Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 RS -- Bilstein Damptronics -- feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am sure sharkwerk can do something for you?
i walk faster than 25mph.
long long is the thing? i want to invite myself there. never been on yachts/boats, other than princess cruise....

2nd thought. NO.
i fear i end up liking it....
John: If you are ever in Seattel you are more than welcome to come aboard. It is 40 feet, 17,500 pounds twin 454s.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2.25" spring is the most readily available spring in the US... That is why we use this and there are a tremendous amount of rates available to the client.

MVEZ makes out some good points but when you add up all of the costs of our system(including bars) in equates to the sum of the parts.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,672 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
John: If you are ever in Seattel you are more than welcome to come aboard. It is 40 feet, 17,500 pounds twin 454s.
you should sail it down to SF
plenty water here
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
mvez - do you know what spring rates were used on the car for 24 hours of n-ring?
I don't recall the rates, but they probably would have been quite high because the car was on full race slicks, not Hoosier R6's. Easiest way would be to simply tweet or email Chris Harris from EVO magazine, he drove it and would probably know.

I like going with changes in rate of atleast 100#, because I find it hard to really detect changes in handling for rate changes any smaller than that. I like TPC's approach, and it's a great turn-key package, the only thing I don't like is that you have to send them your car to get it done. Perhaps a change in front rate at first (something 100-200# stiffer, linear) and then go from there. I can't remember if the stock rear springs are linear on the .1 RS/GT3, but if they aren't, I would change them to linear if your car sees decent track time. Or perhaps increase the front rate by 200# and the rear by 100#. I personally find the tinkering of setups fun, and helps me fully understand the effects of the changes I make, but I guess that's the engineer in me, and I realize not everyone has the time, nor the patience for these things. I'm just trying to save people some hard earned dough....hell, the consumables are already expensive enough.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mvez, I think we had the same discussion a few months ago on 6speed. Changing spring rates is exactly what I'm planning on doing. But I would still love to try a set of B16's. I just know that I would personally not have the patience to dial in 3 way Motons, JRZ's or KW's. I'm just as lazy with my tire temps and pressures. I bleed the first day, but rarely check them again on the second day except first session, and maybe if the car feels really strange.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Mvez, I think we had the same discussion a few months ago on 6speed. Changing spring rates is exactly what I'm planning on doing. But I would still love to try a set of B16's. I just know that I would personally not have the patience to dial in 3 way Motons, JRZ's or KW's. I'm just as lazy with my tire temps and pressures. I bleed the first day, but rarely check them again on the second day except first session, and maybe if the car feels really strange.
+1 KISS

Would be interested on spring rates as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
+1 KISS

Would be interested on spring rates as well.
+2
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Tire pressures have a pretty dramatic effect on rate. I check before every session, and go out with the same cold pressure every time unless I need to make a balance change. You'd be suprised how big a difference one side can be just from the sun/shade. 1 pound can make a pretty big difference, because it effectively raises or lowers the spring rate on that end/side. If you don't check your tire pressures, and make them consistent, it would somewhat be like going out on track with 4 different spring rates at each corner.

I personally don't see the upside of going from stock to the B16's. Sharkwerks agrees from previous posts as well. The people who have them notice the stiffer spring rate difference up front, and the HUGE improvement on track of using a linear rear spring rate, what they DO NOT notice is the rebound/compression change (and honestly, that paramter is virtually unmeasurable by the driver because they can't technically adjust the shocks, so all you can do is "assume" it's better). That's why I would much rather have a single adjustable shock...rebound control is really all any of us truthfully need. Sure, compression control is nice, but we don't really need it for DE's. Every B16 user will say it's better simply because they feel the more consistent handling and better handling from the linear springs and the higher front spring rate.

Here are some specs on the B16, which show you that all you have to do to know what this kit does is simply convert rear springs to linear rates (600-700#), and increase front linear rate to about 350-400#. Align, set bars for personal taste and then test at the track. Fine tune handling with swaybars, but if bigger handling changes are needed, you need to swap spring rates again. Now you have enough spring rate up front to hold the car up and leave the front bar on full soft or medium depending on how you like to balance the car, including camber settings. Then you add the bits like toe links, etc. etc. and then you really start to enjoy the linear rates by firming up the geometry, which only further provides consistent handling.

B16 Spring rates are as follows:
Front: Main 340 lbs/in - Tender 115 lbs/in
Rear: Main 570 lbs/in - Tender: 115 lbs/in

- All four springs are linear compared to the stock progressive rear, linear front
- The kit comes with helper springs rated at 115#
- Front springs are 50% stiffer (340#)
- Rear springs are as stiff as the stock ones
- Shocks have improved sport mode and normal mode valving
- The kit was tuned at the Nurburgring
- Compatible with the stock camber plates.
- Uses the stock drop links

I'm just trying to educate myself for when I finally pull the trigger on a .1 GT3.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

How does that compare to MKII RS?
It works much better then MKI softer, but more grip somehow.

Quick Reply: 997.1 RS -- Bilstein Damptronics -- feedback