Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lets talk European Vacation and Porsche Factory...>

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
serpico1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my 9/1 build should be on time?..>

Does anyone know the exact schedule of when it closes?
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
actually all 911's are semi-hand-built. the only robot that touches a 911 is the one that puts the front/rear glass on the car. for the case of RoW RS, the lexan rear window is also placed in manually.
exactly Jim! ... well said.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
prg
Pro

+1 for the Mercedes museum. 8 levels. 3 wide banked turn of mercedes silver arrows. Very much worth the trip.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prg
+1 for the Mercedes museum. 8 levels. 3 wide banked turn of mercedes silver arrows. Very much worth the trip.
I have heard the BMW museum is also worth a visit.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
helmutg
Track Day

If you have a choice in the matter, I can highly recommend Tillman Hancke as your delivery liason for factory pick-up. I picked up my GT3RS at the end of June and Tillman had set up a semi-private factory tour for my wife and I and one couple from the UK also picking up a GT3RS and then also had another one of the Porsche folks take my two boys on a quick tour (they can't do the factory tour because of age) around the delivery area including the 'Exclusive' workshop where they got to see cars being customized per spec. Tillman also stayed in email contact with me throughout the vacation to facilitate the factory return.

The included lunch in the Kantina and the Museum tour were great as well -- you'll enjoy the day for sure including simple things like the factory pickup parking lot where we parked next to a 911 Sport Classic.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I have heard the BMW museum is also worth a visit.
I didn't go to Munich to see it. The beauty of beauty of the factory delivery vacation is once you have your Porsche, it's like having a private plane. No place is really that far away on the autobahn and getting there is 3/4 of the fun. We averaged 100-120 mph on the way from Stuttgart to Fussen with blasts to 150+. Hit 180 (very briefly ) on A7 south of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Got to love a country that makes this safe and legal! This vacation was second only to heliski week for adrenaline/scenery ratio!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just visited the Porsche Museum today, but could not schedule a factory tour, which is not available until September 6. You can reach them at:
Tel: +49-(0)711-911-25384
Fax: +49-(0)711-911-25111
E-Mail: factorytours@porsche.de

The Museum is phenomenal but Christophorus was closed

Across the street in the showroom, they had a stunning black GT3 with PCCB, GT2 seats, roll cage and an RS sterring wheel, sitting next to a grey/red GT3RS and not far from a Sport Classic (probably not selling as fast as they were hoping!).
Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

^^^^ Porsche "candy stores" are nice, aren't they?

Enjoy the journey!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM
otisdog
Pro

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
and not far from a Sport Classic (probably not selling as fast as they were hoping!).
They claimed that they were all sold soon after they were announced...
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The new Porsches are welded by robots to produce the bodies in white since 1998 on-ward. I was at the factory in 1986, 1992, 1997 when taking euro delivery of 3 911's. Fantastic time driving from Stuttgart to Nice, French Riviera (1987 Carrera 3.2), around Germany's black forest and to Lake Titisee, Lake Constantine, 1992 in RS America, finally in my 1998 C2S to Spa Franco-Champ and Nurburgring (2 slow laps at 10 German marks a piece). Factory tours were daily until 1997 when they were under the efficiency schedule of Mr. Wiederking. Nowadays you can schedule visits to Liebzig where the Cayennes and Carrera GT's were assembled and go for test drives at their track (off-road and paved) there.

The Mercedes Factory tour and museum in Singel was interesting but pales in comparison to our favorite marque. I remember the Mercedes tour guide explaining that their painting process involves about 12 separate steps as I was thinking that Porsches (at least in the olden days) uses about 30+ steps on zinc coated steel for their bodies in white after 1976.

You should take lots of photos and post after you get back.

Best of luck and congratulations on your new GT3.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tshih
The new Porsches are welded by robots to produce the bodies in white since 1998 on-ward. I was at the factory in 1986, 1992, 1997 when taking euro delivery of 3 911's. Fantastic time driving from Stuttgart to Nice, French Riviera (1987 Carrera 3.2), around Germany's black forest and to Lake Titisee, Lake Constantine, 1992 in RS America, finally in my 1998 C2S to Spa Franco-Champ and Nurburgring (2 slow laps at 10 German marks a piece). Factory tours were daily until 1997 when they were under the efficiency schedule of Mr. Wiederking. Nowadays you can schedule visits to Liebzig where the Cayennes and Carrera GT's were assembled and go for test drives at their track (off-road and paved) there.

The Mercedes Factory tour and museum in Singel was interesting but pales in comparison to our favorite marque. I remember the Mercedes tour guide explaining that their painting process involves about 12 separate steps as I was thinking that Porsches (at least in the olden days) uses about 30+ steps on zinc coated steel for their bodies in white after 1976.

You should take lots of photos and post after you get back.

Best of luck and congratulations on your new GT3.
Dont know if they are also painted by robot now or not, I expect that they are, as jim pointed out, on the production line itself there is only one robot that inserts the f/r glass, everything else is hand installed/assembled, as are the engines and the upolstery as well ...

pretty cool tour of the factory well worth it
Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
IAortho
Instructor

There was a great show on tv featuring the Porsche factory called "Ultimate Factories." Maybe on Speed channel? Heard about it on Rennlist. Anyway, they showed the 911's going across the covered bridge on an assembly line to the paint station. The bodies are literally dipped into the zinc/galvanic solution (a large pool), and then go off to be painted by two painters.

Interestingly, the primer comes in 4 different colors and is chosen based on the future color of the car! That, in my book, is called "going the extra mile."
Old 10-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Another vote for Tillman! He's a super cool dude.

Originally Posted by helmutg
If you have a choice in the matter, I can highly recommend Tillman Hancke as your delivery liason for factory pick-up. I picked up my GT3RS at the end of June and Tillman had set up a semi-private factory tour for my wife and I and one couple from the UK also picking up a GT3RS and then also had another one of the Porsche folks take my two boys on a quick tour (they can't do the factory tour because of age) around the delivery area including the 'Exclusive' workshop where they got to see cars being customized per spec. Tillman also stayed in email contact with me throughout the vacation to facilitate the factory return.

The included lunch in the Kantina and the Museum tour were great as well -- you'll enjoy the day for sure including simple things like the factory pickup parking lot where we parked next to a 911 Sport Classic.

Quick Reply: Lets talk European Vacation and Porsche Factory...>