Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track insurance in MA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The coverage on the MetLife policy falls under the regular comprehensive coverage, so there is no extra charge for coverage while I'm on the track, other than what you pay for normal comprehensive. They were concerned about two things: (1) whether there was racing involved and (2) whether I was getting paid (!) for my driving. I pointed them to the DE mission statement on the PCA-NCR Web site (http://www.ncr-pca.org/club-activiti...sion-statement) as a description of what DE is about, and that convinced them there was no racing involved.

For those of you who had specific questions, I'll PM you and give you the name and contact info for the MetLife representative I worked with.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
The coverage on the MetLife policy falls under the regular comprehensive coverage, so there is no extra charge for coverage while I'm on the track, other than what you pay for normal comprehensive. They were concerned about two things: (1) whether there was racing involved and (2) whether I was getting paid (!) for my driving. I pointed them to the DE mission statement on the PCA-NCR Web site (http://www.ncr-pca.org/club-activiti...sion-statement) as a description of what DE is about, and that convinced them there was no racing involved.

For those of you who had specific questions, I'll PM you and give you the name and contact info for the MetLife representative I worked with.
Thanks! I have received PM and I will contact that agent, what you say is almost too good to be true considering how much money such 'track' insurance usually costs.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 952 Posts

Jake: Thanks for the info. I've reached out to them.

Out of curiosity, did you ask if they'd ever paid a claim for a track incident? I'm just wondering how much actual claims experience they have in this arena and whether the coverage will suddenly change if they get flooded with requests for coverage and claims start ramping up.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Jake: Thanks for the info. I've reached out to them.

Out of curiosity, did you ask if they'd ever paid a claim for a track incident? I'm just wondering how much actual claims experience they have in this arena and whether the coverage will suddenly change if they get flooded with requests for coverage and claims start ramping up.
Actually I did not ask them that question, but that's a good idea. Probably should have thought of that before. You never know for sure until you have to make a claim. If you contact them again, ask the question and let me know the response.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Awaiting a call back from the agent. Will post any feedback that I get. Thx.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The language in the black and white of the policy is probably more critical than what they will tell you, or predict. It sounds just like the old days. If the "as long as not racing" paraphrase is there, or timing, etc., your worst case scenario is legal fees to get them to hold to it in the event of a DE claim.

Many calling them might hasten Met Life's doing what other co's have already done. Perhaps calling a lawyer to review the language, if you want an assurance?

...I'm not a lawyer, FWIW
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Actually I did not ask them that question, but that's a good idea. Probably should have thought of that before. You never know for sure until you have to make a claim. If you contact them again, ask the question and let me know the response.
Transferred coverage last week. They seem pretty clear on the track thing. Let's hope we never have to test. Thanks for the lead!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I contacted them for Florida.....they said they will not cover a DE
Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Here is the text of the exclusion that counts in my policy:

Any vehicle, located inside a facility
designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

It might be OK. After all we are not involved in organized racing or speed contests. Right?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I contacted them for Florida.....they said they will not cover a DE
Like Jake951, I had them run it pretty far up the chain and got enough in writing that I feel comfortable. Not sure why Florida would be different but I'm not an insurance expert.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I went up the food chain with Amica and they said "NO".
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go guys. Best deal in Mass for track insurance. Morgan does 10, 15 and 20 event packages. He insures by event, not days. But you have to buy the 10 events as a minimum. No single event insurance. 15 events is the best deal. Small bump up from 10. He also insures Motorclub memberships. For example, I'm a member of Monticello and my open track days there count as a DE as far as insurance.

Morgan is a great guy with a lot of experience in Motorsports. He also insures just about anything else you own too. My collector cars are treated as jewelry on my homeowners.

Contact Info:
Mr. Morgan W. Duffy, CIC, LIA
President
Hayden Wood Insurance Agency, Inc.
HWI Motorsports (Hayden Wood Insurance Motorsports Division)
30 Turnpike Road • Suite 5 • Southborough • Massachusetts • 01772
': (508)229-8700 • 7: (508)229-8702
*: morgan@haydenwood.com • *: morgan@hwimotorsports.com

Last edited by BBTurbo; 10-16-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Morgan does MA only?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
For example, I'm a member of Monticello and my open track days there count as a DE as far as insurance.
You live in MA and are a member of Monticello? Do you keep a car there? It was a hump driving down there from Boston.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Morgan does MA only?
I'm sure he can. He covers a lot of Monticello members and they are mostly NY, NJ, CT. He uses Chartis as the underwriter.

Quick Reply: Track insurance in MA?