Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Let me get this straight, if one were to order this particular Exclusive option...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
This seems to be the case with the 2011 GT3 as well. I was at my dealer today finalizing stuff and we tried to find XDZ and add it to my order but no dice. I guess I'll be ordering that piece from suncoast.

I was able to add alcantara sun visors though, and I also decided to go with the leather rear center console. I considered having the center console painted to aqua blue exterior but figured I could always do that later via bumperplugs.
If you really want the center painted then do it now; if you still can. By the time you pay for the console, return your core and add labor your cost is very close and you have to have someone pull apart your center console; unless you're doing your own work. Bumperplugs is great, but there's nothing lacking with the quality of the factory work either.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I agree that most options have very little or zero residual value. For me a >$100k Porsche needs to have full leather and a few -just a few- other options, so if I were shopping I'd pay something more for that full leather car or simply not consider the hard plastic one. If I had to guess, I'd say full leather has somewhere between a $1000-$1,500 value to me.
In a GT3/RS leather interior is not really a must have. After all it is a race car, combined with the clubsport package and seats covered with fire-retardant nomex.

Carrera (S) or Turbo, that's a different story
Old 08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
In a GT3/RS leather interior is not really a must have. After all it is a race car, combined with the clubsport package and seats covered with fire-retardant nomex.

Carrera (S) or Turbo, that's a different story
That's your opinion and that's cool but again, for me, leather IS a must have. As much as the gt3/RS are "race cars", they are also what a 911 street car should be, especially the .2 gt3. To make either a dedicated track/race car will take having the (well documented) coolant lines fixed, brake pads, brake fluids, cage and other incidentals changed or installed. Definitely the closest thing to a track ready car Porsche offers but to say that a gt3 is not a street car is preposterous. (and, the clubsport package is not offered in the states.)

I've owned a 997 turbo, and two Carreras (CS and C4S cab). Compared to these cars the gt3 feels right at home on the street. I'm not saying that the car should not be at the track to fully enjoy one but that does not mean that one can not be thoroughly enjoyed as a street car. I find my other (sold) Porsches and current BMW 3 series to be way to soft (actually the BMW has always been too soft) now that I have a .2 3.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
That's your opinion and that's cool but again, for me, leather IS a must have. As much as the gt3/RS are "race cars", they are also what a 911 street car should be, especially the .2 gt3. To make either a dedicated track/race car will take having the (well documented) coolant lines fixed, brake pads, brake fluids, cage and other incidentals changed or installed. Definitely the closest thing to a track ready car Porsche offers but to say that a gt3 is not a street car is preposterous. (and, the clubsport package is not offered in the states.)

I've owned a 997 turbo, and two Carreras (CS and C4S cab). Compared to these cars the gt3 feels right at home on the street. I'm not saying that the car should not be at the track to fully enjoy one but that does not mean that one can not be thoroughly enjoyed as a street car. I find my other (sold) Porsches and current BMW 3 series to be way to soft (actually the BMW has always been too soft) now that I have a .2 3.
Great to hear that "street" review 911dev! I specced my 2011 gt3 (due in Sept./Oct.) with leather because it was a MUST have IMO. My car will not see much track time, although I hope to do some DE events. When I was looking for a used 2010 gt3, I basically ruled out any cars without leather. To each their own.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM
911dev
Drifting

^ Congrats, you're going to love it. Every time I look at the leather in my car I know that I made the right choice.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 PM
TurboS2013
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mark FM
I have the Alcantara sunvisors, and the big advantage of this option is that the stupid warning stickers peel right off!!! WIth the standard plastic ones, they are fused to the visor and the only way to get rid of them is to cover them with black stickers. For me, not having the stickers was worth the price of this option!

I have Aqua blue with the center console painted to match - it looks fantastic! My previous GT-3 had the leather console and it looked kind of plain. To each their own, but I do not regret the painted console with the PORSCHE storage lid.

No wart for me!

Good luck with your order!

Mark
Your car sounds awesome, but what drew me to your post was what you said about the Alcantara Sun Visors. My 997.2 Turbo S came with an Alcantara headliner but the black plastic sun visors with the hideous stickers! I have been trying to find a VIN for a ROW car that came with Alcantara visors so they would not have the stickers on them from Porsche. No luck. I have contacted Suncoast and they are looking into it, but so far, they can order me visors WITH the stickers for about $1300. Now, if the stickers simply peal off leaving absolutely NO marks or sign of ever being there, problem solved, I will order those. However there is a 3-5 MONTH wait and no return policy for said item so I need to be sure of what I am getting into. Please advise.

Thank you,
Rudy
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS2013
My 997.2 Turbo S came with an Alcantara headliner but the black plastic sun visors with the hideous stickers!
I also have an alcantara headliner and plastic visors. Why not buy the full leather visors which are $1,332 at Suncoast?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
TurboS2013
AutoX

Originally Posted by dasams
I also have an alcantara headliner and plastic visors. Why not buy the full leather visors which are $1,332 at Suncoast?
I think that with the headliner being Alcantara it will look perfect with the matching visors. I am going to get the leather console cover with crest soon also. I added the PDK leather surround this spring and it is awesome.

Quick Reply: Let me get this straight, if one were to order this particular Exclusive option...