Luke Hines scary ALMS crash!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Luke Hines scary ALMS crash!

If you have not seen Luke Hines' recent crash at Mosport then grab some TUMS and get ready to watch this horrible crash. Luke was the GTC leader when he got side swiped by Jonny Coocker's LMPC into the guard rail. Luke's GT3 Cup car took out 60 yards of guard rail and over 20 posts!! He is one lucky guy to be alive thanks to alot of luck and safety design of the Cup car ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MCjAARTLc

Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's simply ugly, terrible place to be nudged off the track. Lucky to get out in one piece.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

There would be some fists flying later, if that had happened to me !
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Wow, very ugly. He's lucky to walk away.
Maybe the car will be at Orbit when I go there next week to pick up stuff..
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

well i watched live and saw the interview.
johnny cocker: that's a racing incident. i did see him......
luke hines: there's absolutely no need for this to happen..... if i was collected, i may not be here....
yeah, i am sure there's were some "chat" b/n them.
it was scary....
he could have spun off the rail down the hill.
or he could have been hit by the 10+ cars that went by him....
Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
well i watched live and saw the interview.
johnny cocker: that's a racing incident. i did see him......
luke hines: there's absolutely no need for this to happen..... if i was collected, i may not be here....
yeah, i am sure there's were some "chat" b/n them.
it was scary....
he could have spun off the rail down the hill.
or he could have been hit by the 10+ cars that went by him....
The same thing could happen in a DE between street cars. The outcome would certainly be different. The thing being, it started from a simple case of two drivers making mistakes at the same time -- having multiple classes on the track at once brings the same situation over and over. To remove car and driver specifics from the situation: the driver of the slower car class had no doubt been watching his mirrors all race long with the (much) faster class cars going by at a fierce clip. The faster class driver should have been much more controlled, but in the closing laps, aggression took over and judgement was poor to say the least.

As for the outcome, a combination of adequate engineering in the car and in the track safety preparations. Again, the response time and effectiveness of track safety workers was far from impressive and really not even adequate. I can't say local tracks like Laguna or Sears would have been as safe. The driver was very luck that the car returned to the track surface and none of the traffic came into the event -- it was nice of the commentators to say the driver was still "driving" the car, but with the nose off and only two wheels still attached to the car, it was a passenger ride from the instant of contact. If one considers the "end over" rolls that a 911 can easily perform at those speeds (if all the energy had not been taken out by the guard rail) then the car and driver could well have been far off track and down the hill.

I think the lesson here for 997 drivers is to be very careful about what you risk letting near the front of your car at speed. A nudge at the front is catastrophic in most cases while even a big hit to the back of the car is met with the full mass and mechanical traction of the 911 to resist being steered off into the scenery at 100+ mph. During DE events, I see drivers willing to bring the front of the car far too close to other cars, especially at speed along the straights in this exact same situation. I wonder if it might help the psychology of DE attendees if the driver's meeting included a ten minute video recapping these basic crash scenarios showing the consequences of seemingly unremarkable car to car contact.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, I saw this when i was watching the race. It could been far worse if he was collected. He was lucky
Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
It could been far worse if he was collected. He was lucky
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm unfamiliar with the term in this context.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm unfamiliar with the term in this context.
Collected = hit
Lucky = he wasn't hit by cars behind him and he's not dead
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The same thing could happen in a DE between street cars. The outcome would certainly be different. The thing being, it started from a simple case of two drivers making mistakes at the same time -- having multiple classes on the track at once brings the same situation over and over. To remove car and driver specifics from the situation: the driver of the slower car class had no doubt been watching his mirrors all race long with the (much) faster class cars going by at a fierce clip. The faster class driver should have been much more controlled, but in the closing laps, aggression took over and judgement was poor to say the least.

As for the outcome, a combination of adequate engineering in the car and in the track safety preparations. Again, the response time and effectiveness of track safety workers was far from impressive and really not even adequate. I can't say local tracks like Laguna or Sears would have been as safe. The driver was very luck that the car returned to the track surface and none of the traffic came into the event -- it was nice of the commentators to say the driver was still "driving" the car, but with the nose off and only two wheels still attached to the car, it was a passenger ride from the instant of contact. If one considers the "end over" rolls that a 911 can easily perform at those speeds (if all the energy had not been taken out by the guard rail) then the car and driver could well have been far off track and down the hill.

I think the lesson here for 997 drivers is to be very careful about what you risk letting near the front of your car at speed. A nudge at the front is catastrophic in most cases while even a big hit to the back of the car is met with the full mass and mechanical traction of the 911 to resist being steered off into the scenery at 100+ mph. During DE events, I see drivers willing to bring the front of the car far too close to other cars, especially at speed along the straights in this exact same situation. I wonder if it might help the psychology of DE attendees if the driver's meeting included a ten minute video recapping these basic crash scenarios showing the consequences of seemingly unremarkable car to car contact.
Don't see it as two drivers making mistakes, just one

Coming up the hill the Cup gave way and moved to his left, the LMP just tried to shoot the gap on power. The Cup did what he should have done and surrendered the apex to the faster vehicles he doesn't have to drive off the track to make room, Cocker misjudged and Hines paid for it.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i was right there at that Flag Stand when it happend, it was Unreal to comprehend what just happend and very Unreal to see Luke jump out the car all normal...

PS: Advice, never "Walk" Mosport, specially the Back Straight. It took me 3 hours to walk the whole track in 40c Heat
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Collected = hit
Lucky = he wasn't hit by cars behind him and he's not dead
Yea, exactly.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:43 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Don't see it as two drivers making mistakes, just one

Coming up the hill the Cup gave way and moved to his left, the LMP just tried to shoot the gap on power. The Cup did what he should have done and surrendered the apex to the faster vehicles he doesn't have to drive off the track to make room, Cocker misjudged and Hines paid for it.
agreed. basic rule of thumb: slower car maintains line (off line if poss) and passing car makes adjustments as indicated. Verdict : Hines not guilty of anything.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

He also slipped out of his shoulder belts during the accident and then bounced off the steering wheel!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
i was right there at that Flag Stand when it happend, it was Unreal to comprehend what just happend and very Unreal to see Luke jump out the car all normal...
Originally Posted by Z06
He also slipped out of his shoulder belts during the accident and then bounced off the steering wheel!
Luke is lucky with this crash. He could easily be "collected" with a crash like that. It is hard to control your car when you get clipped while going straight let along taking a turn at speed where any slight nudge at either front or rear equal complete loss of traction and off you go to the wall. LMPC cars have much higher down force and they can get knock around at high speed turns and still manage to survive ... not the case of GT cars. It is more dangerous to race a GT than LMPC IMHO.

Here is another example with Corvette at this year's 24 hours of Le Mans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dED4Z...eature=related

Anthony Davidson won the biggest jerk award with this interview. I cheered when his Peugeot took a dump later in the race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU70l...eature=related

Quick Reply: Luke Hines scary ALMS crash!