Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Build/Dealer/Export questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Peter Daily
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build/Dealer/Export questions

I am on a temporary contract in Europe, and was thinking of getting a GT3 RS. Sadly the base prices here are astronomical, so I was looking into buying one in the US and exporting it. However, a US dealer I spoke to mentioned that there is a six month export restriction, plus the car has to be first registered (and sales taxed) in the US.

Can anyone shed some light on:
- what is required to place an order for an RS (available build slot, local address, deposit, etc)
- any export restrictions, and how those could be enforced by a dealership or Porsche
- how long do I have to get an order in before 997 RS production ceases?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Peter, just to clarify you want to order a US spec car and take delivery in Europe, or you want to order a US spec car, take delivery in US and export to CA?

Anyway you need to find a dealer with a build slot, and you will need to place a deposit, the amounts vary from 0-25k depending on the dealer/situation ... also I have not heard recently of anyone finding open build slots.

Dont know about the US/CA export restrictions ... one option you might think about is doing "euro delivery" and extending the insurance (up to six months) before the car has to be exported out of the EU ... that way you would get to drive it over there ...

As for how long do you have, notionally up till June '11 which is around the time the model year switches, however in practice its never clear when the build allocations will be exhausted ... if you are going to do this the sooner you find a build slot and order it the better
Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

There are a few on the used market now.....you can export but it would not be your own spec.
Here is one example:
http://porschedallas.parkplacetexas....426&store=1655
Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Peter Daily
Intermediate

Hi malmasri, that used one you linked looks pretty good... I'd change a few things but is very close to what I'd build. I wonder why the dealer is asking only 6% off msrp for a pre-owned car?

Larry, I'd like to order a US spec car from a US dealer, take delivery in the US, and then export it myself to Europe. It seems buying one used will be easier, but i'd prefer to buy new if possible.

Thanks for the responses guys... I'll try to find a dealer with an allocation, and the willingness to sell to me without having to register in the state... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Peter
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Daily
Hi malmasri, that used one you linked looks pretty good... I'd change a few things but is very close to what I'd build. I wonder why the dealer is asking only 6% off msrp for a pre-owned car?
because dealers are greedy bastards ...

Originally Posted by Peter Daily
Larry, I'd like to order a US spec car from a US dealer, take delivery in the US, and then export it myself to Europe. It seems buying one used will be easier, but i'd prefer to buy new if possible.

Thanks for the responses guys... I'll try to find a dealer with an allocation, and the willingness to sell to me without having to register in the state... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Peter
Peter, my understanding from exporting my '04 GT3 to europe (UK) from the US is as follows, if you have not lived outside the EU for at least 2 years, and owned the car for a minimum of 6 months you will be liable to both importation duty and VAT/GST in the state in which you import it, that could amount to a further 25%) these were the rules in place in the UK at least in '05 and I believe they apply EU wide.

You may temporarily import the vehicle into the EU for up to 6 months, if the car is legally registered in its "home" state/country and operate it under those plates and registration, but I am not sure what other rules may apply in this instance. You may also meet with difficulties insuring the car without it being registered in the country, I did.

Also note that to register a US car in the EU the car must pass certain state compliance rules, in the UK this meant I would have to swap out the headlights and also swap the rear fog lamp from one side to the other, of course this
would not be necessary in a left hand drive state.

Personally, I think you would be better finding a CA dealer who will do Euro delivery, extend the insurance for 6 months and go that way. You will get a US/NA spec car (if you order from a US/NA dealer) it will be registered and
insured in europe and you wont have to **** about with all the paperwork etc
that I did in order to do this ...

Regards

- Larry
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

If you are on a temporary contract in Europe, why don't you just buy one in the US, title and register it here, and ship it over there to use while you're there?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchcars
If you are on a temporary contract in Europe, why don't you just buy one in the US, title and register it here, and ship it over there to use while you're there?
read my posting above, if he does that he has to document that it is a temporarly assignment to avoid the import duty and VAT/GST ... not too hard
but the paperwork is a PITA ...
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

can't you just order a US spec RS, do european delivery and you can keep the car here up to 6 months. how long is your temporary assignment?

i'm a contractor in germany as well but work for Uncle Sam so we get certain perks like US spec car (3% off US MSRP) and no tax.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Peter Daily
Intermediate

Well, my temporary contract will probably be a few years minimum... i may not return to the US for a while.

My employer allows me to import to Europe duty-free, but not will take care of purchase taxes. I was hoping to avoid paying US state taxes on a vehicle that would probably never be driven in the US.

My biggest concern is Porsche's policy to protect dealer territory - ie, requiring a local US address (I have one), and then requiring me to register the car in that state.

I was hoping to find a dealer that could find a way around this, perhaps by noting that I was moving and thus just put a 30day temp plate on it.

Sorry for the long and complicated post. I wish I could make peace with someone else's build and just buy used!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Peter, maybe my dealer can help. I'll PM you contact info.

Quick Reply: Build/Dealer/Export questions