carbon deposit or loose compression

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
gorichville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon deposit or loose compression

Hi
I would like to ask those who got their cars brand new and used them to date to compare engine wear and tear. My odo is 6300 miles to date.

Yesterday after a hour of waiting stuck in the traffic infront of the express way tollbooth in my anger, I rev the gas pedal for several minutes to the max (8200). I noticed that the tightness of the engine was gone and the shifting of the car was easier. The engine's performance was more smooth however I could not tell if the horsepower has gone down by 5-7 percent. Now I can floor down the gas pedal unlike before I'd shift at 7500 and now at 8000/ Why is it that the shifting of the gear is easier....what is the connection of the easy gear shift and the engine smoothness at high rev range. Does it mean I lost some horsepower along the way... Can anyone pls ans my query....thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:38 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably just the car breaking in. Usually, the shifting loosens up a bit and the car revs more freely. You actually probably have slightly more power. When you look at car mag long term tests, frequently the cars perform better at the end than at the beginning.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

red line revving in a traffic jam - sweet

Quick Reply: carbon deposit or loose compression