Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ca GT3 auto insurance premiums ... sigh

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Consider moving to OH,I pay $ 300ish for each RS every 1/2 annum.....
Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think I prefer my quote at 2:28 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpeIbkE_Rg4

Hahahahaha.....

If you haven't watched it, listen to him at the 2:27 mark after a high speed right hander.....
Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
I recommend CSAA. I suppose they do not cover track use but do any STD insurance policies?

CSAA is ok for Northern Cal, but So Cal permiums are HUGE!

I will have to read their policy jacket (when I can get one) to find out if they are track friendly.

In answer to your question, Yes. There are some policies that do. It's all in the exclusion wording. None of them outright say, "We will indemnify you on a track..."
Old 09-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by porschemeister
does Geico provide coverage on track?
I don't believe that Geico does, but that was an old policy jacket. I need a current specimen to go over. If you can provide it to me, I would be glad to look it over.

In fact, I have received a number of PM's on this topic. If you want help, just let me know. I am all for getting people in formed on this stuff as I feel that my industry does a poor job at best at this.

If you want help with a policy, advice on anything from coverage to claims, just let me know. You can PM if you don't want it public or post it if you think others will benefit.

Steve
Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
My GT3s were with AAA for 1200 a year
I have seen this time and time again. One person posts a question and then everyone quotes what they are paying; which is misleading. Everyone's rate will be different, some more than others.

As I posted earlier, there are multiple factors that dictate what the rate on your car will be and just because you and the next person drive the same car, that doesn't mean your rates will be identical. Furthermore, even if you have the same company and the same car, they will still differ.

For example, two men both won identical 2007 GT3's, are insured through the same company and live right next door to one another. One is 60, licensed since he was 16, married, has a clean record and only drives minimal miles on the weekends. The other is 25, single, just got his license, has one speeding ticket and drives his car 5 miles to work during the week. Statistically, who is the greater risk? Clearly the 25 yr old....but they own the same car, live next door to one another and are insured with the same company, so why are their rates different?

The actuary (insurance bean counter) looks at the imperical data and bases the rates on that insurance class's (group's) risk factor. In this case, the data will support that the accident requency will be higher for a single 25 yr old than a married 60 year old. The mileage will dicate a higher risk factor because it is driven daily, there for exposed to possible damage much more often. Lastly, the 25 yr old already has a minor history of law violation and the data usually shows that with frequency, comes severity. Therefore, his is more likely to be involved in something by virtue of his disregard for the driving laws. (This is insurance logic, not mine). I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Again, if anyone wants specific help, I would be glad to assist. After all, insurance people are in a service industry. If we don't do at least that, we are not doing our jobs....and that, in my opinion, is BS. Sorry, but some people in my industry really **** me off and make it difficult for people to find the good Agents that are still out there.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now....
Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Fooshe
I have seen this time and time again. One person posts a question and then everyone quotes what they are paying; which is misleading. Everyone's rate will be different, some more than others.

As I posted earlier, there are multiple factors that dictate what the rate on your car will be and just because you and the next person drive the same car, that doesn't mean your rates will be identical. Furthermore, even if you have the same company and the same car, they will still differ.

For example, two men both won identical 2007 GT3's, are insured through the same company and live right next door to one another. One is 60, licensed since he was 16, married, has a clean record and only drives minimal miles on the weekends. The other is 25, single, just got his license, has one speeding ticket and drives his car 5 miles to work during the week. Statistically, who is the greater risk? Clearly the 25 yr old....but they own the same car, live next door to one another and are insured with the same company, so why are their rates different?

The actuary (insurance bean counter) looks at the imperical data and bases the rates on that insurance class's (group's) risk factor. In this case, the data will support that the accident requency will be higher for a single 25 yr old than a married 60 year old. The mileage will dicate a higher risk factor because it is driven daily, there for exposed to possible damage much more often. Lastly, the 25 yr old already has a minor history of law violation and the data usually shows that with frequency, comes severity. Therefore, his is more likely to be involved in something by virtue of his disregard for the driving laws. (This is insurance logic, not mine). I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.

Again, if anyone wants specific help, I would be glad to assist. After all, insurance people are in a service industry. If we don't do at least that, we are not doing our jobs....and that, in my opinion, is BS. Sorry, but some people in my industry really **** me off and make it difficult for people to find the good Agents that are still out there.

This guy knows his stuff. I write rating code for a major carrier and it's an absolute mess to try to pick apart and compare sometimes. Soo many variables go into it these days to determin risk of individuals.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Just as an FYI I looked back at my previous policy quotes, and they were in the 1xx and 3xx range for the '07 car, and for the 1st 6 months of the '10 comprehensive/collision, now they are asking for 11xx/17xx its ridiculous!
Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's all consistent with my understanding and experience of buying insurance products.

The finishing piece of the puzzle is to negotiate the rates, draw all risk into picture and assert your case, if you have one to assert. If not, then just bring all the money onto the table.

In other words, get your car policy together with your house/renter, quake, personal, umbrella etc. into the picture.

While some agents have at least browsed the word ethics in the dictionary, there's no distancing from the fact that their business is to sell a product working at the agent of the vendor, not the customer. Some agents may well be good advocates for their customer, but the profitability of the agents' business is in selling premiums at the highest possible price -- while retaining the customer and presenting a competitive offering and so on. It's appealing and it can be lucrative to retain customers, but it's not necessarily lucrative if those customers find the competitor in the market with the better product and the given agent is not able to sell that competitor's product.

I'm involved in an ongoing case where the insurer, 21st Century, exhibits no compunction in using the letter of the law to minimize their costs. It's not illegal, it's just unethical. One should never labor under the misapprehension that the insurance provider will do anything more than is required by the law -- an insured would be wrong to suppose that an insurance seller or agent has any capacity whatsoever to improve their situation when called upon to make a claim.

People attribute anthropomorphic qualities to companies (just look at the nature of insurance advertising ... warm, friendly people ... and Geckos ... used to portray an image of having "a good neighbor" ... utter lies ... marketing ...) These "human" qualities do not exist in companies -- profit is their goal and their responsibility to their investors and owners.

I might sound jaundiced or cynical, but it's nothing of the sort, it's just the business of an industry that's purely a racket with government backing. I'm quite pleased with AllState and I use AAA where AllState doesn't offer insurance products. And the AAA roadside "insurance" service is brilliant -- far better than Porsche or Mercedes. Money well spent.

But don't believe a word of "actuarial" tables -- these are simply statistics (of "lies and damn lies" infamy) carefully crafted and contorted to suit the biases and simple prejudices of insurers. If your house is in a wild fire zone, don't expect to get wild fire insurance. If your car is parked in a secure garage in or about a "bad" neighborhood, you're tarred with the same brush -- as chosen by the insurer, not scientifically tested and proven by an independent and objective analysis process, much less a fair and reasonable assessment of your particular case in terms of risk.

So I put insurance people right up there with lawyers as being amongst the most disgusting professions that have become necessary evils and symptomatic of failures in our society. So the saying goes, "nobody likes a lawyer until they need one." As with democracy; utterly the worst possible solution, except for all the alternatives.

To summarize: insurance is both money well spent and a bold-faced racket. Trust no-one, do your comparison shopping, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
This guy knows his stuff. I write rating code for a major carrier and it's an absolute mess to try to pick apart and compare sometimes. Soo many variables go into it these days to determin risk of individuals.
Wow....a real rate code writer!!! I didn't think you guys are ever allowed out of that dungon they keep you guys in!

Thanks for the confirmation of what I was saying as most people just think it's a smoke screen and BS. In all reality, I am not sure that I blame them because we really don't inform the public of too much, as an industry that is.

By the way, since I doubt you ever hear it, thank you for all the hard work and hours of crap you sift through to make rating possible for us agents. We don't say it much, but the guys who know what you do appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Just as an FYI I looked back at my previous policy quotes, and they were in the 1xx and 3xx range for the '07 car, and for the 1st 6 months of the '10 comprehensive/collision, now they are asking for 11xx/17xx its ridiculous!

The calvary is on the way Larry.....!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USAA will insure dependents(kids and spouses) of military and former military.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Fooshe,

My understanding of Geico is cheaper because they cut out the agents' commission. Is this true? I did use Geico for 6 months or a year and they were quite a bit cheaper than Allstate, for me anyways. But I went back to Allstate because I have been with them for over 20 years and the agent is a friend.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Fooshe
Racer

First and foremost, NOBODY can say they have the lowest rate for every driver out there. It is just impossible and I would challenge anyone who says different to prove it.

That being said, it is important to look at the big picture. Again, there are a host of variables that will effect your rate. In general, Geico is higher than Allstate in Southern California, but not so much in Nor Cal. That is a broad statement and I say that toward the majority of policy holders. Now Allstate may be much cheaper in, say Idaho.....but I really can't say because I don't write there and for that matter, everyone may be cheaper than Geico in Idaho.

I can't say it enough times, each carrier is different from state to state, right down to city to city. That's why I would check with someone who knows in your local area. I specialize in Central to Southern California, so I can only speak from experience in that region.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
USAA will insure dependents(kids and spouses) of military and former military.
100% correct. Not always the best rate, but a good company with competitive rates.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

First and foremost, NOBODY can say they have the lowest rate for every driver out there. It is just impossible and I would challenge anyone who says different to prove it.

That being said, it is important to look at the big picture. Again, there are a host of variables that will effect your rate. In general, Geico is higher than Allstate in Southern California, but not so much in Nor Cal. That is a broad statement and I say that toward the majority of policy holders. Now Allstate may be much cheaper in, say Idaho.....but I really can't say because I don't write there and for that matter, everyone may be cheaper than Geico in Idaho.

I can't say it enough times, each carrier is different from state to state, right down to city to city. That's why I would check with someone who knows in your local area. I specialize in Central to Southern California, so I can only speak from experience in that region.
Many many thanks for all your help in resolving this nonsense!

YOU ROCK - any RLer needing insurance should have a broker like you!

Quick Reply: Ca GT3 auto insurance premiums ... sigh