHTSA? Although this is a smaller problem, I know that the complaints filed on the BMW HPFP issue helped finally get a recall.
And as one poster said: This is a possible (and will be) a life hazard.

Mark.
Filed a complaint with NHTSB today. Finally have the car back in the garage. Still an amazing car, the GT3, but this entire experience will always sit in the back of my mind when I am on track....when will it let go again? Dealer said warranty is void if I use Water Wetter. Car needs a warning decal "Stay back 1000 feet: car is prone to sudden losses of coolant!" Eventually someone will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get hurt by this hazard.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lp997
Filed a complaint with NHTSB today. Finally have the car back in the garage. Still an amazing car, the GT3, but this entire experience will always sit in the back of my mind when I am on track....when will it let go again? Dealer said warranty is void if I use Water Wetter. Car needs a warning decal "Stay back 1000 feet: car is prone to sudden losses of coolant!" Eventually someone will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get hurt by this hazard.
I wish I could find the pic, but I have a sticker on my rear window that says "CAUTION: COOLANT INCONTINENCE"
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thread's been quiet for a while so...

- Found some epoxy in the paddock, re-bonded fitting. Did one session easy the next morning

Don't know what happened next. Owner was not aware of this common issue, and does not know that I am posting here (never thought of telling him at the time).
Your friend has big *****.... Not sure I would have gone out again till it was taken apart, cleaned, and then re-glued with whatever the factory uses.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I was with Porsche service rep again yesterday. They still don't acknowledge this as a problem. Same basic response you get every time if they know you're car has ever been on a track.

"It's a street car. Porsche can't be held responsible for the components in your car when operating in a track environment. Check your owner's manual. It's right in there".

I was talking to him about my LSD. My car is already "red flagged" because of the coolant line issue. He basically said my warranty is completely void since my car has been on the track. At least anything related to driveline or suspension components. Essentially everything that is expensive to fix is off the table as far as they are concerned....
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Andrew which dealer is this?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Andrew which dealer is this?
Same place you bought your car. Craig the regional rep was there with Herb. Good luck with the warranty on your new car. I hope you don't break anything powertrain related because they aren't going to help as they know full well what you use it for. They told me I'm not "red flagged" but I don't believe them. GM at that dealer was telling the Greek "they know about my car".... So disappointing. They make you feel like you're doing something wrong.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry