Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 RS -- Bilstein Damptronics -- feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

So after two weeks' research I've decided to go for KW V3s, mostly because of the stiffer spring rates vs. Bilsteins (my car's 50% track), and also because of my sour experience with the OEM Bilsteins (I'm on my second set of front shocks that's developed crazy rattles due to excessive play within the damper).

Losing PASM is the obvious downside, but I'm hoping I'll cope with it on the streets.

While the mechanics are at it, I've thrown in a set of Motorsport / RSR lower control arms for a wider front track (monoballs too) and the motorsport toe-steer kit.

Am gonna get busy with diallin-in the suspension this week and will test it out on the track next weekend... can't wait!!

p.s. I realize I've just opened pandora's box of suspension mods... wiser folks on this forum have warned that this is a slippery slope...

Last edited by CRex; 08-03-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
see, what did i tell ya....
roberga and i went to same school and majored in helping others spread THEIR wealth.
Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
like i need the help in spending money on this car :-)
Yes, but unlike many things in life spending money on your RS comes with no nasty morning-after buyer's remorse hangover
Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see, what did i tell ya....
roberga and i went to same school and majored in helping others spread THEIR wealth.
Having no money of my own after putting 300 gallons in my boat, it is my patriotic duty to help sitmulate the economy.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:49 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
Having no money of my own after putting 300 gallons in my boat, it is my patriotic duty to help sitmulate the economy.
stop messing around with that boat and get your track car!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Should be next season but never know. I keep thinking of a 930 slant which is sorted out but that 8,000 rpm keeps me waiting. Maybe a donor 996Gt3 with a 3.9?? Anyway, I committed to my wife that I would wait until 11.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,673 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Should be next season but never know. I keep thinking of a 930 slant which is sorted out but that 8,000 rpm keeps me waiting. Maybe a donor 996Gt3 with a 3.9?? Anyway, I committed to my wife that I would wait until 11.
2010 is only 4 months away. not bad.
a sorted 930, you got to be kidding. they dont exist.
you have to keeping on sorting....

996 gt3 is the way to go....
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

oh, no.... you have a boat....
it's much cheaper if you just start using pure cocaine....
my saving grace is that i hate swimming, hate pools, hate water, hate boating.... otherwise i really would need to start robbing banks.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you driven ORP yet? Bring your land yacht (P4S) out to ORP mid-Aug. That will convince you to buy your track car by the end of the month.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

I can not do that. Paciific is good. Kind of fun lapping a 911 in the boat :-). I only do it for 15-20 then take out the Kitch Lotus and bet the **** out of it.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

oh, no.... you have a boat....
it's much cheaper if you just start using pure cocaine....
my saving grace is that i hate swimming, hate pools, hate water, hate boating.... otherwise i really would need to start robbing banks.
Yes: .73MPG :-0 and only going 25MPH.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes: .73MPG :-0 and only going 25MPH.
i am sure sharkwerk can do something for you?
i walk faster than 25mph.
long long is the thing? i want to invite myself there. never been on yachts/boats, other than princess cruise....

2nd thought. NO.
i fear i end up liking it....
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
So after two weeks' research I've decided to go for KW V3s, mostly because of the stiffer spring rates vs. Bilsteins (my car's 50% track), and also because of my sour experience with the OEM Bilsteins (I'm on my second set of front shocks that's developed crazy rattles due to excessive play within the damper).

Losing PASM is the obvious downside, but I'm hoping I'll cope with it on the streets.

While the mechanics are at it, I've thrown in a set of Motorsport / RSR lower control arms for a wider front track (monoballs too) and the motorsport toe-steer kit.

Am gonna get busy with diallin-in the suspension this week and will test it out on the track next weekend... can't wait!!

p.s. I realize I've just opened pandora's box of suspension mods... wiser folks on this forum have warned that this is a slippery slope...

RSR control arms will not give you a wider track, what they will do is give you some more camber
with no shims!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 105 Posts

H&R make the OEM springs for the .1 GT3/RS....and you can buy linear H&R race springs in standard 60mm sizes (which are the stock size) in virtually any linear rate and spring height for a direct replacement. TPC is basically doing the same thing with their kit by only replacing the springs (front), but are using a different spring manufacturer simply because they use them on their race cars....thus needing to replace the upper perch. I asked them about this.

Why not just try some stiffer H&R springs?.....shock valving accomodates ranges, not just a single rate. You mean to tell me that Porsche's motorsport baby can't handle higher springs rates? I call total B.S. on that one.

The stock 2010 RS was recently raced for 24hrs on the Ring using the OEM shocks with MUCH stiffer linear H&R race springs to accomodate slicks. 24hrs on the Ring in full race conditions is the equivalent to about 10 years worth of DE's. All I read was praise on the RS's handling. It's not like the valving in the .2 shocks are light years beyond the .1's.

If I had an RS, I'd simply find an H&R race spring distributor and buy a set of stiffer springs, add some GMG bars and other bits, get the car aligned/corner weighted and head to the track. A set of springs costs you $120, so you can play with different rates to suit your style or liking. At such a miniscule cost, how can you afford not to try? You think the shock manufacturers are going to tell you to just switch springs? Not so much.

TPC has hit the nail on the head for those not wanting to go to traditional adjustable dampers, but you are essentially paying for their consultation of which rate to use. You need enough spring to hold the car up, then use bars and camber for additional tuning. Increasing the front and/or rears 100-200# would make a big difference, especially for those who are using DOT R-comps. Hell, at minimum I'd change everything over to a linear rate, even if the rate remains the exact same.

Last edited by Mvez; 08-04-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

mvez - do you know what spring rates were used on the car for 24 hours of n-ring?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 763 Posts

mvez - do you know what spring rates were used on the car for 24 hours of n-ring?
I am trying to find out the same...

Quick Reply: 997.1 RS -- Bilstein Damptronics -- feedback