Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Let me get this straight, if one were to order this particular Exclusive option...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
The plastic between the gearshift lever and the centre console. Just in front of the open storage compartment in behind the gearshift lever.
Maybe you mean 4.1b on the attached diagram.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

4.1b is it.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless things have changed, option code XDZ is not offered for the RS. Similarly, the leather wrapped overhead light console, (leather dome lamp) option code xZD was not offered when I ordered my RS. However, Suncoast has these pieces for a similar price to what the options cost from the factory. I ordered through Suncoast and installed them myself. It does fininsh these areas nicely, but I am sure I added atleast 2-3 onces to weight of my car!

Mark
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
Unless things have changed, option code XDZ is not offered for the RS. Similarly, the leather wrapped overhead light console, (leather dome lamp) option code xZD was not offered when I ordered my RS. However, Suncoast has these pieces for a similar price to what the options cost from the factory. I ordered through Suncoast and installed them myself. It does fininsh these areas nicely, but I am sure I added atleast 2-3 onces to weight of my car!

Mark
I hope you are suitably ashamed of yourself!

I cant talk ... whoever ordered the car I eventually bought specced leather on the seatbacks, the dome light and the defroster trim ... why oh why oh why?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I hope you are suitably ashamed of yourself!

I cant talk ... whoever ordered the car I eventually bought specced leather on the seatbacks, the dome light and the defroster trim ... why oh why oh why?
Your car certainly is over the top, but I do like the piano black -- goes a long way to making the cabin resemble something you'd expect to find in a $150K car in 2010. I was looking at an Aston the other day. The Brits build some ludicrously bad cars (and we'll see about the McLaren 12C) but their coachwork is impeccable.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Your car certainly is over the top, but I do like the piano black -- goes a long way to making the cabin resemble something you'd expect to find in a $150K car in 2010. I was looking at an Aston the other day. The Brits build some ludicrously bad cars (and we'll see about the McLaren 12C) but their coachwork is impeccable.
speaking of which, I am almost certain I saw a McLaren crossing the Golden Gate Bridge last Sunday ... either that or it was a lambo in the same metallic gold/bronze color as the MP4-12C press photos ... are they shipping yet?

+1 on the aston coachwork ...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

speaking of which, I am almost certain I saw a McLaren crossing the Golden Gate Bridge last Sunday ... either that or it was a lambo in the same metallic gold/bronze color as the MP4-12C press photos ... are they shipping yet?

+1 on the aston coachwork ...
I heard a rumor there's a car or two here for Monterey next month and they were hanging around Palo Alto. Probably heading up north to another company bidding to open a dealership north. As far as I know, there's only one dealer, going to be in Palo Alto, to service the Bay Area. At a glance, the 12C is most likely mistaken for a Lotus Evora and there's a few of those around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHcLP0wvENQ
Old 07-31-2010, 08:19 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM

Mark
This seems to be the case with the 2011 GT3 as well. I was at my dealer today finalizing stuff and we tried to find XDZ and add it to my order but no dice. I guess I'll be ordering that piece from suncoast.

I was able to add alcantara sun visors though, and I also decided to go with the leather rear center console. I considered having the center console painted to aqua blue exterior but figured I could always do that later via bumperplugs.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:06 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by masmole
This seems to be the case with the 2011 GT3 as well. I was at my dealer today finalizing stuff and we tried to find XDZ and add it to my order but no dice. I guess I'll be ordering that piece from suncoast.

I was able to add alcantara sun visors though, and I also decided to go with the leather rear center console. I considered having the center console painted to aqua blue exterior but figured I could always do that later via bumperplugs.
No kidding, WTF! Porsche must have removed it from the 2011 ordering guide; my 2010 was optioned with it.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:32 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know why Porsche doesn't offer that piece in alcantara... seems like a much better way to tie things together. Here is my solution: (Yes, yes, I know... too bling for some of you)
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2010, 05:52 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAMS
I don't know why Porsche doesn't offer that piece in alcantara... seems like a much better way to tie things together. Here is my solution: (Yes, yes, I know... too bling for some of you)
Very nice. I like the leather there, but either way is good. Can't really go wrong as there is Alcantara of the gear-shift side and leather on the PCM surround side.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by masmole

just my POV, if you are going to paint it, paint the ctr console at the factory, not aftermarket, if the option does not appear as it was delivered from the factory it would effect the resale IMHO YMMV
Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

just my POV, if you are going to paint it, paint the ctr console at the factory, not aftermarket, if the option does not appear as it was delivered from the factory it would effect the resale IMHO YMMV
Isn't that "affect" ... I never seem to have affect and effect in the right usage ...

(or ellipses)

Anyway, given the near zero value of options on resale, I don't see the point in, as they say, "building the car for the next buyer." Ferrari buyers seem to delight in choosing options to suit the secondary market and that's fine ... at least it used to be ... when Ferraris had resale value ... :|

Personally, I'm looking at JAMS' new RS and I have to say, it's an impressive cabin compared to the New York Taxi interior of my car -- hard plastic and chrome painted plastic just doesn't live up to the price tag of the whole car. And if they're going to make it a spartan cabin, let's have fireproof seat fabric and carpet, etc.

I'm reminded of the '73 RS. I think Porsche should offer the RS as a "Touring" model with coachwork to justify the price tag (and bump the price tag up by $5K or $7K to justify some decent materials and higher standards of fit and finish.)

And there should be the car really stripped down in a "Lightweight" model. No Xenon headlights, nothing in the frunk, carbon front and hood, delete option on the Lithium battery, no radio (so long as there's no center console) and all the stuff we'd like to see (pull up windows, user programmable PASM, weld plates for a full cage, plumbed for a fire system, timing, etc. All the things I've mentioned in previous posts about things like a place to secure the fire tank, the cool shirt tank, bespoke mounts for in-car timing, complete data acquisition with analog pick-ups wired in, blade adjustable sways with cabin adjusters, dual master brakes with cabin bias adjuster, you name it. Why not? DOT regulation? Bullsh..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Anyway, given the near zero value of options on resale, I don't see the point in, as they say, "building the car for the next buyer."
I agree 100%

I'm building this car for me and what I think I'm going to like in my GT3, whether I keep it for 2 or 20 years. Frankly, I could care less about resale value because having traded heavily-optioned cars in on a yearly basis now, I've come to realize that you're right, most minor details in options have very little to do with resale except maybe for exterior color. And color is definitely not something I would ever choose based on resale value.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
911dev
Drifting

I agree that most options have very little or zero residual value. For me a >$100k Porsche needs to have full leather and a few -just a few- other options, so if I were shopping I'd pay something more for that full leather car or simply not consider the hard plastic one. If I had to guess, I'd say full leather has somewhere between a $1000-$1,500 value to me.

Call it bling or whatever but it's what I like and expect in expensive cars like these. It's like anything else in life, there is some enjoyment for the owner while owning a car with options the owner desires. The entire idea of buying one of these cars to begin with is a losing proposition. Some options just exaggerate that. Personally, I limit my option list, with resale in mind of course, however, turning a $115,000 (bland car, imo) into a $122,000 (decently optioned car) doesn't really change much in the realm of resale. If we're going to pay the former then the latter really shouldn't matter. And, the latter WILL bring something more than the former; so the delta is not as great as $7k.

Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Let me get this straight, if one were to order this particular Exclusive option...