Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TPMS is about worthless at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:24 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TPMS works fine on track (and certainly on street), I have learned to trust it and depend on it. It is 2010 RS so a Gen II system as MJones noted above. Seems to update every couple of seconds. No problems so far (knock on wood)

Sorry to hear yours is acting up, in your shoes I would be very frustrated too.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 09 PDK and its trouble some. I dont know what I have Ver I or VerII.
I know the one in my 997 GT3 wasnt very good.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I also find TPMS pretty useless on the track. I've found it reads as much as 7-8 psi too low when the tires are hot. The most annoying thing is when it flashes a warning that the tires are underinflated when I've let out air to bring the hot pressures to the right range, using a real gauge.
A couple of observations.

1) The tire pressure "Proper Inflation" metric (ie, the one that one can only use while stationary and gives you a reading in +/- PSI) adjusts for the air temperature. So, if you start out with cold tire pressure set at the recommended tire pressure and them heat up the tires, this will still read that the tires are properly inflated. This is very useful for the street when you want to add air to hot tires. But, on the track, when you bleed off air because you want target a hot temperature, this metric will think your tires are underinflated. Therefore, your - 7-8 PSI on this screen means you probably bleed off 7-8 PSI (ie, the TPMS is actually working perfectly)

2) I've also found that that any sudden decrease in tire pressure (read bleeding) will trigger the flat tire warning. That is what the system is designed to warn you off, and sudden decrease in tire pressure.

3) When I'm on the track, I leave the pressure indicator on (the one that gives you actual readings at all four wheels). Mine is off by a fixed number of PSI, but it is consistently off by the same pressure (2 PSI low) cold or hot. I can tell when the tire pressure is getting up to operating range, and also when it is at risk of getting too high.

4) Last time at the track, I did find that when it got hot, the Proper inflation was stuck at -7 on the right rear wheel after I added air at the end of the day. In other words, even though the pressure indicator showed the same pressure for both rear tires, proper inflation indicator showed one was properly inflated and the other was 7 psi under. By morning, it was usually fine.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gen 2;

The new 911 GT3 is provided worldwide as standard with enhanced Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) and permanent monitoring of the air pressure on all four wheels. Compared to the previous model, this new system adopted from the current 911 Carrera models allows faster pressure display after the ignition is switched on, faster and continuous pressure update during the filling process and a faster teaching process for the new set of tires following a wheel change. The new system no longer has individual antennas in the wheel housings, but has trigger transmitters, a central antenna under the floor of the vehicle and enhanced wheel electronics.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like there are a lot of mixed reviews on this system
Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the system (gen 2) require to have sensors in the wheels?

If yes then it's a PITA for guys that swap wheels at the track.

Can the gen 2 TPMS be shut off? I know gen 1 worked best when it was disabled through the dealer computer.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's my track tire pressure monitoring system
Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
i tried hard to keep quiet.

LOL, you too?
my is a magnum gauge, near sighted you know. well, blind almost

i really dont like TPMS. so much so, i killed off my completely.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

A couple of observations.

1) The tire pressure "Proper Inflation" metric (ie, the one that one can only use while stationary and gives you a reading in +/- PSI) adjusts for the air temperature. So, if you start out with cold tire pressure set at the recommended tire pressure and them heat up the tires, this will still read that the tires are properly inflated. This is very useful for the street when you want to add air to hot tires. But, on the track, when you bleed off air because you want target a hot temperature, this metric will think your tires are underinflated. Therefore, your - 7-8 PSI on this screen means you probably bleed off 7-8 PSI (ie, the TPMS is actually working perfectly)

2) I've also found that that any sudden decrease in tire pressure (read bleeding) will trigger the flat tire warning. That is what the system is designed to warn you off, and sudden decrease in tire pressure.

3) When I'm on the track, I leave the pressure indicator on (the one that gives you actual readings at all four wheels). Mine is off by a fixed number of PSI, but it is consistently off by the same pressure (2 PSI low) cold or hot. I can tell when the tire pressure is getting up to operating range, and also when it is at risk of getting too high.

4) Last time at the track, I did find that when it got hot, the Proper inflation was stuck at -7 on the right rear wheel after I added air at the end of the day. In other words, even though the pressure indicator showed the same pressure for both rear tires, proper inflation indicator showed one was properly inflated and the other was 7 psi under. By morning, it was usually fine.
Same here. I still liked having it, even if it works only half the time. The system turned on TC and SC twice, but in both cases I had an actual flat.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Somewhat related topic but I found below article interesting. I guess some will love what's coming and some will hate it more

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...nsor-tech_dept

Hope it's not a repost!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
Yep, me too. I find that when I drop the pressure much below the recommended values the idiot light comes on and tells me I have a flat tire, but my trusty analog gauge tells me I'm just fine. I have to overfill the tire, drive for a bit till the light goes off, then drop it back to nominal and all is well.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wilfred
Somewhat related topic but I found below article interesting. I guess some will love what's coming and some will hate it more

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...nsor-tech_dept

Hope it's not a repost!
That looks interesting!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

The TPMS in my opinion does what it is supposed to. My first experience with it was at the Porsche School in Birmingham before we got our GT2. Just before the start finish line I got a rear flat tire warning. Since I did not want to buy a car that day I slowed down considerable before turn 1. Luckily I did because as I made the turn I could feel the car become what I thought was extremely loose. Long story made short, I probably would have spun the car out had I not paid attention to that warning.

I agree, I run tire pressures from a high end gauge, and pay no attention to the number on the dash, but if I get an error message, I stop to check it out. What do you have to loose. A lap?? Better than your car.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I'm going follow suit behind Mooty and have the dealer turn it off. It's just too annoying.

I was at Sebring yesterday and I had that stupid flat tire warning all day. It's just not worth leaving it on. Not to mention it is not even close to accurate on the track.

Too add to all this I had a major malfunction which threw up another error. I found it somewhat distracting having that and the tire warning going at the same time. Since the TPMS is constantly crying wolf, might as well kill it so I can pay attention to other potential real dash warnings that come up.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Mine is stuck on right now....Longacre gauge works just fine

Having it turned off

Quick Reply: TPMS is about worthless at the track