kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

2011 ***
GT3
2200 miles ***
Yesterday
Spun but recovered.
Near front right wheel. Link did not fail, but plastic pipe developed a hole/weakening.
Car at dealer.

REALLY ANGRY RIGHT NOW.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

On track at speed?
This is a different faillure; Keep us posted please.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If/when someone dies, even VW won't have the liability insurance to write the check to compensate the families of a couple of wealthy GT3 RS owners in pine boxes.
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Sooo, hypothetical situation-

Is there any way to pull these manifolds to be welded WITHOUT fully dropping the motor? Say, for example your mechanic is extremely limber, and just partially drops the motor?
I imagine so. The service "book" might call for a complete engine-out, but a lot of things can be done just by "angling" the rear of the engine/transaxle down and get an extra few inches of clearance.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
2011 ***
GT3
2200 miles ***
Yesterday
Spun but recovered.
Near front right wheel. Link did not fail, but plastic pipe developed a hole/weakening.
Car at dealer.

REALLY ANGRY RIGHT NOW.
This is a new type of failure. A couple of pics would be handy to identify exactly where the part failed -- it could be entirely unrelated if something got to point of failure and caused the line to split. Either way, it's disconcerting to say the least.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
lp997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year: 2007
Model: GT3
Mileage: about 8800
Incident Details: Sebring - cool down lap solo group (THANK GOD!)
Pulled over by safety crew as I was coming off the track. They said "The corner workers said one of the white GT3's was dripping fluid from the rear. We need to check all of them"...at Sebring, this could be quite a few cars on any given weekend. Shoot...it's my car! Temp and oil gauges still read normal. By the time I got to my paddock, it totally let go. Fluid was dumping from the front of the engine on the driver's side. Car was flat bedded to dealer today. The dealer says they have never seen this before and never heard of this before. I shutter when I think of what could have happened. Me, a brand new GT3RS and 4 Z06's running in a pack...Yikes.
What Broke: The brass fitting separated from the aluminum casting. It is the hose fitting behind the alternator on the driver's side
Fix: It is at the dealer. They just said they will repair it under my CPO warranty.
Given this registry of repeat failures, it is Water wetter and water for me.

Last edited by lp997; 03-28-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

What is this thread's total count of reported failure incidents now?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just switched over to water and Water Wetter and the weather immediately decided to dip well below freezing every night! I am closing up my garage and running a little space heater all night to make sure the temp stays above freezing. I sure hope it warms up enough that we're not seeing these temps in two weeks, when my first track event of the year is scheduled. I am forcefully reminded of very cold nights at DEs, especially in the fall at Pocono and the Glen, and wonder whether I will need to go back to antifreeze to cure high anxiety about overnight damage.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 PM
lp997
Advanced

I am in South Florida and I think all of our freezing temps are over for this year. Does anyone know if water and water wetter has any Porsche warranty implications?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

No Warranty issues I know of, run Water wetter year around. It was 28F at Sebring, no problem..
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 PM
lp997
Advanced

I don't want to hijack the purpose of this thread, but I have a question about water wetter. What is the mixing ratio (% water to % water wetter)? I also understand this system is pressurized?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Not sure, but I guess it's on the bottle, Orbit does it for me. The flush it a couple of times to make sure all the slippery coolant is out.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not sure, but I guess it's on the bottle, Orbit does it for me. The flush it a couple of times to make sure all the slippery coolant is out.
It tells you on the bottle. Life in South Florida is easier, except for the hurricanes and the occasional alligator.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
It tells you on the bottle. Life in South Florida is easier, except for the hurricanes and the occasional alligator.
Don't forget the brutal summers
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lp997
Year: 2007
Model: GT3
Mileage: about 8800
Incident Details: Sebring - cool down lap solo group (THANK GOD!)
Pulled over by safety crew as I was coming off the track. They said "The corner workers said one of the white GT3's was dripping fluid from the rear. We need to check all of them"...at Sebring, this could be quite a few cars on any given weekend. Shoot...it's my car! Temp and oil gauges still read normal. By the time I got to my paddock, it totally let go. Fluid was dumping from the front of the engine on the driver's side. Car was flat bedded to dealer today. The dealer says they have never seen this before and never heard of this before. I shutter when I think of what could have happened. Me, a brand new GT3RS and 4 Z06's running in a pack...Yikes.
What Broke: The brass fitting separated from the aluminum casting. It is the hose fitting behind the alternator on the driver's side
Fix: It is at the dealer. They just said they will repair it under my CPO warranty.
Given this registry of repeat failures, it is Water wetter and water for me.

I think that's the first precaution everyone should take -- track or street.

If you have any non-Loch-Ness-Monster (fuzzy, out-of-focus) photos, it would be interesting to know which hose fitting failed on your car.

As for the dealer -- if they're prepared to say they've not heard of it, then they're certainly not listening to their own internal technical bulletins and perhaps they're lying to you. In either case, you need to take control and not leave it to the dealer.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Has anyone opened a complaint or complaints with the NHTSA? Although this is a smaller problem, I know that the complaints filed on the BMW HPFP issue helped finally get a recall.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 AM
lp997
Advanced

Thanks for all the info. I don't have a better picture. My failure is the fitting behind the alternator (not my photo talents CGT, but the shop). I will have Orbit Racing take care of the Water Wetter. They do all of my non-warranty work already...and many thanks to Orbit Racing for transporting my car from Sebring to WPB and getting everything worked out with Porsche to have this fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry