Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track Monkeys. Get your coolant lines checked.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the '07 and '08 cars are old enough (in time and miles, heat cycles and whatever chemical deterioration) that the frequency of incidents will spike up. At the track today, a small group of "susceptible" cars (996 and 997 GT3's) one lost the power steering coupling and one lost a coolant line. Pathetic. Both cars were over 30K miles, round numbers.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CoGT3
So, as all the misc posts have popped up about the coolant leaks I have felt quite lucky to dodge the problem, until today.

My car is a DD/DE car, 07 with 46,xxx miles. Due to a busy year, I have not been to the track in over a year. I was driving home from work after a long day (30mph) and sure enough dumped all my coolant very quickly. I saw the light and immediately got off the road, by the time a check the reservoir it had maybe 1/10 of the fluid left. The can is now on a flatbed to Champion. The ironic part is I was planning to take the car in to get some other warranty work done (RMS among others)

Will update what they find.

Kind of scary at this point, this is bordering on becoming an endemic and dangerous problem. At least with the RMS leak the biggest problem is cleaning the garage floor and adding a little oil from time to time. I was hoping this would be a car for a lifetime to pass on to (or share with) the boys when they are old. Will see.
Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the '07 and '08 cars are old enough (in time and miles, heat cycles and whatever chemical deterioration) that the frequency of incidents will spike up. At the track today, a small group of "susceptible" cars (996 and 997 GT3's) one lost the power steering coupling and one lost a coolant line. Pathetic. Both cars were over 30K miles, round numbers.
Damn! Speedoflight (Joe) told me a 7 GT3 at Infineon pop it's coolant hose today.

Does this mean I have to drive with a bumper sticker that says "watch out for coolant incontinence"
Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 755 Posts

Does this mean I have to drive with a bumper sticker that says "watch out for coolant incontinence"
LOL, guess we all need such a sticker

Quick Reply: Track Monkeys. Get your coolant lines checked.