Next GT3 Specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 PM
sgnl05
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
re: PDK/DSG/DCT/insert lame dual-clutch acronym here

While it may be the future, they are still "automatic" transmissions, and still do not offer the driving engagement of a three-pedal manual with a proper gearbox. Of course quicker shifter matters in a wheel-to-wheel race, but how many of us go wheel-to-wheel racing? In HPDE track sessions do lap times between cars really matter that much, or is the primary enjoyment really a result of the engagement of our senses while driving our cars at speed and challenging ourselves? In an individual car with the same driver, lap times can be important measures of our relative improvement across sessions, but there is always going to be someone who shows up with the next quicker AWD, turbo, dual-clutch, active suspension, electronically controlled playstation supercar.

In fact one of the reasons I think many of us love the current GT3 is its largely analog feel, with the real manual a significant part of that feel. Sure, it's technically awesome when a dual-clutch rev-matches perfectly on every downshift, but does it not feel so much better when you execute well a rev-matched downshift on your own, and is not the challenge of doing so part of the fun?

For me it's about driver involvement and engagement, and thus why I will very much regret the day a proper manual transmission is not available on our automobiles.

I still photograph with film and it's becoming harder and harder to track down the necessary tools to keep doing so. Film, developing and printing are all quickly fading in the haze of subtastic digital efforts. I think there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument but eventually the business model wins out. Let's hope that if/when Porsche goes to a PDK they also offer the manual as an option.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnl05
I still photograph with film and it's becoming harder and harder to track down the necessary tools to keep doing so. Film, developing and printing are all quickly fading in the haze of subtastic digital efforts. I think there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument but eventually the business model wins out. Let's hope that if/when Porsche goes to a PDK they also offer the manual as an option.
Great analogy. I do BW fins in medium format as well as 35mm view finder leicas. Finding film, paper and good dark room is getting tough. No one wants to support it. Show up with a mamiya, they think u r from 19 century!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:06 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Devils advocate

I was a scratch golfer. Used ms2, mp14 blades. Some of the hardest clubs to hit. But when u pure it, nothing quite feel like that. But I now play with cavity bk. I no linger need practice.

In theory no abs, stick, no pwr str is pure. But no many get it right most of the time.

That said, I like stick but it's going away at dime point v
Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
sgnl05
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
Great analogy. I do BW fins in medium format as well as 35mm view finder leicas. Finding film, paper and good dark room is getting tough. No one wants to support it. Show up with a mamiya, they think u r from 19 century!
I'm shooting mostly slide film with a Hasselblad 501, Fuji GX-617 and Canon EOS-3. The idea of cameras going all digital is not far removed from the push for performance cars to go to a paddle shift system. I don't want to argue with anyone over either of them. I don't want to tell anyone which to choose. I know what I like, and that's what I want. Just keep film / manual shift in the product offering and I'm ok.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i am all for that. but the bean counters always work against us. i am also a die hard vinyl guy (LP, records, black disc that makes music and static for those too young to know). in late 80's i can still find used record for good prices. now..... $50 a pop if i am lucky. some virgin vinyl are $400 a pop. i had to give up. and ppl who konw how to set up my oracle delph IV, well tempered or versa dynamic ET2 are getting very hard to find. the closest is 400 miles away. it's not that i like PDK. i fear i may have no choice, look at scuderia or stradale, no stick, sigh.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM
sgnl05
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i am all for that. but the bean counters always work against us. i am also a die hard vinyl guy (LP, records, black disc that makes music and static for those too young to know). in late 80's i can still find used record for good prices. now..... $50 a pop if i am lucky. some virgin vinyl are $400 a pop. i had to give up. and ppl who konw how to set up my oracle delph IV, well tempered or versa dynamic ET2 are getting very hard to find. the closest is 400 miles away. it's not that i like PDK. i fear i may have no choice, look at scuderia or stradale, no stick, sigh.
You're not peering in the window here are you? I've got a substantial vinyl collection here as well. I doubt we are listening to the same things but traveling a similar path of the dinosaurs. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait and see what comes of all of this.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sgnl05
You're not peering in the window here are you? I've got a substantial vinyl collection here as well. I doubt we are listening to the same things but traveling a similar path of the dinosaurs. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait and see what comes of all of this.
LOL, great to see another analogue phile. there are few of us on RL. so i guess you must also run tubes? i am a triode guy. i stil have all the stuff, but i left it with my parents in LA. no time no mood to enjoy it anymore with kids running around using them like frisbees.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Let me correct my last thread on this somewhat...what I mean is I hope Porsche give us the next GT3 with both PDK and manual shift. I can absilutly understand why some want a manual shift....but for me for my own personal reasons I need a PDK in order to drive this car...Porsche...please please please PDK in a GT3.....thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I think you will get your wish..

Quick Reply: Next GT3 Specs