OT: 1 million dollar speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts
Default OT: 1 million dollar speeding ticket

In this forum I see lately a lot of discussion about Euro delivery and Euro vacation.
So guys when passing Switzerland please behave yourselves.

John

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ne-switzerland
Old 08-13-2010, 01:57 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only money...

I however obey the speed limits so it's never an issue for me. The European's have discovered the revenue stream invented by the U.S. to fund local municipalities...
Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

"We have no record of anyone being caught travelling faster in the country," said a police spokesman.
The driver was captured travelling at close to 300kph (186mph) during at least one stage of his journey.
But he evaded being zapped by a number of radars simply because he was driving too fast and they were incapable of clocking speeds beyond 200kph (125mph).
He was caught by a speed camera on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne on Friday.
A new generation of radar machines finally clocked him travelling at close to 186mph.
Sounds like a load of crap to me. I got flashed many times at 200+ maybe not in Switserland, but definately in France, Belgium and Holland.
The guy probably had Swedisch plates, so it is too hard to collect unless the police stops the car.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i don't get it. he is from sweden and speeding in ch. he had to drive through germany to get there. 40% of the autobahn is unlimited speed legally. why didn't he just do like the rest of us and try it out here where its legal. sounds like a moron asking for it.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yes, but how do they charge him for "The man is now facing the highest possible penalty of 300 days of fines at £2,166 a day – a total of £650,000"

is that a Swiss thing?
Also, maybe it was 3AM and no traffic.. Still illigal, but I can understand.

The police wants to make scaring headlines, he won't actually pay that.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Originally Posted by carrering
i don't get it. he is from sweden and speeding in ch. he had to drive through germany to get there. 40% of the autobahn is unlimited speed legally. why didn't he just do like the rest of us and try it out here where its legal. sounds like a moron asking for it.
My thoughts exactly! Though I have to admit the highways in Switzerland are very tempting. As Clarkson said, God make a mistake when he gave Switzerland those roads, speaking of the mountain roads mostly.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

It's a pile of disinformation parroted by lazy journalists.

The guy got flashed by a fixed speed camera at 290 km/h on the A12 highway in Düdingen, between Bern and Fribourg. He was flat out in a black SLS bearing swedish registration plates, it's a straight downhill stretch. He got caught later in Canton de Vaud by the police, license and car confiscated. Most credible theory place him as part of a group of gipsies (sorry I don't know any other word in english) who were staying in Nyon (midway between Lausanne and Geneva) that week. I don't know that this has been established as a fact though.

The 1m CHF fine is pure speculation.
In Switzerland and in a general context without any relationship to traffic-related offenses, the highest fines that can be slapped are days of jail converted into money. For minor crimes and to keep prisons available for serious criminals, a jail sentence can be converted to a fine based on the jail time sentence and your daily earnings. Under that system, the theoretical maximum fine that could be judged is around 300 days at 3000 CHF per day, assuming that your revenues amount to that much. Beyond, you have to serve time.

Certain jurisdictions have been trending towards the case that extreme speeding comes down to willful endangerement of other people's lives, not just breaking road code. A string of severe accidents, some of which caused by very wealthy younssters in supercars (Veyron, LP640 and such) has fueled that fire. I don't know of any extreme speeding offense where jailtime-converted-to-fine was judged, and amounts of that order of magnitude (or remotely close) sentenced.

It is pure distortion. I think that the guy will be fined 10-20K, will struggle to recover his SLS, and will not drive again legally in Switzerland this decade or the next.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He got lucky to pay the fine be it 1 millon or 100K instead of 6 feet under or worst kill a family that happen to be in his way
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ze_shark

The guy got flashed by a fixed speed camera at 290 km/h on the A12 highway in Düdingen, between Bern and Fribourg. He was flat out in a black SLS bearing swedish registration plates, it's a straight downhill stretch. He got caught later in Canton de Vaud by the police, license and car confiscated. Most credible theory place him as part of a group of gipsies (sorry I don't know any other word in english) who were staying in Nyon (midway between Lausanne and Geneva) that week. I don't know that this has been established as a fact though.

The 1m CHF fine is pure speculation.
In Switzerland and in a general context without any relationship to traffic-related offenses, the highest fines that can be slapped are days of jail converted into money. For minor crimes and to keep prisons available for serious criminals, a jail sentence can be converted to a fine based on the jail time sentence and your daily earnings. Under that system, the theoretical maximum fine that could be judged is around 300 days at 3000 CHF per day, assuming that your revenues amount to that much. Beyond, you have to serve time.

Certain jurisdictions have been trending towards the case that extreme speeding comes down to willful endangerement of other people's lives, not just breaking road code. A string of severe accidents, some of which caused by very wealthy younssters in supercars (Veyron, LP640 and such) has fueled that fire. I don't know of any extreme speeding offense where jailtime-converted-to-fine was judged, and amounts of that order of magnitude (or remotely close) sentenced.

It is pure distortion. I think that the guy will be fined 10-20K, will struggle to recover his SLS, and will not drive again legally in Switzerland this decade or the next.
What the guardian published disinformation. Thats not possible all newspapers publish only the truth.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ze_shark

At the end of the day, it's still a pretty big fine for them to take your car.

I remember when a guy in a 993 Turbo and another in a 360 were nailed for speeding in France with them having to buy their cars back at auction.

That would also hurt!!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bureaucrats should not be allowed to collect fines of that size unless the crime is theft of an equal amount.

Quick Reply: OT: 1 million dollar speeding ticket