Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who thinks the GT2 RS is a bit ridiculous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Wouldn't matter at that level...
What "level"? That of the actual costs or the income of the actual owner?

I would expect the maintenance costs of the Porsche to be lower. Especially for a car that is driven.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
On a related note;

As of Friday (9.3.10) There were Forty Seven '10-'11 gt3rs for sale through dealers and private sales. That figure may or may not have changed over the holiday weekend.

I'm told that mine is on the boat !
seriously - sheesh if only PCNA and the dealers were a little more organised, then I would have happily waited for an RS rather than buying my GT3 back in April ... but as usual the future back then looked bleak for any allocations or even cars ... sigh

if only that mex blue RS @ Champion wasn't $170k ...
Old 09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
What "level"? That of the actual costs or the income of the actual owner?

I would expect the maintenance costs of the Porsche to be lower. Especially for a car that is driven.
I meant the "level" of anyone buying $300K+ cars. I dont think maintenance cost would really matter to the buyer, even if it were something like $10K-$20K difference between 2 cars... Most GT3 owners that track their cars spend $6-$10K a year in tires alone...

This past year I was debating on getting GT2 RS, MP4-12C or 458 italia, for next year... but I've come a the conclusion that the money would be better spent on getting a CGT instead, regardless of its superior maintenance cost...

Maybe thats just me?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
seriously - sheesh if only PCNA and the dealers were a little more organised, then I would have happily waited for an RS rather than buying my GT3 back in April ... but as usual the future back then looked bleak for any allocations or even cars ... sigh

if only that mex blue RS @ Champion wasn't $170k ...
Larry,
did u get ur 3 at Pacific?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Price is right considering this is the fastest road 911 of all times a limited edition run and probably the last road Porsche to have the legendary Metzger/GT1 engine.
Agreed!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,485 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
I meant the "level" of anyone buying $300K+ cars. I dont think maintenance cost would really matter to the buyer, even if it were something like $10K-$20K difference between 2 cars... Most GT3 owners that track their cars spend $6-$10K a year in tires alone...
maintenance cost...

Maybe thats just me?
oh, pls dont remind me how much i threw away on tires this year.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, pls dont remind me how much i threw away on tires this year.
Im serious when I say, you were the first person I though of when I wrote that post lol

Probably more than CGT maintenace money
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Mooty...But the smile that resulted? The Bang for Buck?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,485 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Im serious when I say, you were the first person I though of when I wrote that post lol

Probably more than CGT maintenace money
i didn't drive as much this year.
car wasn't ready.
but to finish the year (november), i will have about 11-12k in tires.....
i think i should try 15" tires cheaper
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
It's not overpriced at all compared to its true competition - 458, 599, etc., most of which are slower and costlier.

It remains quite curious to me that Porsche fans automatically assign lower value to our cars because it's "only" a Porsche, 911, etc.; I see no reason why a Ferrari is intrinsically worth more at any given level of performance, given the superior reliability and proven winning design of Porsches.
I have a .2 GT3RS and a 458. I am guessing you have not ridden in a 458 or a 599 or know about the difference in the manufacturing process between ferrari and porsche.

For one, there is probably 10x as much manual labor that goes into building a 458 as will go into the GT2RS, or any 911 for that matter. One is a handcrafted product with hundreds of hours of human labor, the other is a massed produced product built largely by a bunch of robots on a continuously moving assembly line where every single car starts off with the exact same chassis and interior. The amount of time it takes to build the engine alone for the 458, each of which is sand cast from a one-off mold at the on-site foundry and then hand finished, is about the time it takes to build an entire 911 variant. It takes about 3 weeks on average to build a typical f-car.

Secondly, a 458 engine produces 562bhp and has a 9000 rpm redline, normally aspirated. That is 127bhp/L, which is a record, and it didn't happen because some guys figured out how to turn up the boost pressure on the ECU. And there is plenty of torque, 80% of which is available at 3250rpm. Porsche gets 620bhp, with 6750 redline (!?) by doubling the boost on their existing turbo engine. There is nothing impressive or innovative about that. I won't even get into the difference in sound coming from the GT2RS (I have not heard it, but I have heard the GT2).

