Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Running a GT3 without the front splitter...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Running a GT3 without the front splitter...?

Hey all -

Just bought a white 07 GT3 and I'm having a pretty fun time driving it around... unfortunately the front splitter is just TOO damn low for street driving around here in west LA... the splitter fell off during some cornering and driving around - had to run out into the street during a red light to grab it! Kind of embarassing...

Anyone, does anyone else run this way without a splitter, and is this safe for freeway speeds < 100 mph as far as aero is concerned?

I'm also concerned about scraping things down there - I am willing to deal with a little depreciation/collateral damage since the car is something I intend to drive and drive often, but is there anything that can get permanently damaged down there if I scrape without the splitter installed?

Thanks,
chiffonade
Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

how did you knock off the splitter while cornering? did you jump a curb? I drove the exact same car in LA for 2 years and only occasionally scrape the lip on a driveway or doing the crab maneuver up steep speed bumps. the splitter is cheap. just replace once its scraped up pretty good. keep the messed up one for track where it gets pelted by everything spit up from leading cars running gummy tires.

running without it on the street you then risk the chance of scraping the front bumper cover, it would be more expensive repairing that versus just buying another cheap plastic splitter. also, the lip that holds the splitter on is most exposed and damaging those could affect being able to even place a replacement splitter on requiring you to have to buy a new bumper cover.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Well, it sort of just fell off as I was driving (in a straight line the exact moment it fell off)... I think I'll give it another go, I think the dealer installed a new one when I bought my car and the technician may have forgotten to fasten it or something like that.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably end up getting this fixed.

Oh, and... did I end up with your car?!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

its press fit into the bumper and has one screw on each side. would have been noticeable if it was installed in such a way that it would just fall off while driving straight! make sure the tabs that hold it in place are in tact. I think not since my 997.1 has found a new owner here in Germany. We took both cars to Leipzig together and had a blast. enjoy the car! take her to the track. buttonwillow is fun and nearby.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by chiffonade
Hey all -

Just bought a white 07 GT3 and I'm having a pretty fun time driving it around... unfortunately the front splitter is just TOO damn low for street driving around here in west LA... the splitter fell off during some cornering and driving around - had to run out into the street during a red light to grab it! Kind of embarassing...

Anyone, does anyone else run this way without a splitter, and is this safe for freeway speeds < 100 mph as far as aero is concerned?

I'm also concerned about scraping things down there - I am willing to deal with a little depreciation/collateral damage since the car is something I intend to drive and drive often, but is there anything that can get permanently damaged down there if I scrape without the splitter installed?

Thanks,
chiffonade
buy the cheaper cup front splitters ... while they are lower they are cheaper ... its cheaper to replace these than it would be to repaint the bottom of the front bumper ...

you could also get the car corner balanced with the ride height set higher too ...

or install the bilstein front lift kit ...
Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,624 Likes on 2,310 Posts

The front lip is not too low for LA. my sits lower than factory, i have no prob in E LA, Orange County, Westwood, Downtown LA.

your spoiler was not installed right if it fell off on straight line. the spoiler is sort of hooked on a "channel" and it is such that it gets tighter if the car is moving forward, if you scrape it backing up the car, it may fall off even if the two screws are one. but going forward, it should NEVER come off. take the lip off and get under the bumper to see how the lip is hooked on then you will understand. you can drive the car into a wall, the bumper will come off, the lip wont, if you hit it straight on.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it sort of just fell off as I was driving (in a straight line the exact moment it fell off)... I think I'll give it another go, I think the dealer installed a new one when I bought my car and the technician may have forgotten to fasten it or something like that.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably end up getting this fixed.

Oh, and... did I end up with your car?!

Hell just blame it on George Bush, everyone blame him for everything else.

-Troy

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
buy the cheaper cup front splitters ... while they are lower they are cheaper ... its cheaper to replace these than it would be to repaint the bottom of the front bumper ...

you could also get the car corner balanced with the ride height set higher too ...

or install the bilstein front lift kit ...
+1 on the lift kit, most useful mod I did the past year.

John
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

This is real life experience albeit in a 996 GT3. I drove without the front splitter. The 996 one was really flimsy. I put it on at the track, took it off otherwise. I was traveling between here and Edwards AFB and decided to hit 160 and i got hit by a gust off the right fender. Almost lost it. I had to stop and pull over.
I was so shaken. Under 100, probably pretty safe.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
This is real life experience albeit in a 996 GT3. I drove without the front splitter. The 996 one was really flimsy. I put it on at the track, took it off otherwise. I was traveling between here and Edwards AFB and decided to hit 160 and i got hit by a gust off the right fender. Almost lost it. I had to stop and pull over.
I was so shaken. Under 100, probably pretty safe.
the 996 cup front splitter was MUCH better/stiffer ...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,624 Likes on 2,310 Posts

must not have daylight b/n bmper and lip.
else.....
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
must not have daylight b/n bmper and lip.
else.....
good point, usually sealed via two-sided tape as I recall
Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
the 996 cup front splitter was MUCH better/stiffer ...
So it is true stiffer IS better. good to have it confirmed Mr. Blue.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Thanks for all the input guys. I got on my hands and knees at lunch today and pressed the badly scuffed splitter back on after examining it. Seems like it caught on something pretty aggressively and one side tore out from the screw that was holding it on. Then I *think* what happened was it got caught under the wheel so it was "pulled" off by the car running over it.

A few of the tabs were bent but other than that it went back on fine. The thing is scraped up but the body of the car is perfectly fine - even the screws are still in. Looks like the splitter did its job exactly as designed. I'll probably get a new one when I'm getting my oil changed.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I got on my hands and knees at lunch today and pressed the badly scuffed splitter back on after examining it. Seems like it caught on something pretty aggressively and one side tore out from the screw that was holding it on. Then I *think* what happened was it got caught under the wheel so it was "pulled" off by the car running over it.

A few of the tabs were bent but other than that it went back on fine. The thing is scraped up but the body of the car is perfectly fine - even the screws are still in. Looks like the splitter did its job exactly as designed. I'll probably get a new one when I'm getting my oil changed.

Thanks!
get the cup splitter, its stronger and cheaper...

Quick Reply: Running a GT3 without the front splitter...?