Third, the electronics in the 458 are 2 generations ahead of what Porsche fits in their cars in terms of both the traction control as well as the active electronic differential (plenty has been said on these forums about the LSD in the RS).

Finally, the aerodynamics. The 458 produces all the downforce and cooling it needs while keeping super clean lines and without any ridiculous looking wings and intakes. It takes a lot more effort to do this.

The 2RS is undoubtedly a very fast car, and it will put up spectacular ring times. But in the real world, where most people drive their cars, I would wager the performance differences would be insignificant, if any.

I love my 3RS, and it is a wonderful car for combining ease of daily use with a very pure driving experience. But when it comes to value for incremental dollars spent, the 3RS is already pushing it compared to a regular 911. And now we are talking about an extra 100k for the 2RS for effectively the same car with an overboosted engine? Porsche is raping its clients and doing nothing to innovate and earn the extra dollar, simple as that. On the other hand, I guarantee you that after a 10 minute drive in a 458, there is a not an enthusiast on the planet that would question whether the car is worth its price, or what the factory did to earn it. That has been true for my p-car loving friends or anyone else.

I hope I don't come off as a porsche hater, because I am not at all. As I said, I love my 3RS. But there are big difference between these two companies and there are plenty of reasons why some products are "intrinsically" worth more, regardless of whether the 0-100 time is the same on paper.

Last edited by superquant; 09-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
For one, there is probably 10x as much manual labor that goes into building a 458 as will go into the GT2RS, or any 911 for that matter. One is a handcrafted product with hundreds of hours of human labor, the other is a massed produced product built largely by a bunch of robots on a continuously moving assembly line where every single car starts off with the exact same chassis and interior. The amount of time it takes to build the engine alone for the 458, each of which is sand cast from a one-off mold, is about the time it takes to build an entire 911 variant.
Yeah, and my girlfriend uses shampoo that's made from pure tibetan yak tears and imported turkish unfertilized guava plant extract. I have no doubt that those rare ingredients contribute significantly to its cost but I've always been skeptical that they contribute to a better hair-washing experience than my $1.99 bottle of Prell.

I hope I don't come off as a porsche hater, because I am not at all. As I said, I love my 3RS. But there are big difference between these two companies and there are plenty of reasons why some products are "intrinsically" worth more, regardless of whether the 0-100 time is the same on paper.
I hope I don't come off as a ferrari hater, because I am not at all. I think the 458 is a staggering car and if I had the wallet and garage space to buy one I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just want to push back mildly on your use of the word "intrinsic" because in the Warren Buffet sense of the word you might have a tough time making the case that a sand-cast, one-off molded engine block and hand assembly actually add to the intrinsic value of a car. There is no debate that they add to the production cost and consequently the MSRP.

The two cars are different tools for different fools and at the end of the day I'm glad we (as buyers) have the options we do.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Nugget
Yeah, and my girlfriend uses shampoo that's made from pure tibetan yak tears and imported turkish unfertilized guava plant extract. I have no doubt that those rare ingredients contribute significantly to its cost but I've always been skeptical that they contribute to a better hair-washing experience than my $1.99 bottle of Prell.
This post is useless without pictures.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget

I hope I don't come off as a ferrari hater, because I am not at all. I think the 458 is a staggering car and if I had the wallet and garage space to buy one I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just want to push back mildly on your use of the word "intrinsic" because in the Warren Buffet sense of the word you might have a tough time making the case that a sand-cast, one-off molded engine block and hand assembly actually add to the intrinsic value of a car. There is no debate that they add to the production cost and consequently the MSRP.

The two cars are different tools for different fools and at the end of the day I'm glad we (as buyers) have the options we do.
You make good points - I was not making the case that their process makes anything better on an absolute basis per se, but simply that I know why the car is so expensive. On the other hand, no one can explain why the GT2RS is so expensive. My point is that porsche did almost nothing to earn the extra money they are asking for the 2RS MSRP compared to their other 911 models, to the OP's question. As a potential buyer, that is a major turn off.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
This post is useless without pictures.

There she is.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

^Hair looks good!

Quick Reply: Who thinks the GT2 RS is a bit ridiculous?